Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

some advise needed... very cheap offer!

Options
  • 22-10-2007 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

hey, just curious about something....
    There's a car I found on autotrader.co.uk.
    It's a very nice car, but it's massively undervalued. i.e. it's for sale for about 9k less than the next closest with the same spec/mileage.
    I was a bit concerned that it might be crashed or clocked so I emailed the guy.
    The following is the email I sent and the email I got back from him.
    Me wrote:
    Has it ever been in a crash of any sort?
    Do you have a full service history
    Are there other extras that you are not mentioning, ones that I thought would be on the special edition model.... e.g. traction control.
    Could you send me a few more pics?
    Response wrote:
    Hi, the car is still available for the price of £10k GBP. The car is in excellent overall condition. I have just moved back to my home country Czech Republic because I got a very good job offer here. The Audi is here with me as well, but I can arrange shipping. It is still UK registered.
    Please email me back soon and let me know if you are interested.
    All the best

What do you reckon about this? He obviously didn't answer my questions, and I'm a bit worried it may be stolen or something. Is there any way to find this out? Can I request reg/chassis number and find out that way?
    It seems way to dodgy to be honest, not sure I will do anything about it, just thought I'd see if anyone else would. It's a car I really want, but can't really afford for the normal asking price ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

If it sounds too good to be true then it generally is....screams of a scam to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

isnt Czech Republic left hand drive cars???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

isnt Czech Republic left hand drive cars???

Doesnt matter if they drive upside down cars there because it doesnt exist(the car I mean. I'm reliably informed that the czech republic does, in fact, exist). It's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm reliably informed that the czech republic does, in fact, exist.

Yup its there on my map :) yup a def a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

ya, it's most likely just some guy hoping someone will send him money without seeing it etc etc.... never hear from him again.
    Obv I wouldn't have gone near it if that was the case. Ill request the reg and chassis off him and see what he says.

cheers,
    j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I've seen that email response before - about 18 months ago:eek:
    When i seen it (a work college just window shopping for an A3 TDI), the guy had just moved back home to the czech republic as he was taking up a student position at college. It was right hand drive, but instead of selling it before he moved, it took it back and was willing to wave the shipping costs back to Ireland! Mentioned something about the VRT costs associated with keeping it in the czech republic but this part didn't make any sense. It was through ebay.co.uk thou.
    If its too good to be true then it probably is...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I saw something similar - a BMW 530D on autotrader. I contacted the seller to see what the craic was and lo and behold the car(uk reg) was in portugal. Before too long I was being assured that the shipping agents would handle escrow so that the funds would be guaranteed for delivery.

So play along with it and let us know who the escrow agents are this time. Let's see then how recently their website was set up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

"Please send me your money and I will post the car straight to your door, along with a free helicopter and Ferrari and I'll even take a grand off the price without you trying to bargain me cause I want your free money!"

Basically if you're buying a car in Ireland or the UK, ring the person on an Irish or UK number and speak to them. E-mail is a waste of time. If you're selling a car, only take people seriously if they phone you and then arrange to meet you, and even after arranging to meet you, only take them seriously when they show up.
    Everyone is posting up asking if this and that is a scam. Everything is a scam unless they come to your door on your terms with cash in the paw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Okay, I continued with the Facade, this is it so far:
    Hi James, because of my location I suggest that we close this deal using the security provided by eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program on such transactions.
    If we come to an agreement the Audi will be delivered directly to your home address and the cost for that and for the insurance will be included in the initial sale price. The car will be shipped by truck and that will take about 2 weeks.
    The payment will be done to an eBay agent via bank transfer and after you receive and inspect the A4, the money will be released to me. The transaction will be fully under eBay's surveillance, giving us both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They are acting like a third party in this transaction. When the car arrives you have 7 days to see and test it which way you like. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not.
    If you decide to take it you will have to contact ebay and let them know that so that they can release the payment to me. If you won't like it you will have to ship it back to me within the 7 days and ebay will refund you. The shipping back will be done on my own expense.
    Please get back to me asap and let me know if you agree with this.
    All the best
    So, is the car for sale on ebay then? could you give me the link to this sale
    Also, I can't seem to find it on autotrader anymore, is it still there?
    Hi James, the car was for sale on ebay, but it didn't sell. I have already paid the fees for using eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program and I would like to use this service.
    Here is how eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program works:
    1. Buyer, seller reach an agreement.
    2. Buyer deposits money in escrow.
    3. eBay escrow confirms to seller that the escrow amount has been received in the escrow account.
    4. Seller performs the required services (shipping, insurance).
    5. Buyer accepts delivery and informs eBay escrow about the acceptance.
    6. eBay releases the money in escrow.
    If you are ready to proceed with the transaction please let me know because I will have to contact ebay so that they can send you the payment invoice. For that I will need your full name, your ebay user ID and your email address registered with ebay. If you don't have an ebay userid you can register here: https://scgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RegisterEnterInfo
    I will be waiting to hear back from you soon.
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Obvious scam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Or possibly scamola.

Definitely dodgy. The car seems to change every time but the country also changes regularly. He's using a hacked/hijacked ebay account so even if you do a bit of research he'll come up clean. He wants your name, ebay ID and registered email so yours can be the next account he uses.

All will appear to be going as per Ebay guidelines, in my (very fortunate) mate's case even up as far as you transferring the money (at which point I alerted my mate). You will then be contacted and told there is an issue with the account and could you please transfer it to a different account. That will be the last you see of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Read about this scam in the paper last weekend. Seller has hijacked a hi-reputation seller's id. Can't remember all the details, but it was slick. Giveaway is the mad cheap price, and the 'eBay payment protection scheme', which does not exist.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I SAW A BEAUTIFUL OLD VW BUS ON EBAY AND THOUGHT THE PRICE WAS MISSING A 1 AT THE BEGINNING. IT WAS NEWLY LISTED.

RUN OF THE MILL BEETLES WOULD SELL FOR THE £2999 ASKING PRICE AND IT WOULD BE EASY TO SEE BUSES FOR SALE IN EXCESS OF £10,000+ SO I SENT AN EMAIL TO SAY- CAREFUL, YOU HAVE THE WRONG PRICE UP;)-

THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT I RECEIVED.

eBay sent this message to xxxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxx).Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more. Seller has responded to your question about this item Do not respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy, may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programs. Learn More.

Dear xxxxxxxx,

Hi! The car looks just like in the pictures.It is in imaculate condition and has never been involved in any accident.I ahe to sell the car because I am moving to Spain and I am getting a company car. I want to sell the car fast so I am willing to pay the shipping fees.The total price I hope to sell this car is £2,999.00. I want to end this deal through Yahoo! Finance - they hold the funds until you receive the car. If you want to continue , please email your full name and address for shipping purposes so we can get on with it . Please reply to andrew_brown1116@dzite.com
    - penguins-r-me

Reported to ebay,

I might mess with him for the larf. Any suggestions?:D

Listing;http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-split-screen-13-window-deluxe-show-car_W0QQitemZ200168621578QQihZ010QQcategoryZ18303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Advertisement