Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what u doing with that poweredge

Options
  • 07-12-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Decided to set up new thread as couple peps here have bought this .
    So what you going to use it for.
    what os u think ull put on it.
    what graphics cards other cards you going to put in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I plan on using it for Windows Home Server to server media to my HTPC, my PC, Xbox 360, and Roku Soundbridge, as well as doing some backup.

Also looking forward to getting it setup to handle remote access to my PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

My plan on to put linux onto it and play ..

As to the flavour of linux I'll be putting on I'm unsure ... so any suggestions are welcome. I had planned on Ubuntu ... but I get I'll put whatever I can get to work on it :D

I'll probably steer clear of Windows as I've not got any spare licenses at the moment and couldn't be bothered forking out a few hundred on a new one.

My main use with it will be play ... play of the linux variety ... want to set up a subversion repository maybe a dns server and a few other bits and pieces. At the price I just couldn't say no :)

Graphics aren't that important to me but if it turned out I could bung in a semi decent graphics card for 50 quid I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

think il put ubuntu on it myself and run xp on ubuntu virtually.hopefully that can be done.ill but alot of my files for work and connct it to my wireless network so i can be accessing them files from my lappy and free some space on it.will also set it up with ps3.alot of this havent done before so should be a bit of fun anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    should be a bit of fun anyway

Sum up all my thoughts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

hopefully it arrives before christmas and I can put it under the christmas tree :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Ill be putting Ubuntu on it too..hopefully along with XP. I'd like to get a decent GFX card into it in the hope it could output some HD media.

Tbh, i haven't exactly decided what im going to do.. but it should be fun.

Anyone planning on replacing the motherboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

where are u guys going to buy the extra bits for yours ? komplett ?

I'm thinking more ram, video card and sound card .. maybe a media bank also ( for sd cards etc ) ..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ideally...

- Vista Ultimate (I bought an extra 2GB RAM for it already from the link on the other thread)
    - Cheap 4.1 soundcard (€8 from Komplett)
    - Geforce 8600GT or X1950 Pro
    - New PSU

Usage: Data storage (2x 500GB SATA HDDs I think) and gaming (if the vid card works out)

Failing this:

Windows Server 2003 R2
    Data Storage

(I get usage rights on all the Windows versions through work)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

there is a thread in he on he servers.here is the link.http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193648

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

has anyone ordered a video card yet ?

• Advertisement

Think everyones waiting to hear some feedback on what cards are compatible.. the cards becoming very important in terms of what i'll decide to do with it inthe end

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    what u doing with that poweredge

Mod the case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Forgive the noob questions;

If I buy this without server software how easy is it to set up to do the following;

Act as a home network for sharing files across 2 PCs and 1 laptop.
    Files will be mixture of docs, excel, music video etc.

Also is it worth paying an extra 100eu to upgrade to two 250GB hard drive or could these be got elsewhere for less?

GG66 wrote: »
    Forgive the noob questions;

If I buy this without server software how easy is it to set up to do the following;

Act as a home network for sharing files across 2 PCs and 1 laptop.
    Files will be mixture of docs, excel, music video etc.

Also is it worth paying an extra 100eu to upgrade to two 250GB hard drive or could these be got elsewhere for less?

a) You can buy cheap second hand Windows 2000, install it on this server and share your folders. If you are more adventurous and open to new things (and the related studying that is envolved) you can also try a free distribution of linux.

b) This disk would do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Thanks for the response, open to learning but don't think I'd have time with everything else I'm learning right now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,089 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Drive Bays
    2 x 3.5" Non-Hot Swap for Hard-Drives
    1 x 3.5" Floppy
    2 x 5.25" for optional CDRW, DVD/CD-RW and Tape Backup

I/O
    5 total I/O slots
    3 PCI Express slots (one with x8 connector, one with x4 connector, one with x1 connector), all 2.5GHz.
    2 32-bit/33MHz PCI slots 5V.
    Slots can support full length or half length cards.

Memory
    Four ECC DDR-2 533/667 SDRAM DIMM sockets for up to 4 GB of memory

Chassis
    Form Factor: Tower (Not Rackable)
    Height: 17.6" H (44.8cm)
    Width: 6.8" W (17.1cm)
    Depth: 18.4" D (46.7cm)
    Weight: ~ 39.0 lbs. (17.7kg)

Ports
    Rear: 5 x USB 2.0, 1 x serial connector, 1 x VGA video connector, 1 x RJ-45 NIC connector(Gigabit Ethernet)
    Front: 2 x USB 2.0

Power
    Single power supply (305W)

Not your ornery onager

how hard will it be to upgrade that PSU? 305W probably wont be enough if people are going to be throwing in graphics cards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i wanted media server but can not find some proper software. any one know any good software.???

I have it up and running now with Windows Home Server and am happy enough so far though I haven't got all the Add-ins etc. that I'm interested in installed yet. Hardest part is actually getting the port forwarding setup and tested to allow remote access etc, setup of WHS was straightforward.

Am impressed with the low noise level off it - wouldn't call it silent, but it's not bad at all and you wouldn't notice it with a TV running.

Last thing I want to do is add in a 3rd hard-drive. It has the SATA port to allow this but doesn't have the 3.5" inch bay to take it - any tips for how I should go about this?

• Advertisement

sellotape :), put it in a dvd bay with an adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,089 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have it up and running now with Windows Home Server and am happy enough so far though I haven't got all the Add-ins etc. that I'm interested in installed yet. Hardest part is actually getting the port forwarding setup and tested to allow remote access etc, setup of WHS was straightforward.

Am impressed with the low noise level off it - wouldn't call it silent, but it's not bad at all and you wouldn't notice it with a TV running.

Last thing I want to do is add in a 3rd hard-drive. It has the SATA port to allow this but doesn't have the 3.5" inch bay to take it - any tips for how I should go about this?
    Sacrifice one of the 80GB drives for a much larger one? Or buy a 5.25:3.5 mounting kit (if such a thing exists!).

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Sacrifice one of the 80GB drives for a much larger one? Or buy a 5.25:3.5 mounting kit (if such a thing exists!).

I've taken out an 80GB and replaced it with a 500GB, but have another 200GB drive I wanna throw in aswell. So a 5.25" mounting kit like you mention might do the trick, I'll have a look.

You need something like this

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If you have no PCI cards in it, there is just enough room for a 3 drive caddy there!

image009.jpg

I have 5 drives in mine atm :P

thanx m8 looking good.

hy guys, i hop this sound card can be fitted in dell server
    http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=3W44&CategorySelectedId=11140&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11140&InMerch=1
    and how about vga card? as most of pcix card need high power ps and i dont want to replace mine. which card would be best not big gamer

Advertisement