Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homework - new policy

• 17-05-2005 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

Replies may direct the student to the answer, but not post the answer outright. This should help people learn to code, and not how to plagiarise.

Posters are encouraged to ignore the implied gender of the poster and not reply by PM :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Will merge at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Example of why this policy is in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Turdle

An exercise in futility if ever I saw one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

no!!! my answers gone :) how ever will i {pass;

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

No offence guys but I think you are getting a bit big headed to say the least. If you don’t want lowly mortals like kittyKat interrupting your Olympian discourse why make your part of boards.ie so public

It is one thing to know something and quite another to teach it. My point being I am a plumber, a very skilled one yet I find it hard to imposable to teach apprentices that I work with.

If somebody asks me how to do a plumbing job say in there house if I feel like it I tell them if I feel like it I don’t try to “teach them” and above all I don’t patronize them.

The web has always been about the free interchange of information, if some poor sod is trying to work out something and you know the answer for Christ’s sake just tell them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Using your analogy:
    How would you appreciate it if an apprentice came along and asked you to ‘help’ with "some of their ‘project’", after they have made no effort to do any plumbing? They choose instead to sit back and let you do all the work, and as a result consider this an acceptable means of continuing their apprenticeship. Later on, you discover that they’re getting jobs based on ‘their project’...

It is a learning process. I think that if you bothered looking, you’ll find that help is offered to those that make some effort. The extent of that help varies on the issue and perceived knowledge and attitude of the poster. It’s an exercise is helping others to help themselves. 'Spoon feeding' is detrimental to the learning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

People shouldn't be spoonfed; it only delays their incompetence becoming a problem. They can be guided in the right direction; if they're not able for it after that... well, it's better they know now than when they're designing a nuclear reactor control system.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

some skills just aren't meant to be plagarised: programming for example in a career requires one to constantly have their own creativity and know-how

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

nick 56 wrote:
    No offence guys but I think you are getting a bit big headed to say the least.

There is a world of difference of someone asking questions to try and work out what they are doing wrong, to basically cut+pasting their question and expecting a total answer without understanding.

People spend years studying this stuff and (certainly with me) what pisses me off is someone who has no clue, no ability to learn the stuff expect to have the answer to be handed to them to get their little A with teacher or waltz into a job where they don't have the skills for.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Oh have a heart. Haven't you all had situations where you just couldn't work out what was wrong and spent hours banging your heads against it only for someone to point out one little thing and suddenly Bingo! it all makes sense ?

There has to be a middle ground between 'teaching' and 'spoon-feeding' surely? And in the end if they don't learn from being given the answer it's only themselves they're hurting. Contriwise the answer is up on the web now to help the next poor sod who needs it. Surely that is the best?

Only my two cents,
    -RD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There has to be a middle ground between 'teaching' and 'spoon-feeding' surely? And in the end if they don't learn from being given the answer it's only themselves they're hurting. Contriwise the answer is up on the web now to help the next poor sod who needs it. Surely that is the best?
    The middle ground is dropping hints to point them in roughly the right direction. They'll still have to work out the final problem, but will at least know the rough area the problem is in.

e.g. "Have you thought about what happens when you update variable x?"

With that, they know something bad happens, but they still have to go and work out exactly what themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

that is totally gay.

wat a paranoid decision based entirely on "wat ifs" and "just in case"
    it is a barrier for ppl legitimately looking for help and for others who want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Jazzy wrote:
    it is a barrier for ppl legitimately looking for help and for others who want to.
    No, its not.

Its a barrier for people not willing to put any effort in themselves who are looking for help. Granted, that will include some people other than students trying to get their homework done, but I feel little sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Jazzy wrote:
    that is totally gay.

wat a paranoid decision based entirely on "wat ifs" and "just in case"

It's perfectly sensible. If people can't figure out what they're doing from hints, then they shouldn't be doing it at all.

(Oh, dear, is 'gay' in again as a mild "I don't like this" expletive?)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

This policy is not to smack people down if they're trying to get us to help with homework, it's to smack down people who are trying to get us to DO their homework, which is a very different thing.

I think there's a phrase somewhere... "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life".

This is similar to the policy. We could give you fire, or we could set fire to you. Setting you on fire would be far more constructive, as you'd come out of it a more well-done individual, rather than just giving you fire without any effort on your part. Similarly, showing you how to think properly about how to get an answer (setting you on fire) is far more constructive than just giving it to you (giving you fire).

That's the point of the policy - I think you'll find that it is in a loving committed relationship, recognised by both the state and church, with a life assurance policy of the opposite sex, with 3 kids.

Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭emoKILLER

Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life".
    Aoife
    should it not be "teach him how to make a fire"!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

emoKILLER wrote:
    should it not be "teach him how to make a fire"!:D

Are low-flying aircraft a problem in your area?

Advertisement