Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too much for 98 passat?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Greetings all.

I was wondering do you think 1,650 is too much to pay for a 1998 passat that has 126k on the clock?
    And does anyone have any advice on what to look out for when thinking of buying one of these?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I assume its diesel?

I sold my 98 TDI in Janurary. To be honest I got so many calls and texts about it I could have sold 10 passats.

Mine had about 116k on it and timing belt just done, a months tax and 2 months NCT. Let it go for €1600 to the first viewer 12 hours after I put it on donedeal as I was picking up my new car that night.

Once the timing belt has been done(and tensioners and waterpump) it should be a good buy.

Its due every 60k/4 years so should have been done.

Things to look out for:
    • Check the locks work nice and smoothly (check both front doors ;))
    • Check the carpet under the passanger seat for dampness. Sometimes the drainhole under the battery gets blocked and can lead to water entering the cabin.
    • Try and get her on a smooth surface and drive it around in a tight circle. Listen for any hopping etc, link arms can be prone to wear on these, steel versions are harder wearing for replacement at 80e each.
    • Check for wear on inside of front tyres, balljoints could be worn at that mileage, I needed one at 100K.

Don't let any of that put you off though, they are great cars, I really liked mine. Also they can smoke a little when you give it the boot.. in my opinion nothing to worry about if power etc is normal.

I was doing 450 miles a week in mine, great car for doing big miles.

Actually, where you buying this one? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 glassonions

Thanks that was a great reply. I'm buying it in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Greetings all.

I was wondering do you think 1,650 is too much to pay for a 1998 passat that has 126k on the clock?
    And does anyone have any advice on what to look out for when thinking of buying one of these?

Cheers.

NCT , tax , history , engine and what condition mite help gauge the price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thanks that was a great reply. I'm buying it in Galway.

No probs, I hate to use the word but they are pretty bulletproof. I serviced mine with castrol magnetec 10w40 every 5k miles though.

I don't know if your mechanically inclined at all, but even if not they are really easy to do an oil change on yourself etc if you intend on minding it and keeping it a while.

Paul

Well it did the NCT last week and passed and it is taxed but I have yet to see
    it.So maybe its not a bad price. Thanks for all the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,186 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depending on condition I'd offer them €1400 or €1500 max.

Seen as the car just passed the NCT this week would that make it mechanically sound. Would it still be wise to get a mechanic to check it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Seen as the car just passed the NCT this week would that make it mechanically sound. Would it still be wise to get a mechanic to check it over?

Just because it passed the nct wouldnt have much bearing on whether its mechanically sound or not. it definetly be wise to have a mechanic to give it a look over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

PaulKK wrote: »
    I assume its diesel?

I sold my 98 TDI in Janurary. To be honest I got so many calls and texts about it I could have sold 10 passats.

Mine had about 116k on it and timing belt just done, a months tax and 2 months NCT. Let it go for €1600 to the first viewer 12 hours after I put it on donedeal as I was picking up my new car that night.

Once the timing belt has been done(and tensioners and waterpump) it should be a good buy.

Its due every 60k/4 years so should have been done.

Things to look out for:
    • Check the locks work nice and smoothly (check both front doors ;))
    • Check the carpet under the passanger seat for dampness. Sometimes the drainhole under the battery gets blocked and can lead to water entering the cabin.
    • Try and get her on a smooth surface and drive it around in a tight circle. Listen for any hopping etc, link arms can be prone to wear on these, steel versions are harder wearing for replacement at 80e each.
    • Check for wear on inside of front tyres, balljoints could be worn at that mileage, I needed one at 100K.

Don't let any of that put you off though, they are great cars, I really liked mine. Also they can smoke a little when you give it the boot.. in my opinion nothing to worry about if power etc is normal.

I was doing 450 miles a week in mine, great car for doing big miles.

Actually, where you buying this one? :D

Tis a grand response. I have a 2000 Golf with the same generation TDI as the Passat. I have 150,000 miles on it and got it used. Follow the advice above, the timing belt is important.

If you find a good one kept well and you keep it well yourself, you got yourself a very good car.

Does anyone in Galway recommend any mechanic in particular to undertake the task? And how much are they likely to charge?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement