Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ares Tavor/ T.A.R 21 Discussion

Options
  • 25-10-2009 2:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

The review is Here.

Here's where to ask any questions you feel like, people.

I'll keep it updated with more info when i strip it again. plenty of pics to come. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i thought i had put forward a semi balanced view with my tavor, but then again my ramblings do not really count as a review :)

Agree with you 100% in your conclusion your estimated true value I see as being about right which would put in line with the price of the bulk of the star ares normal assault rifles 250ish usd , the culprit for this inflated price is the small holographic sticker I found on my box , cybergun.

Been looking at the most up to date TSI picks and have to say I. still prefer the proportions and finish of the ares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Cheers Puding,

I read your points on it before writing my review too, some good info in there. i think you were one of the first to get inside it and point out some of the common problems you had, I'm not sure if i mentioned it in the review but the motor adjustment plate was missing from this too, like your own. (good thing i've an MP5K here that never sees use. :))

I don't know how true it is but TSi claim to be supplying them to the IDF as training guns and that the IDF have given them a list of modifications to do to make it more realistic. I'm looking forward to seeing theirs in the flesh since their ability's to take a decent photo without filling it with over flash are non existent and it always looks washed out. If their GBB kit turns out to be true then i'll be all over it. I'll keep it solely as a GBBr and have the Ares as my Lecky powered alternative. :)

Their biggest let down is their complete lack of communication on it though. I had planned on getting theirs all along but i just got fed up with the waiting around and the constant moving of the arrival date every time it got near. aparently they are now waiting on magazine bumpers to arrive or to fit them, something like that. they could quite easily send these out to their customers afterwards and just keep everyone happy. :)

there has been a lot of delays on the tsi, and a lot of remarks about units being shipped to the idf but that is only directly from the company themselves, and going by there previous communications and delays i would rather see some independent information first :(

the galils where very nice but there has been a distinct lack of information about the tsi, will be nice when someone finally gets one in there hands, but again you might have the problem of non impartial review , will have to see

edit: i had the same loss mag release catch, slightest tap and mag would fall out, i used about 3 coils of an aeg spring to beef up the catch, works like a charm know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

great review dude. I know this is going to be a 'get the popcorn' discussion as it seems to get very tense in the past, so i am glad i got in before the lock!

i dont have any angle here other then a potential buyer. So i took what you said on the cost of the aeg as very important to me, particularly with santa on the way. I think from what you said, it does seem overpriced (for me), but like all things i guess that is all about what you like or dont and the freedom to spend your money where you like. I think its a cool design, and to be fair i guess that alone is going to add a surplus, but 500 sounds steep to me. I cant believe they ballsed up the mars sight...that is the coolest thing out there IMHO but that basketball sized red blob is a shame, almost comical..except the cost and that really wipes the smile off the face. I think the issue on the gearbox and the rods is a catch 22 for them. if they designed a unique gearbox they would get nailed as well. I guess at least having a standard ones means the majority of people can at least tune and modify it. As for the magwell being loose, it seems a tad...well...tacky but lets be honest there is a lot of companies a little slack here.

Overall i just cannot see myself spending 500 on it at the moment. i think i will class this in the microsoft school...i.e. wait for the next version.

thanks for the review Masada...much appreciated, i think i will look elsewhere for my santa list...shame because i truly love its look.

You never know falls, there might be a TSi one out by then so you'll at least have the benefit of choice., :D

As for the gearbox though, they have used a unique one in this, it looks loosely like a P90 type gearbox but not the same. Its not so much the fact that they used push rods but rather in the way they used them. there's a lot of play in them and if you seen how the selector works you'd understand better why i think they cut corners really,(I'll post a pic of it tomorrow and show ya what i mean. :))

The nice thing about the gearbox though is it has the typical Ares/Star quick chance spring thing going on. its really handy to change out with little or no tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Just another note on the TAVOR that may help anyone who winds up in the same mess I did.

I dissasembled the gearbox to replace the air seal nozzle and when I put everything back together I test fired the box without the spring installed - mistake!

I must have spun the g/b up too fast or something but whatever happened, I snapped the back off the tappet plate.

So took the whole lot apart again and removed the broken tappet plate. Went comparing it to others and found that the closest match was the M16A2/M4 tappet plate.

