Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stark Digital-is This For Real???

Options
  • 11-12-2006 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

good morning all,

i came across a site yesterday called www.starkdigital.co.uk and the prices seem too good to be true, just wondering if anyone has dealt with them and if you are liable to pay for import duty etc or what is the catch...i'm confused but maybe bein over cautiopus from being a ripped off consumer in this country :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

scam - http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/blog/?p=18

starkdigital.co.uk currently ONLY accepts international payment via Bank Transfer and Western Union.
    International credit cards and checks are not accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

:eek: http://db.aa419.org/fakebankslist.php

found this when i was snoopin around!!

wow, it was too good to be true, damn them temptin me with their low low prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

My father wanted to buy a camera off starkdigital and since he was on a business trip he asked me to order it so it'd arrive in time for Christmas. I googled them to find the site and lucky enough I looked at some of the other links first, all of them saying this was a scam.

They're "selling" really expensive electronics and some people end up loosing a few grand to them. Such bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Just out of interest I rang the number on the website earlier today, isn't even a real phone number. Funny there's actually a hotel at the address and postcode they list in Piccadilly, I gather it's a real hotel though. I wonder why they picked that address, perhaps they pick up their western union payments at the hotel in question. Can't find if there's anything at the WHOIS registrant's address. I suppose it be a matter for the UK police... but it's terrible how they can just blatantly steal money from people like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the domainsare usually registered in a credit card that has been acquired through identity fraud.
    that person wont even know a card is out in there name.

• Advertisement

I suppose it be a matter for the UK police... but it's terrible how they can just blatantly steal money from people like that.

Thats one of the problems, they almost certainly aren't from the UK. There are a lot of these type of sites set up with .co.uk websites. It must be easier to get or something, I'm not sure exactly how it works. Also, when I emailed them with regards to what the tax on the camera would be it took them about 3 days to reply and when the did reply it was at 2 a.m.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

A sure sign is that none of the symbols on the site link to anywhere. The HP logo should link to a HP site for example. The biggest one is the Verisign logo at the bottom that says "click to verify" but doesn't actually link anywhere...

Fair play to them though, other than that it looks like a very well put together webshop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It must be a lot easier to get a .co.uk domain than to get a .ie domain here. From another thread a place called axiumgames.co.uk is also scamming.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Interesting thread this. Shockin' stuff really.

I must admit to having paid for expensive items with cash online before (ebay) and had no trouble. I was a smidge nervous, but got exactly what I paid for at a knock down price. German sellers in particular are fond of bank transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It just goes to show how people these days get duped into buying fictional items. Especially when a lot of the older generation are getting online. Take that opening site. If I didn't know any better I would say thats not a bad looking site, professional even. The name 'starkdigital' promotes legitimacy also. I for one think they are a shower of ****. I wonder where there live cameras are feeding from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Khannie wrote:
    Interesting thread this. Shockin' stuff really.

I must admit to having paid for expensive items with cash online before (ebay) and had no trouble. I was a smidge nervous, but got exactly what I paid for at a knock down price. German sellers in particular are fond of bank transfers.

At least on Ebay you have the feedback system. I know it can be scammed but a bit of common sense can save you a loss. And as for the Germans - credit cards never really caught on there as they have in other countries. That's why they often don't take them.

petes wrote:
    I wonder where there live cameras are feeding from?

I've heard they feed from other unknowing sites, apparently the factory camera on starkdigital is streaming from a factory in Manchester. The factory has been told this but they still leave it up regardless.
    petes wrote:
    I for one think they are a shower of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ive reported them i versign for misuse of the seal they gonna get pwned :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

wrote:
    We have our representatives in stocks in Asian countries ...
    Our goods are not assessed to domestic state tax, as the product is sold to you directly from the producer's stock.
    We don't have to pay custom duties while delivering the product.

"You can't cheat an honest man; never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." -- W.C. Fields.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

weeder wrote:
    ive reported them i versign for misuse of the seal they gonna get pwned :p

gg

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I was watching that feed last night. It's being pulled by a site at shoplivecam.com, which seems to have nothing except their stolen feed, domain is registered to a name that only shows up in one other place on the web. It's very bizarre, they're pretty serious about their scamming. Apparently they were kicked off Yahoo's hosting before, so I've told their abuse dept. about shoplivecam.com, though I doubt it constitutes an offence in itself.

Advertisement