Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HD benchmarking

• 26-11-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

/edit By SouperComputer

Subway made a great suggestion, so I'm going to elaborate on it and sticky it.

Since HD is a hot topic right now (and it looks awesome) drive prices are falling rapidly, im posting this sticky.

Please include in your post

* CPU Make, series and clock Speed
    * RAM Amount/Type
    * Graphics Card: GPU Vendor (ATI, Nvidia, Intel) series, & RAM Amount
    * Source of content (Codec, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray etc)

For the source of content if you can include a range of codecs (AVC, MPEG2, MPEG4, MPEG2), bitrates and how they peformed. That would be great.

To begin, Lets start with a WMV file from MS's showcase. These have just about the lowest hardware requirements, bar some 720p MPEG4 streams which I dont think are commonplace in Ireland yet. These are kept on the MS site as self-extracting .exe's so dont be alarmed by that......

720p (WMV) Coral Reef Adventure (IMAX)
    1080p (WMV) Coral Reef Adventure (IMAX)

Ideally I will have links to a few different codecs and bitrates here, so if you encounter something that we can add, let me know.

So low spec, mid spec or pure, plain overkill, post your specs and let us know how it ran for you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

XPS M1210 laptop XP Pro - (core duo t2300, 1 gig ram, intel 950)
    Laptop LCD - (built in, 1280 x 768)

1080p full screen no glitching or jumping
    on a 1 minute mkv at 1080p in x264 with dts auido this system performed perfectly (55% CPU)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Optiplex GX260 XP MCE - (P4 2.4, 512 ram, gf6200)
    28" CRT - (s-video, set to 800 x 600)

1080p wmv content plays fullscreen and fine with no jumping or glitching.
    audio does not work as my amp does not support what ever audio format these filse use. the file played correctly, but the system was slightly unresponsive when trying to stop playback.
    i downloaded a 1 minute sample of 1080p mkv encoded in x264 using dts audio and it was unwatchable.
    sound was perfect, but video was in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

MEDION 8818 desktop

* CPU Make, series and clock Speed
    Core2-Duo-lockedIntel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6300
    (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB)
    * RAM Amount/Type
    1,024 MB DDR2 SDRAM
    * Graphics Card: GPU Vendor (ATI, Nvidia, Intel) series, & RAM Amount
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7650 GS graphics card with 256 MB DDR2
    * Source of content (Codec, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray etc)
    1080p (WMV) Coral Reef Adventure (IMAX)
    * OS XP MCE and Vista Home premium

Display 15" CRT connected scart to scart from direct to desktop.(s-video, set to 800 x 600)

For both MCE and Vista
    Plays file fullscreen - audio and sound perfect.
    CPU MCE - 27%
    CPU Vista - 25% - 45% - note - squeezed onto a small partition to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Unstickifying this. With the "Post your Setup" thread here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055272822

I think this one has become redundant. Id like to keep stickies to the minimum.

Advertisement