This plate is exactly the right length and the back end is cut to the correct shape for meeting the catch on the spur gear - however, the seat for the air seal nozzle is too high, the back edge of the catching end of the plate needs to be reshaped and the entire plate is 0.5mm wider than the original.

Fixing the shape of the back edge of the catching end of the plate is a simple affair. Fixing the height of the air seal nozzle seat is a little trickier and takes some pretty precision dremelling. The width of the plate can be modified quite simply using an emery board.

All that done, the tappet plates works perfectly as a replacement.

It is important that the air seal nozzle seat is done precisely or it will either be too long and not fit in properly, or too short so it may not hold the air seal nozzle well enough.

Shaving down the width of the plate is also important as that extra 0.5mm is not available. Once the gearbox is reassembled, the plate will be pulled back by the spur gear but it won't go forward again. Once shaved down it works perfectly (I'm actually convinced mine even moves a little better than the original).

Whilst I was in there I also installed and active braking MOSFET system - it works perfectly in full auto but will only fire once in semi for some reason. Haven't properly looked into why this is the case yet.

Hope noone ever actually needs this info but there it is for ye just in case. :p

Masada wrote: »
    With the air nozzle attached though its very leaky. By the looks if it I would say its M4 compatible so I'm going to try a G&P nozzle in there with internal 0-ring for a better seal.

PS: yeah - M4/M16A2 air seal nozzle is the part you want. ;)

Little more progress on the Semi-Auto mode issue.

Still don't know why it locks up, but at the moment, on mine at least, if I switch from FA to semi it will fire once and then lock.

However, if I half spin the box in FA (pull the trigger but don't cycle a full round) and then switch to Semi, it works perfectly.

Like I said, I've absolutely no idea why it does this but there's the work around until someone figures it out at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Try a different volt battery, that lock up is common if the overspin leaves you sitting on the semi auto cut off lever.

Mine improved a lot by adjusting the selector push rod but it didn't eliminate the problem. it wouldn't happen with the gearbox removed from the gun and dry fired, saying to me the push rod was either flexing or not adjusted properly,
    I'm looking more towards the little rocker thing that presses the micro switch when i have her open again to see if i can improve it further. different battery's don't make a difference, nor does an active breaking mosfet.,

• Advertisement

have to agree there, i never put my finger on the exact reason for my lock ups but they stopped over a a complete strip down, due to the ass ways method of take down i did not use my normal try something and see what happens approach as it would have take to long and drove me up the way

i narrowed the issue down to one of these or more lickely a combination of these

as masada said the push rods, needed to adjust the rod on the trigger a lot to insure full movement, i does not like sharp trigger pulls or jabbing at the trigger, especially on semi you need to pull wait for the cycle to finish and then reset the trigger (again seems to be linked to rods and the micro switch system.

I also found micro switch components had extra material in places which meant they did not move smoothly, again i removed this seem lines and test fitted the whole micro switch assembly and puch rod system again and again until i was happy they moved freely and where not catching.

Try a different volt battery, that lock up is common if the overspin leaves you sitting on the semi auto cut off lever.

I've installed an active braking MOSFET so this shouldn't be the case.

I've also run 8.4 & 9.6V conventional, and 7.4V Lipo on deans so that ain't it either.

Puding and Masada have a good point - I too have found that straight after a reassembly, semi works perfectly until auto is used, then the problem re-occurs.

I'll have a detailed look through to see where any catching could be occuring.

Might actually try installing stronger return springs on the pushrod arms...

Just a little update guys, Ive cured the semi auto issue earlier on today.,

It was being caused by the little plastic cantilever thingy that transfers between the trigger arm and the actual mirco switch. Inside the main carrier of this is a really small spring loaded lever mechanism that engages with both the micro switch and the cut off lever (hence the correcting of the problem when going back to FA as it nudged the internal lever mech).
    The main carrier (small black rectangular piece with moving lever inside) when removed from the gun seems to be ok and the lever within it is able to move freely but once assembled this inner piece was binding on the inside of the main carrier. It was causing it to stick back and the only way of jolting it was to flick over to FA which in turn was lifting the cutoff lever and knocking this piece back into place.

Theres 2 small pins holding this piece inside the main carrier and the smaller of the 2 also has the spring for the internal lever attached to it. pressing these out is finicky enough but i'd avoid any brute force on such a small and hard to get part. A really small Torx bit worked a treat for me.

