Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Boards.ie Have Any Power?

Options
  • 19-11-2007 8:14pm

A thought came to me today while listening to the radio. Does boards.ie have any power with regards to nowadays things like chart music, political issues etc.

Just with the sheer number of registered users, would it be a force to be reckoned with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Surely you must have noticed how it's impossible to get people to agree on things around here? Trying to get anough organised to influence a vote/music charts/whatever would be pretty much impossible IMO. Of course it might be fun to try.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Certainly would have thought so.

One thing springs to mind but I/we can't discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Forums are the WORST place to get people agreeing on things. Too many different views.

Unless it was on boycotting Hitler being resurrected or something else universally wrong you wont see agreement here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Certainly would have thought so.

One thing springs to mind but I/we can't discuss.

Asking for trouble. Agreed. but sssshhhh...

zaph wrote: »
    Surely you must have noticed how it's impossible to get people to agree on things around here? Trying to get anough organised to influence a vote/music charts/whatever would be pretty much impossible IMO. Of course it might be fun to try.

I thought it would be an interesting experiment to, say, record a song, convince a few shops to stock it around the country and gets boards.ie users/friends of users to buy it, to see if we could get it to number 1. It can't be that hard, I mean the tellytubbies and crazy frog did it.

It could be a charity event, with the majority of the profit going to some charity organisation.

There's loads of possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, the success of the Santa Strike Force would indicate Boards.ie has the power to do some good. Likewise it's prominency in the Irish media whenever broadband issues are discussed etc. would indicate there's some power base here.

Until we can convince Dev to run for the benevolant dictator of the wurdled thought we're not going to see any real change coming from the site.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Look at the likes of the santa strike force. I'm not sure how much money it raises for charity but I'm sure it is a fairly considerable sum.

Edit: Sleepy bet me to it. Guess he's not as sleepy as his username suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I thought it would be an interesting experiment to, say, record a song, convince a few shops to stock it around the country and gets boards.ie users/friends of users to buy it, to see if we could get it to number 1. It can't be that hard, I mean the tellytubbies and crazy frog did it.

It could be a charity event, with the majority of the profit going to some charity organisation.

There's loads of possibilities.
    That'd be pretty easy, can't imagine it takes too many sales to get a single to number one in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

A thought came to me today while listening to the radio. Does boards.ie have any power with regards to nowadays things like chart music, political issues etc.

It has the power to show us today what PodgeNRodge & ThePanel will be talking about 3 weeks from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

So, when are we resurrecting Hitler?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Forums are the WORST place to get people agreeing on things. Too many different views.

aye, take this for example.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184186

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

welcome to Boards.ie; Ireland's leading Democratic Party - agreeing on nothing, and commiting hatecrimes on everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

how many fairly active users of boards is there?
    it would be great to try out... imagine the power MUWAHAHAHa. ahem.

zaph wrote: »

Out of 80,000+ registered users, I'd imagine 10,000 are active? (maybe dev or someone can give a more accurate figure)

more than enough to get a number one over here anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Out of 80,000+ registered users, I'd imagine 10,000 are active? (maybe dev or someone can give a more accurate figure)

more than enough to get a number one over here anyway :)

97178 to be exact

Whats wrong with hitler?

ziggy wrote: »

Flash mobs.

They don't go down too well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unless it was on boycotting Hitler being resurrected
    He may know a decent way to get rid of the corrupt f**kers in the Dail?
    ziggy wrote: »
    Flash crowds? They suck.

Does anyone know how many singles you have to sell to reach number 1 in ireland?

and to stop this from being moved to somewhere else, what other issues could be dealt with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Does anyone know how many singles you have to sell to reach number 1 in ireland?

Well, according to IRMA:
    This release amassed an incredible 40,000 sales in its first week
    . (Gnarls Barkley, 'Crazy')

So if that's 'incredible', not a lot.

I know that it doesn't take much to get into the top 10. Again, according to the IRMA website, sales figures are confidential, only certain people are allowed know. (Why??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

So, when are we resurrecting Hitler?

not soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

Omg lord of cheese your 1000th post. what a waste
    anyway didnt boards used to have 1 million members, i mean have i missed something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Oman wrote: »
    anyway didnt boards used to have 1 million members
    No. There are currently 125,330 registered members.

It holds no sway in political circles. It's good as a barometer of what the Irish internet clique feels, but that's all. We're far too heterogeneous a group to be considered important, particularly in our highly-segmented electoral system. The Internet - A Not So Serious Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

anyway boards should have its own TD he'd get at least 100,000 votes enough to get into parliament

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ibid wrote: »
    It holds no sway in political circles. It's good as a barometer of what the Irish internet clique feels, but that's all. We're far too heterogeneous a group to be considered important, particularly in our highly-segmented electoral system. The Internet - A Not So Serious Business.
    True enough, Ibid, but as more and more people become internet savvy (or should that be addicts? :D ) I suspect politicians will pay more and more attention to sites like Boards, even if mainly as market research or as a barometer, as you put it.

Jeez, considering we are now seeing politicians with bebo and facebook profiles ... :rolleyes:

anyway boards should have its own TD he'd get at least 100,000 votes enough to get into parliament
    I'm not sure this country would survive another DeV ... >_>

:D

Ibid wrote: »
    No. There are currently 125,330 registered members.

But not in the political circles solely. Would it be possible to get a single to number 1 with boardsie's alone.

It's an interesting topic though, seeing if boards has any power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Omg lord of cheese your 1000th post. what a waste
    anyway didnt boards used to have 1 million members, i mean have i missed something

No post calling for the ressurection of hitler is a wasted post!

But in hindsight, i should have done something better, ohh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooh, suddenly you've gone too far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, we're not putting it in a bloody monkey, 'k?!! :mad:

Advertisement