Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYPD and the Irish flag.

Options
  • 19-01-2009 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I stumbled across this and was pretty surprised, it appears that the Irish flag is regularly used at New York police funerals :confused: I know that the NYPD always had a large amount of Irish serving with them historically, but does anyone know why this practice still exists today, it seems a little bizarre.

nypdfuneral.jpg

600-funeral-02.jpg

2095111678_a69f840f3b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Wacko wrote: »
    I stumbled across this and was pretty surprised, it appears that the Irish flag is regularly used at New York police funerals :confused: I know that the NYPD always had a large amount of Irish serving with them historically, but does anyone know why this practice still exists today, it seems a little bizarre.

Well historically if the Irish Cops were to have Kids and they followed in daddys footsteps and so on and so on down the generations would they also not be Irish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

The NYPD is known (right or wrong) as being an irish police force and they have a society called 'emerald sons' or something like that for irish officers.

Of course what we consider 'Irish' and who they consider Irish is probable two different things. Personally though I like it, if for nothing else simple because some Yanks are actually aware of another counrty besides the US and eye-raq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

It's due to the emerald society pipes and drums band that play at all police funerals and parades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

i read a blog one time about 'what europeans think of each other' and it came to ireland, a very small country with exaggerated importance in the eyes of America''

So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

i read a blog one time about 'what europeans think of each other' and it came to ireland, a very small country with exaggerated importance in the eyes of America''

So true.
    Aye begorra, tis true, sure it is.
    Turtytreeandaturd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

The Met and a number of other UK forces that have large representation from the Irish community also have Emerald Societies.

rotate%20(30).jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭foxtrot-oscar

It appears baltimore police do too

wireprequel4.jpg

2 bottles of jemmy and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭trentf

So true.

Yup thats europeans for you big on passing judgements on everyone else, nowhere to be seen when the sh(t hits the fan, glad we rejected them on lisbon and look forward to doing the same again. Its always funny how the upper tier of irish society i.e the politicians seem to want to integrate us into europe, what with all their banking pals etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rustymotion

Here in New York City (specifically Manhattan) The flags are flown based on both the cop/police officers heritage and of the precincts itself. In china town a few months back the parade off of Mott street had both the Chinese and Italian flag flying, because of the proximity of china town and little Italy (less than a block if you count canal st. as a divider)

anyway, Its an interesting salute to the heritage of the city and the man when the flags are flown.

Hope that answers the question.

Advertisement