Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No need to service the Hilux...

• 25-04-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

...not really the way I wanted to avoid it, though!

111976.jpg
    111978.jpg
    111979.jpg
    111981.jpg
    111975.jpg

Came off a roundabout yesterday evening and slid at 51 km/ph (got the speed off a Roadhawk video I installed a few weeks ago). Went down a 6' embankment before going sideways through the wall. For those who know Galway, it happened at the new roundabout on the N6 between the Galway Clinic and Western Motors heading towards town. New tarmac, and had just rained after a dry spell, maing the roads like glass.

10 metres away there was another hole in the wall from where someone else had recently done the same thing.

I had just repainted the A-bar, and to make it worse it passed its DoE (MoT) on Friday!

Hurt ego, but thankfully nothing else!

Can't say the same for the Hilux. At least it still drives. They really are as tough as Top Gear say they are!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

years ago and 3 days before my faithfull 1997 Seat Ibiza needed it NCT I had a head on collision with an unacompanied learner driver.

2-3 weeks later and £3200 or so the car went for its NCT.

Sh*t happens. At least you are not hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

is it wrong that i want a youtube link. Upload it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

cant see the pics bro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

the images aren't showing. Can you try upload them again fey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

projectgtr wrote: »
    cant see the pics bro

Aye, you'll need to upload them to an image hosting site or directly to here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

is it wrong that i want a youtube link. Upload it now

All it shows it the wall coming up fast and me screaming "No, No, Nooooo" like a 10 year old girl!
    projectgtr wrote: »
    cant see the pics bro

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CONM

Fey! wrote: »
    All it shows it the wall coming up fast and me screaming "No, No, Nooooo" like a 10 year old girl!

Fixed.
    Sounds funny, can we please see it. And sorry in advance for laughing at your misfortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

its a hilux, its ment to have war wounds. just fix the glass parts and it'll be grand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

That is a PITA, glad you were alright out of it.
    Do you know if it is repairable (economically viable that is) yet?

CONM wrote: »
    Sounds funny, can we please see it. And sorry in advance for laughing at your misfortune

I'll try, but I'm not sure how to change the format, or how to screensave a video.

As for the laughing, we've been doing that ourselves; relief that noone was hurt!

The towtruck driver burst out laughing when he saw the hilux, from the moment he pulled in to when we finally got it on the back of the truck. not the most professional reaction, but he got me out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

here you go mate.........it'll be fine!!!!:D

Bummer :(
    I spent the last 12 months on Galway, lived in Roscam so that's roundabout was on my commute to work for the last few months I was there. It is a disaster of a roundabout, first time I approached it I was amazed at how badly it is positioned/sized etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hilux 1 - Wall 0

At least no one was hurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,754 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Glad you're ok! Is that your E39 in the background? Maybe go for a large estate as a replacement for the Hilux if all you need is carrying stuff and not really off road capability. Should be cheaper to run and a lot safer too.

Edit - are those bullbars still legal?

pounder770 wrote: »
    here you go mate.........it'll be fine!!!!:D

I got one 2 weeks ago to polish the 525 properly.

The Hiux is down in Jeremys (it was him who took the photos); when we arrived with the towtruck Jeremy and Dermot were standing there with some Autoglym and a couple of polishing cloths!

It happened on the way back from the hillclimb. I know that a few of the others had skids on their way home, too. The roads were lethal.

@Unkel; that is my e39. There were 3 of them there; my black 525 and the blue 523 being driven by my rescuers, and a blue M5 being driven by another lad who recognised us. It was like a mini e39 convention!!

The reason I bought the Hilux was because it was relatively cheap to buy and run, and was reliable. I go to and work on a lot of motorsport event, and wear on the car was becoming a bit much; it was cheaper run the hilux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Damn, that looks nasty. The Surf took a fair hit. Lucky it didn't roll though !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Feck, that was nasty OP - still any smack you walk away from is a good one.

@Unkel, Bullbars are illegal since July 2007 as per an EU directive. It's illegal to fit them to vehicles since then. If fitted previous to that date, there's no real law to stop you having them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Feyl!

The assessor was out to the crash site this morning, and chhecked out the hilux on Wednesday.

Awaiting his report and word back from the insurance company.

The problem is going to be replacing it; the prices of them have doubled since I bought mine!

Advertisement