Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yellow high-vis vests for all pedestrians everywhere?

• 31-01-2009 5:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The stats could be seen as to suggest pedestrians in urban areas could benefit far, far, far more from high vis than cyclists... so, why isn't there a push in that direction?

All quotes from the RSA's Road Collisions Facts 2007 (PDF).

First, the majority of pedestrians were killed in the hours of darkness:
    Seven out of 10 pedestrians were killed in the hours of darkness.

And majority were killed inside built up areas:
    Fifty-eight per cent of pedestrians were killed inside a built up area.

In actual numbers, pedestrians are massively more at risk than cyclists, and motorcyclists are also notably more at risk than cyclists:
    2 in 5 of those who died on our roads in 2007 were vulnerable road users
    1 in 5 were pedestrians
    3 in 30 were motorcyclists
    1 in 30 were pedalcyclists

Also note that 3 in 5 of those who died were not "vulnerable road users" (sic).

So, why are pedestrians not being hounded to wear high vis while walking around town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What happens when the Hi Viz Mafia have everybody clad to their spec...?

Then the only people who will stand out are those NOT clad in yeller....!! ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

AlekSmart wrote: »
    What happens when the Hi Viz Mafia have everybody clad to their spec...?

High vis cars. High vis streets. Bubble wrapped people, or even people in bubbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

monument wrote: »
    ...Bubble wrapped people, or even people in bubbles.

We really are an odd species.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

monument wrote: »
    And majority were killed inside built up areas:

So, why are pedestrians not being hounded to wear high vis while walking around town?

I'd expect most pedestrians to walk near towns etc. Yet only 58% of the accidents happen "inside built up areas" - wouldn't that rather indicate walking around the town is not very dangerous for pedestrians?

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'd expect most pedestrians to walk near towns etc. Yet only 58% of the accidents happen "inside built up areas" - wouldn't that rather indicate walking around the town is not very dangerous for pedestrians?

From the RSA:
    Urban Area
    An urban area is defined as an area where the speed limit zone was less than or equal to 60 k.m/h in 2007.

Built-up Area
    A built-up area means an area which was within a 50 to 60 km/h. speed limit zone in 2007.

First, my first post should be seen as very much so tongue-in-cheek.

But on a more serious point we're taking about nearly 60 percent of pedestrians deaths in 50 km/h and 60 km/h zones. To all of all still half thinking in mph, that's 30mph and just under 40mph zones. And given that "Seven out of 10 pedestrians were killed in the hours of darkness"... there seams to be more stats to back up a push for getting people who walk in built up areas to wear high vis than there is backing up the current campaigns trying to get cyclists, who should have lights, to do the same.

But why is it so unthinkable to ask people walking around towns to wear high vis? Maybe because people would -- rightly -- say it's a distraction from the real issues, such as all road users' behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

So you go out on the piss for the night, think your going to bring a hi vis with ya?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

"So Loike there I was going across the road from BT's to BT2's to get my new dubes roight, and this focking culchie cop arrests me cos I don't have a skangery yelow jacket on."

It's like bike helmets. Far more motorists would escape injuries if they wore helmets while travelling in a car. Bike helmets are only designed to protect in low speed colisions, at speeds over 50 kmh only a motorbike helmet would provide protection. what type of helmet do moped riders wear and why?

What percentage of pedestrians travel in zones with higher speed limits?
    I wonder how many motorists were killed or seriously injured by pedestrians....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

Ive given a few high viz away to drunk people walking on counry road before and once to a cyclist.

Drunk ppl tend to wander out on to the road!

I read an article that a lot of drunk people end up asleep on the road when hit.

Its a great idea I think.

timmywex wrote: »
    So you go out on the piss for the night, think your going to bring a hi vis with ya?!

The suggestion isn't a real one :)

I'm pointing out how silly it is to ask cyclists to wear them when there is stats which can be easily twisted to say people walking at night -- even in urban areas -- could need high-vis more.

I don't believe safety would improve much if everybody was wearing high-vis. What's needed is things like full enforcement of current traffic laws, all road users acting a bit better and streets geared to all road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is probably enough high viz vests left over from the building boom to equip everyone in the country. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

or introduce a curfew for motorists

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What percentage of pedestrians travel in zones with higher speed limits?
    Nail and head!

Of course a lot more pedestrians will be killed in built up areas simply because there are a lot more pedestrians in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Well, I have seen more use of high vis armbands/vests by pedestrians both in city and country, but mostly confined to joggers or people who go for a regular stroll (walking the dog, etc.)

It's a good idea - I don't think you could make it mandatory, but certainly it would help to raise awareness - I'm sure a lot of people haven't given it any thought.

Nail and head!

Of course a lot more pedestrians will be killed in built up areas simply because there are a lot more pedestrians in those areas.

Refer to this post above.

I think I may need troll account for this sort of stuff :)
    Zoney wrote: »
    Well, I have seen more use of high vis armbands/vests by pedestrians both in city and country, but mostly confined to joggers or people who go for a regular stroll (walking the dog, etc.)

It's a good idea

I don't think it is, unless they are going to be in an area which is dark or which is likely to get dark and does not have good lighting -- like the Phoenix Park etc.

Advertisement