Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone identify this coin for me

Options
  • 12-07-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

One side is in decent condition, the other side is crap. Its a skinny coin compared to coins around now. I can make out "17" on one side.

DSCF0222.JPG

DSCF0223.JPG

DSCF0224.JPG

DSCF0225.JPG

DSCF0226.JPG

DSCF0227.JPG

DSCF0228.JPG

DSCF0230.JPG

DSCF0231.JPG

DSCF0232.JPG

DSCF0233.JPG

DSCF0220.JPG

DSCF0221.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

well that 17 looks like its part of a year for the date on the coin

but where its from ? i'd say UK

dunno what amount it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

OK i think i found it

http://www.ringramcoins.com/5G1700.htm

or actually maybe out

or maybe, haha i can't make my mind up

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

OK i think i found it

http://www.ringramcoins.com/5G1700.htm

or actually maybe out

I don't think that's it

Drakmord wrote: »
    I don't think that's it

Ye its not :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like it's certainly British.
    The pattern we can see is quite like this one, though I doubt it's a half guinea.

spurious wrote: »
    Looks like it's certainly British.
    The pattern we can see is quite like this one, though I doubt it's a half guinea.

?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

?
    The 'coat of arms' pattern - is the image not showing?
    Previously the four coats of arms were separate but from what I can see, in the reign of George III they were amalgamated into one.
    See the examples of the quarter and five guineas coins.
    No idea what denomination it is though, sorry.

Is there any way you could clean it up a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I know nothing about coins, but would tracing it like u did when you were a kid be an option to see if its any clearer,

put a white sheet of paper over it and gently use a pencil or crayon to make an impresison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It could be a George III Quarter Guinea

qg62.jpg

spurious wrote: »
    Is there any way you could clean it up a bit?

Soak it in olive oil seems to be the least harsh way of doing it?

Its pretty much the exact same diameter as a euro 50c at about 24mm diameter.
    The coin is very skinny, i'd say less than 1mm thickness

I can see the coin more clearly now, and i think its this one

http://www.ringramcoins.com/HG1778.htm

Can anyone see any reason why it would not be this one?

Its pretty much the exact same diameter as a euro 50c at about 24mm diameter.
    The coin is very skinny, i'd say less than 1mm thickness

From Wikipedia:
    George III
    George III, 1775 Guinea
    George III, Spade Guinea, 1795

The guineas of George III weighed 8.4 g and were 24 mm in diameter, with an average gold content (at the time of the 1773 assay) of 0.9146. They were issued with six different obverses and three reverses in 1761, 1763–79, 1781–99, and 1813. All the obverses show right-facing busts of the king with the legend GEORGIVS III DEI GRATIA with different portraits of the king. The reverse of guineas issued between 1761 and 1786 show a crowned shield bearing the arms of England+Scotland, France, Ireland and Hanover, with the legend M B F ET H REX F D B ET L D S R I A T ET E date ("King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, Duke of Brunswick and Lueneburg, Arch-Treasurer and Elector of the Holy Roman Empire"). In 1787 a new design of reverse featuring a spade-shaped shield was introduced, with the same legend; this has become known as the Spade Guinea.

It's in terrible condition, so probably not worth a lot, but if it is a George III guinea, it's a nice find. Did you dig it up?

Advertisement