Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

website promotion tips

Options
  • 31-01-2007 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

guys,

just wondering if any of you want to impart some your wisdom for site promotion tips , not talking about your usual link exchanges and SEO etc but more little novelty things that can help boost traffic to your site

for example the toolbar in my siggy has boosted traffic to one of my sites significantly , anyone any ideas i'm feeling all exploratory :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi I'm trying to get my site www.ratemypub.ie up the ladder a small bit and I was wondering if anyone could give me ANY help on what to do? What about those link exchanges? What is SEO?
    Thanks
    Gary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

someone posted a great link here to an ebook about SEO last week , i'll try dig out the link for you

i wasn't specifically talking about seach engine rankings though in how to improve traffic , for example that toolbar in my siggie in a month alone has gotten that site over 30,000 extra hits and 1,000 unique impressions

so was thinking more along the lines of these kinda things to help traffic

Ya just printed out that book there and will have a read off it tonight, what is that siggie toolbar thing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

miju wrote:
    someone posted a great link here to an ebook about SEO last week , i'll try dig out the link for you

i wasn't specifically talking about seach engine rankings though in how to improve traffic , for example that toolbar in my siggie in a month alone has gotten that site over 30,000 extra hits and 1,000 unique impressions

so was thinking more along the lines of these kinda things to help traffic
    Getting noticed can do wonders. Something controversial, something funny, something interesting, something loud.

Install tools like StumbleUpon or Delicious toolbars and sybmit your content to communities. I get a tonne of traffic from StumbleUpon, and received 15k visits to a page that appeared on Digg (not great traffic but gets a few links :)).

Something useful could also help (hence the link in your footer getting traffic). You should really measure you traffic with page views and unique visitors rather than hits and unique impressions.

Believe it or not helping people online can get you traffic as well. If you have good knowledge in a particular area then try to help people out. I try to help over on the Google Webmaster Forum, Irish Webmaster Forum, Enterprise Ireland Mailing lists, here and a few other forums. Makes contacts and gets my name around a bit. You'd be surprised how people will come back when they actually have a need. (Of course this works better when you are selling a service.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 glengara

Popular term is "link bait", lots to be found on Google...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

thanks for that glengara it's an interesting concept , anyone here had much success with it ?

Read a couple of bits and pieces there about link bait, one thing is that for my website www.ratemypub.ie I think a lot of tourism websites would be interested. But I might need to change the name for such websites, i.e. have two names directed towards the one site. Not sure if tourists would like ratemypub.ie maybe findapub.ie might work better? (Please don't rob this!)

Would both sites become popular in google or only the linked dummy name site?

Advertisement