Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dandy.... gone

Options
  • 04-08-2007 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I remember getting this weekly as a kid, along with my dose of The Beano. Every Sunday I would go to my local news agents and pick both of them up..

The Dandy that we all grew up with is finished :(

BBC News
    The world's longest running comic, The Dandy, has ceased to exist in its traditional format.
    The weekly title has been changed to a fortnightly magazine called Dandy Xtreme.

Dundee-based publisher DC Thomson confirmed the comic had been given a major facelift in its 70th anniversary year.

It said favourite characters such as Desperate Dan would still feature in the central pull-out, Dandy Comix.

DC Thomson said the format of the publication had been updated because of feedback from readers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I dunno Its pretty sad alright, The Beano was always better..rodger the dodger ftw

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's a shame in one way, but at least they're still going. Fortnightly is better than nothing. Not so sure about this "Comix" and "Xtreme" business though. Sounds as if they're trying to take a leaf out of the Marketing Superhero Comics manual, and we all know that didn't end in an insular, self-consuming niche industry - oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

:(
    Farewell, I used to get the Dandy and Beano every week during my childhood sad to see it go. Hopefully this wont be the beginning of the end for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I'm not going to get to worried at this point as they have repackaged the Dandy a number of times over its 70 year run....like was already said hopefully this wont be the beginning of the end for it.......going forthnightly means the beano will overtake it as longest running Bristish comic at some point this year.

thinking about the dandy has now put the Bananaman theme in my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

DC Thomson said the format of the publication had been updated because of feedback from readers.

Feedback from readers? Feedback from readers? What a load of twaddle.
    How many people who read the Dandy even know what feedback means?

I always thought kid's comics were a stepping stone to real reading for younger children. Renaming it with trendy incorrect spelling is hardly the way to go. At least when I read it as a child it contributed in some small way to my literacy, now it's only going to fuel the "txt spk" illiteracy that's becoming all too common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Hagar wrote:
    Feedback from readers? Feedback from readers? What a load of twaddle.
    How many people who read the Dandy even know what feedback means?

I always thought kid's comics were a stepping stone to real reading for younger children. Renaming it with trendy incorrect spelling is hardly the way to go. At least when I read it as a child it contributed in some small way to my literacy, now it's only going to fuel the "txt spk" illiteracy that's becoming all to common.

Yeah I would love to see some of that feedback they said they received.

Down with "txt spk" :mad:
    Right its just about alright to use text speak when you are actually sending a text message and trying to compress what you are saying into a single message (have a friend who gets a text message of his nephew just in "txt spk" and he cant make heads nor tails of it :p ), but using it e.g. on boards WHY!!?! What is the need? Are there that many illiterate people out there or are they just that damn lazy! :mad: /rant

Advertisement