I took out the internal arm from the main carrier and filed the inner walls of the carrier aswell as a quick smoothing on the corresponding section on the internal bit. I also added a light coating to grease to this part before reassembly and tested it all in the lower half of the gearbox shell with some light pressure on it as I had before the mod. Previously with only slight pressure it would bind 50% of the time (It would be even more only for the vibration of the box when firing helping it along) and with the pretty simple mods done its now 100% operational.

Next in line I'm looking at converting this to a quick change barrel using the hopup mech from a Star/Ares Scar so that could be interesting. I haven't received the upgraded G&P air nozzle yet so the gearbox will need stripping once again anyway. Right now I'm getting jussst under 1J with a spring that would usually get probably 370-380 in most V2 boxes. Theres also a lot of scoring on the air nozzle from it moving in and out of the hopup mech where it isnt fitting as well as it should.

PS, I have pics of the parts causing the Semi issue but i only had the iphone to hand so their not great. will get em up when i get the chance., :)

I got the pics up online today so here goes, the quality is poor as it was only a phone though.,

These 2 black parts are the cause of the problem. the one to the right sits inside the one on the left and its supposed to be free to move but it binds on the inside of the part on the left.
    4198343352_e514b13b9e.jpg

This is the 2 parts assembled with the spring in place.
    4197589783_cc669e94d1.jpg

The cut off lever and trigger arm are visible in this pic. The black piece that resembles an anti reversal latch is the trigger arm and its function is to press on the part in the first pic, which then transfers to the microswitch also visible in the pic there.

4198341878_2184336c64.jpg

Another pic of the culprit.,
    4198341584_4834af4c06.jpg

And all back together for a dry firing before assembly.,
    4198343982_04026e755f.jpg

Hope that helps ya's sort your own ones, I'll take some more detailed shots when I have it open for the new air nozzle.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Surely if you've to use a spring that would get 380fps in a normal mechbox, you've got some huge airseal problems?

exactly, hence new air nozzle mentioned in the above 2 posts,.:)

Got a full days gaming under my belt with Soap McTavor today at the Milsim in HRTA and the gun is singing like an X-Factor Finalist.
    Semi worked without a hitch and the range was pretty impressive. Still not sorted on the air seal issue yet but that'll be sorted as soon as i can install the new nozzle.

So far the list of parts that went in are as follows.
    • Guarder Clear Silicone Hopup.
    • G&P M120 High Speed Motor
    • Active Breaking Mosfet
    • G&P Air Nozzle
    • Modified Trigger Switching Mech

Still to come, I'm thinking of replacing the non ported cylinder with a ported one to see how well that works. The barrel seems a little on the short side for a fully sealed cylinder.

So i finally got around to doing some more work to this thing, installed an M16 length barrel (Vanaras one, impressed with it so far but i'll know better when i get a few games in). I also installed a G&P air nozzle which didnt really go according to plan. its slightly shorter than the original, which isn't in great nick and is a little leaky so im gonna try some other brands and see what works best.

Heres some pics/vid of the part that causes the ever too common Semi Auto problem.

Vanaras and original barrel, side by side.
    4333523656_393b210dbf_b.jpg

4333527134_04258df114_b.jpg

Here's my original nozzle, I stuck in a G&P metal one with internal O-ring but it didnt really work well. Gonna order another and see how i get on.

4332773867_797a94f5cc_b.jpg

And here's the part that causes the gun to lock up in semi, the internal bit gets stuck on the frame and wont move smoothly within the main part. you need to file it a little to cure this.
    4332872279_fbd649a897_o.jpg

4332871545_ea0e4fc9de_b.jpg

Better pics of the area where the parts are binding.

4333841586_aa46984a2d_o.jpg

4333841752_f99cd1aef1_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomskimc

Hi Masada,
    I recently picked up a Tavor and have carried out most of the changes you've suggested. (Thanks for the really detailed review etc. really helped.) It's now firing at .74 so there may be an air leak. Did you manage to get the air nozzle issue sorted out? Would appreciate any suggestion to get the fps up.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wrogi

Did you manage to get the air nozzle issue sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gruntlogic

Ok I have been all over the internet looking for a replacement tappet plate for my Tavor but no luck. anyone know where I can purchase one?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭robust

Have you tried contacting them direct?
    ares@aresairsoft.com

Advertisement