Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

zenno wrote: »
    dublin will get zero today but maybe a hit later tonight and thats even looking bleak. south-east will get the accumulations.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Normally the same old view would be a little boring but this one never does. And it never changed in the time between these pics

62236280.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Rougies wrote: »
    Wrong.

We're getting some....................it all depends whereabouts in Dublin ya are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Bitta snow here (Sligo) for the last hour. Nothing special, just a light falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The cloud looks impressive but i doubt it will amount to much, you can see the sun behind it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

BEAUTIFUL now in Galway!!! Massive flakes :) wish I had a camera!!

Are you in Galway city? Im out in Craughwell and we're not getting much here at all. Very tiny amounts and not very often :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

zenno wrote: »
    dublin will get zero today but maybe a hit later tonight and thats even looking bleak. south-east will get the accumulations.

It's already been snowing here today and the precipitation, although light enough, is amplifiying in occurrence and area as we speak. Check the radar, it's showing the growth of showers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

why doesnt the ME radar pick up those bands of percip in donegal/derry like the UKMO radar does?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

First flakes fell just now & I do mean both of them, nothing to write on the internet about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Can the resident experts give their thoughts at this point for Waterford and the South East before I leave the laptop back in its bag for a while? (i.e. before she asks for a divorce).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ch750536 wrote: »
    First flakes fell just now & I do mean both of them, nothing to write on the internet about.
    Ironic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Are you in Galway city? Im out in Craughwell and we're not getting much here at all. Very tiny amounts and not very often :(

Yep, eastern part of the city. Very light here too, not even good for a proper dusting to stick, but from time to time suddenly large flakes start to fall... nothing intensive, but very atmospheric nevertheless :D

Edit: now it has stopped altogether :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

snaps wrote: »
    why doesnt the ME radar pick up those bands of percip in donegal/derry like the UKMO radar does?

Because the ME radar only uses Dublin and Shannon, the UKMO has one in Northern Ireland too and uses all three

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Snowing in Swords now ....quite light but the sky has just gone very dark.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

*opppss Mary got there first*...:D

snowing in Swords, very ligth though, but its dark enough out there now, and the temp seems to have dropped, house is getting cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

20739.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The sneachta shower went to my north unfortunately

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Snowing here at the moment, has been on and off all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Wrong.

enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Because the ME radar only uses Dublin and Shannon, the UKMO has one in Northern Ireland too and uses all three

Strange that ME dont use the Belfast one to then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well i have the video camera on the roof connected to the pc and it gave a flake or two in the last 3 hours so i can see. but clear sky's all round except for the rouge one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭squonk

Light flurry in Ennistymon, North Clare just now. It is sticking but not a a lot of it. Can we expect much more showers to come? I may need to travelto Galway later so would appreciate some feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

Really starting to kick off here in louth now,good strong snow in stiff easterly breezw with black skies over the irish sea bang on time!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very light and short 2 minute snow showers on and off all afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 michelle13

First few flakes starting to fall in Ballina :) The sky looks full of snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Very little snow around here today . Just had a very very light shower.
    -1.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Big flakes falling in Naas again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Just had a brief snow shower in Celbridge, a nice surprise and very unexpected as the sun was shining brightly a couple of minutes before it started, and the existing snow was starting to melt. Keeping my fingers crossed for more to come.

Just want to say a big thanks to all the forecasters here - I don't post much but I read it all and am learning more with each passing day and with each thing I learn, little as they might be, it just gets more and more interesting. :)
    The two most important lessons I have learnt so far are 1) it's very difficult to predict exactly what the weather might do and 2) no amount of wishful thinking, impatience or frustration will ever it make it snow! You've just got to hope for the best and let the weather do what it's going to do. Anyway, thanks to you all for all the really great and interesting discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

MollyZ wrote: »
    Just want to say a big thanks to all the forecasters here - I don't post much but I read it all and am learning more with each passing day and with each thing I learn, little as they might be, it just gets more and more interesting. :)
    The two most important lessons I have learnt so far are 1) it's very difficult to predict exactly what the weather might do and 2) no amount of wishful thinking, impatience or frustration will ever it make it snow! You've just got to hope for the best and let the weather do what it's going to do. Anyway, thanks to you all for all the really great and interesting discussions.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very little snow around here today . Just had a very very light shower.
    -1.5c

hopefully tomorrow will be better. the clouds look snow like but nothing falling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement