Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing Custom roms on the Desire

Options
  • 05-06-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

What you need:
    A custom rom zip
    A rooted Desire
    The custom recovery found here http://www.multiupload.com/RWIG0RHSHS

Instructions:
    1. Download a custom rom and rename the zip file to "update.zip". Do NOT extract the custom rom zip.
    2. Download the custom recovery and extract it to any folder of your choice.
    3. Put update.zip on the root of your sdcard as you would put any other file on your phone.
    4. Turn off your phone and then restart it with while holding down the Volume down and Power buttons.
    5. You will now have reached the HBOOT screen, navigate down to RECOVERY using the Volume keys and use the Power button to select.
    6. A green HTC logo will flash across the screen followed by a black screen with a red exclamation mark.
    7. Now plug in your phone into a rear usb port (On a desktop) or any usb port on your laptop.
    8. Open the folder where you extracted the custom recovery and double click on recovery-windows.bat.
    9. It will start pushing files to your phone and within about a minute the green custom recovery menu will pop up on your phone.
    10. First of all, wipe your phone (If required by the custom rom) and then goto flash zip from sdcard. Choose update.zip and begin the flash.

Notes:
    1. You can find custom roms by on sites such as xda-developers.com/forums or by a simple google search.
    2. There is the slight risk of accidentally "bricking" your phone by entering recovery. Thankfully a fix has been discovered so rest assured.
    3. You use Volume down to go back whilst inside the recovery menu.
    4. You can ONLY use roms designed for the Desire. Do NOT under any circumstances flash a rom not released for the Desire.

Recommended roms for the Desire:

Froyo:
    DeFrost
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=690477

éclair:
    MoDaCo (MCR)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=676190

Any questions, just ask in this thread.

On a side note, I am currently developing a new site where rom chefs and developers can publish there custom roms. When this is released, it will hopefully provide a central database if you will for custom roms on Windows Mobile and Android. It's still a work in progress at the moment, I will post further details of the site as it nears completion ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi, Have you used the fyoyo rom? Is it any good?

Currently on Modaco custom rom (based on 2.1) and am very happy with that but wouldn't mind having a look at 2.2 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hi, Have you used the fyoyo rom? Is it any good?

Currently on Modaco custom rom (based on 2.1) and am very happy with that but wouldn't mind having a look at 2.2 ...
    It's very stable and fast but I had to go back to MCR because I couldn't live without Sense UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Quick question; when flashing a new ROM do you lose all of your apps and settings etc.?

JustinOval wrote: »
    Quick question; when flashing a new ROM do you lose all of your apps and settings etc.?
    You do indeed. But you can use an app called MyBackup off the market which can backup all your data and settings as well as apps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Must give that a go, i'd been using astro to back up apps, works well, only problem is the apps no longer show up in market as downloaded so you dont automatically get updates..

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Must give that a go, i'd been using astro to back up apps, works well, only problem is the apps no longer show up in market as downloaded so you dont automatically get updates..
    MyBackup backs up market links as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So does Titanium Backup.
    Ill be holding off on Froyo until more devs implement the SD card installation

So does Titanium Backup.
    Ill be holding off on Froyo until more devs implement the SD card installation
    But Titanium Backup doesn't backup your data like SMS, Call logs, Home screen arrangements and Settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My setups pretty standard so I cant say that bothers me too much

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Hum, currently I have A2SD installed, which means my apps are installed on the ext3 partition of the card.
    If I flash another ROM, will I have to reinstall the apps?
    Will there be any conflicts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement