Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking a horse on a bicycle

Options
  • 18-01-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭

Hopefully the title will be some source of amusement. :)

I was cycling out near Blessington yesterday, not one of my usual routes but the mountains are still thawing out. At one point I had to overtake a group of four or five horses with riders, and then later a single horse being led by a walking rider.

My question is this: what's the preferred etiquette for cyclists approaching from behind? I think I gave the single horse a little scare when I overtook. I wasn't close to him(her?) at all - in fact I was as far away as possible, but obviously it still surprised him. I don't have a bell on my road bike - should I be making noise from a short distance to make horses (and riders) aware of my presence.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Musto

Absolutely, make noise as you are approaching, to let the horses know something is approaching from behind. Hopefully, the rider will hear you and stop the horse and turn its ass into the ditch. Then it will see you passing and hopefully not think you are a horse eating monster!!

I once had a very close call when a cyclist passed me from behind. My mare is very good at cow kicking (kicking out to the side). I'm happily walking along the road when suddenly my mare does a double barrell kick out behind and then does two cow kicks out to the side. The cyclist did get an awful fright, as did I. If I had heard him coming I would have turned my mare to show her what was coming and avoid the kicking out.

Whistle or sing - anything, just don't come up quietly. I'd also make sure to pass as far to the other side as possible, in case you come upon another champion cow kicker...

Musto & Eclipse (the cow kicker!!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's an interesting one alright. I've come across similar situations when cycling up the dublin mountains. And i'd always keep my distance from a horse. But i was always unsure whether or not a should make noise. At least now i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably quite annoyingly for horse riders, a lot of people believe that you should be as quiet as possible to avoid scaring the horse. So obviously blaring an air horn won't help, but talking loudly or whistling will.

Just a noise to warn them that something is coming. Some horses would be fine, but there are others (mine included) that would decide that attack is the best form of defense. Others may decide flight is the best option, which would be very dangerous.. Galloping on a road with steel shoes on a horses feet, is like trying to sprint on ice! Very very scary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I remember this coming up before, cyclists being particularly unsettling because they make no noise until they are right alongside.

Like Musto says, shouting "cyclist" or "on your right" and moving out a lot (all the way over if possible), don't try and skim alongside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'd agree with what's been said above - making some noise is always a good idea - but it should be vocal, such as shouting 'hello' or 'behind you' rather than ringing a bell or blaring a horn as horseso tend to get a fright when something like that sounds, but will know the sound of a human voice and won't jump out in the middle of the road with fright.

As Musto said, leave as much room as possible between you and the horse when you're passing, just incase the horse spooks at the 'hissing'* noise the bike makes on the road.

I've had cyclists pass me from behind on the odd occasion, and most of the time neither I nor the horse realised that they were there until they were beside me. I'm not sure who got the biggest fright - me or the horse!

Maybe when you're about 20 lengths or so from the horse, give a shout to let them know you're there. Then slow down, wait for the rider to see you and to decide how to deal with the situation. Some may simply just call you on, while others, like Musto and I, would probably turn around to let the horse know you're coming and then call you on, hoping that you'd leave as much space as possible between you and us! :)

*I know 'hissing' isn't the most accurate description of the noise, but it's the best one I could come up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cool, thanks guys and girls! It was a new situation for me, so I was pretty much passing before I realised I might cause some alarm. Good to know about the cow kicking as well - that would be a nasty surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

My mare pulls a freaker when she sees bicycles! So I would normally be on the look out for them, she's brilliant with everything else (bar rickety trailers!) so when in a group we are normally in the rear.
    I find that if I see a cyclist (or a group) when on the group hack I will shout a warning to the others ahead to me, just like we would do with cars or especially tractors! This normally gives my mare a good warning.
    She has gone mental a few times with bikes, rearing up and everything, I often have to get off her in order to calm her, it's not the cyclist's fault, my mare is just a weirdo sometimes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Thanks for all the info. And it has been posted on the cycling forum to educate.

I'm an occasional cyclist and like winning racehorses that carry my money. "Slow down for horses. Horses slow down for me". :rolleyes:

I didn't know they might cow kick a passing cyclist. I thought they had almost 360 degree vision and could see anything approaching from the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

Horses have amazing peripheral vision however they do have two blind spots — one is directly in front of their nose extending around four feet in front of it, and the other behind the tail, about ten feet long.
    horse_vision.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Call out 'cyclist' or whistle, a bell could be a bit sudden. Pass with as much room as possible. If they are two abreast they should go into single file to allow any traffic (not just cars) to pass when it is safe to do.

Horse riders should be frequently checking behind them as well as wearing hi viz articles on themselves and the animals.

Musto, if attack is your horses prefered form of defence than is it an animal that should be on the road? Is it an exageration or does he kick out in malice.

Hi Doctor Evil

I do very little road work on her as she has no respect for any traffic. The day of the cyclist, I was riding her on a narrow country road, with virtually no traffic. She has a facination for cattle, so was concentrating on the cattle in the fields to her left when the cyclist got close. I totally never expected a cyclist, so when she spotted him, she did kick out 3 times. She would kick out if she got fright, but more to warn away than to actually get contact. Neither I nor the cyclist expected it. She did try to take off, but I managed to hold her.
    Cyclists just need to be aware that horses will react differently. Some will have no issue at all and on the other end of the scale, some may react violently.
    Eclipse isn't dangerous or anything, but she will protect her space. I don't bring her into situations where she feels she has to protect it very often. Out hunting, she is perfect, loves hounds, they can run under her if they please. But if my dog comes out into the field, she insists that she lie down and not run about. Otherwise she does drive her off. She has her own rules and as long as I understand them, there are no issues. We don't do crowds of people, shows, competitions etc. But out XC in a large group is fine, on a quiet road with very little traffic is fine. She may not suit everyone, but to me she is perfect!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I get what you are saying but to be fair you got to expect the unexpected. Traffic is not just cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

All good advice, but I just wanted to the emphasise the need to approach slowly. There is no point shouting out when you are only a few metres behind and then whizzing on by at full speed - you need to allow the rider time to react. So it's safer to at least slow down, or perhaps stop until you are sure that the rider has seen you. If the horse is visibly agitated, wait for the rider's signal before moving past and give a wide berth.

Horses have much better hearing than humans and so can hear the high pitched hum from the spokes, so they do tend to react to bikes, even, in my experience, the ones who take no notice of vehicular traffic.

Advertisement