Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the worst flood the US has ever seen

Options
  • 31-08-2005 3:00pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I am surprised no one has posted up about htis yet. It is all thats in the news over here...
    an entire city is under water!!!

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9063708/

I feel so bad for all of those people, the city may not be put back together for years!
    An entire city...can you imagine?

The streets are flooded and rising, and now the alligators and water snakes are everywhere, its dangerous and sad....so many people lost everything they had. thousands of homes gone....and they are still finding the dead...and searching for survivors.

I wish there were something I could do :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis bad alright, and getting worse not better. I hardly watch TV news these days so was'nt aware as I should have been about how badly its hit Mississippi. It looks like the whole coastal zone is Ok-ed for months if not a year or two. One could'nt help but notice how its the poorest who seem to have been left behind.

I suspect they'll be a fund you could add too soon enough.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In other news over 600 dead in Iraq over a scare (1000 or more expected to be totally). I'm sure that will get little to no air time. :/

Hobbes, Iraq led all the Ireland/Uk lunchtime news progs except er Sky who were at St James Park watching Michael Owen!

Both are bad both deserve coverage, eh?

Mike.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

and it is also in our news here, perhaps youd like to start a thread of your own instead of highjacking this one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hobbes wrote:
    In other news over 600 dead in Iraq over a scare (1000 or more expected to be totally). I'm sure that will get little to no air time. :/

I'm pretty sure it will, that doesn't mean that it's the only valid news story at the moment, though. I'd hardly call Hurricane Katrina irrelevent, so please keep other topics for other threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mike65 wrote:
    I suspect they'll be a fund you could add too soon enough.
    Mike.

I think the US government is more than able (and willing) to fund any necessary efforts, this isn't like the Tsunami where the countries affected are unable to afford to cover the damage.

eoin_s wrote:
    I think the US government is more than able (and willing) to fund any necessary efforts, this isn't like the Tsunami where the countries affected are unable to afford to cover the damage.

Something tells me they'd rather keep the money for something more useful, like weapons.
    Charitys will fundraise, and insurance companies will try and avoid paying out. Remember there were fundraisers after 11th September 2001 for victims and families, this is just another type of human tragedy

thousands feared dead,
    recent update:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9063708/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

loads of my family were stuck in it and my uncle was stuck on the roof of his house because it was so high.
    i was talking to them today they are all fine,thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

I am also surpised that something this disasterous , no matter where it has occured , would have so little postings about it. According to this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/hurricanes_and_tropical_storms

THOUSANDS have died. I heard that the dead are pushed aside so that they can continue to search for and rescue the living. Just because the U.S. is more able to provide disaster relief within thier own borders doesn't make it any less a tragic event. :(

THEZAPPA wrote:
    loads of my family were stuck in it and my uncle was stuck on the roof of his house because it was so high.
    i was talking to them today they are all fine,thankfully.

omg, I am glad they are okay!
    its terrible, I was just thanking the gods that my aunt still didnt live down there or she'd have been right in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

LATIN BEAT wrote:
    omg, I am glad they are okay!
    its terrible, I was just thanking the gods that my aunt still didnt live down there or she'd have been right in the middle of it.

my family live in New Orleans and some in Missisippi and i go there alot,
    the houses are right under the water.
    i was so worried when i heard it happened but they called me when they could.
    im just glad they are alive,but some family friend of mine died she drowned,it still hasnt sunk in. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

It's terrible to watch the news and see that the poor of the area, those who had no car to pack up and leave in, those who have health issues, those who had nowhere else to go, are suffering even more now.

To think this is happening in such a rich country too - makes you think. I have friends in N.O. that I haven't heard from - they're car owners, so I presume they got away, but I haven't heard anything yet. Seems lots of people stayed for various reasons and are now feared dead in their attics, having gone up there as the water rose. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

i must be a self Centered Bastard cuz i honestly couldnt give a **** about what happened

i only care for my family and friends and thats all

no point letting something OUT OF YOUR CONTROL effect you

**** happens guys people die every day

"I wish there were something I could do "

lol thats bull**** if you did wish that then you';d be other there "helping" N.o put itself back together again

get a grip

LATIN BEAT wrote:
    and it is also in our news here, perhaps youd like to start a thread of your own instead of highjacking this one?

Apologies it wasn't my intention to hijack. Its just that people on the whole seem to be able to only focus on one situation in the world at a time.

As for giving money...

http://www.networkforgood.org/ = Lists numerous legitimate places to donate.

Personally I used the Red Cross but I know a lot of Americans got pissed off with ARC over the 9/11. Basically were given way more money then needed but people threatend to withdraw donations after they found the money was going to other worthy needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i must be a self Centered Bastard cuz i honestly couldnt give a **** about what happened

lol thats bull**** if you did wish that then you';d be other there "helping" N.o put itself back together again

get a grip

Ignorant f*ck!!

yes , you have to ignore children like stonedparadox...
    and wonder why people like himself couldnt have been locked in an attic of a flooding house.

anyway,
    thanks for that Hobbes...Im thinking about getting a donation party together and sending the proceeds down. Its a shame Im not a nurse yet or Id donate my time down there helping out with the red cross...
    thousands people homeless now all material things lost and some family members drowned. Its a tragedy we wont soon recover from. It will take years to rebuild that city.

BBC reporting the rescue helicopter(s?) is being shot at.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4205074.stm

get a grip

If you don't care about something, or can't care about something, so be it, but if you couldn't care less about what is happening, then why are you posting on a thread in the News/Media forum which exists mainly to report news on the event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

See www.wdsu.com - a New Orleans based TV station, their coverage over the last fews days has been excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

yes im an ignorant **** no need to get so uptight and upset

and theres no point calling my a child just cuz i care for family and friends and thats it
    thats just plain stupid

thats just plain stupid
    Nah the word you are looking for is selfish.
    You are just selfish.
    Thats understandable.

Theres one problem with being selfish to the extent you display though and thats the fact that you might get ignored when you need help sometime.
    But I suppose you wouldn't mind that, but at the same time,if you put the selfishness into widespread practice, you'll have to suffer the consequenses - Alone (probably)

often times its sad to hear of people dying but it doesnt really hit home till its someone you know.
    While I dont know him I grew up listening to his music as many did and now has joined the list of those missing in the floods:

Fats Dominoe

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=200427&GT1=6952

South Mississippi News
    from ground zero.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

more linkage with streaming video
    http://www.wwltv.com/ - WWL TV Channel 4

Both WDSU and WWL are broadcasting solely on the internet, to their refugee viewers and their families. it must be costing them a packet in bandwidth costs.

It looks like WWL have moved out of their makeshift studio in the transmitter room which they have been using since they came back on air (on the web only though) after the storm.

Appears the flooding may not be the worst of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4204900.stm

Satellite pix here Well only one at the moment but more will be added.

Mike.

Advertisement