Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best place to emigrate to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I saw adverts in the Irish Times today for construction workers in Dubai.....maybe an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

MarkD. wrote: »
    What kind of jobs could an Irish person walk into over there? What is in demand?

The area I have moved in to is education, plenty of opportunities at all levels (primary, secondary and third level).

Oil and gas are the obvious ones, but also finance. Construction seems to have slowed considerably, so I would not be sure about that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

The best place to emigrate is completely relative, like most things in life.

I left over 14 months ago. I got offered a better paying job than in Ireland and a chance to travel while furthering my career so i took it (no guilt, an irish guy got my old job - 1 less unemployed graduate).

Anyway, I spent a bit under 13 months in the Carribbean on an island of 70000 people. Perfect beaches, beautiful blue skies and 30 degrees every day. After 3 months, I hated it. The 'laid back' attitude of people was just antipathy to me. Island fever kicked in quickly. Terrible roads, red tape to do anything and corruption evident. It was a struggle. Other ex pats there loved it.

I'm now in Makati City in the Phillipines for over a months and i love it. Lively city, cheap as anything and the nicest people I've ever encountered. Other people working for the company here have hated it.

People thinking of emigrating always look for easy advice - tell me where is good? What kind of job can I get? Are the women/men attractive?? it;s all opinions.

As someone with a bit of experience as an emigrant i advise you to do some proper research yourself. Get online and get looking at jobs. Thoroughly research everything about the place you are going to move to. Look at the costs involved - not just rental costs or travel costs but other things. What's the tax situation? What is the cost of groceries (this can make a massive difference)? Remember that it;s a massive step and one that could end up with you back in Ireland pretty sharpish if things don't work out.

The places most frequently suggested for emigration (Britain aside) are Australia, Canada and (if you can get) America. Think outside the box. These places may be great but there is a big world out there to experience if you want out of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 greenbrain

what kind of job are u doing in makati city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Isle of Man.

Low crime, low unemployment, free healthcare, 20pc top rate of tax, beautiful countryside, English speaking, 25 minute flight away, outside EU.

Perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Johnny_Trotter

Think outside the box. These places may be great but there is a big world out there to experience if you want out of Ireland.

As an EU citizen, you'd be amazed with how many possibilities there are within a few hours of home. You have 26 other countries which you can consider outside Ireland, without needing to worry about visas or so on. Even if you wanted to stick to an English speaking environment, there are possibilities such as Malta or the UK out there. However, even working in Poland, I find I am under no obligation to speak Polish, although my colleagues appreciate my efforts to learn. Don't let language be a hindrance if you are considering moving somewhere.

As myflipflops has said, consider what you would like to gain by emigrating, and then see which options (for countries/locations) can meet those requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres opportunities in europe all right.
    last time I looked there were 640,000 open positions on the website for the job office in germany

but,
    australia is so much further away so it must be a better option ;)

greenbrain wrote: »
    what kind of job are u doing in makati city?

I work for a North American facing online gambling company.

As an EU citizen, you'd be amazed with how many possibilities there are within a few hours of home. You have 26 other countries which you can consider outside Ireland,.

Absolutely, my main point is that people seem to needlessly limit themselves to 4/5 standard options.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

TomBeckett wrote: »
    W Have a beautiful island and beaufiful people on it..!!!! Are you Joking?? you cant be possibly scerious:eek:

OP Thailand is very nice all year around:D

+1 for Thailand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

delonglad wrote: »
    Plenty of jobs in oil rigs and the like. Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineers could all do well out there. My uncle (Irish American) has been in Dubai for 5 years now and he is making more money than sense!

If you can ignore the Ethical issues that raise there head there then your grand.
    Also, if you cannot pay a debt in Dubai, you go to jail.

You'd want to watch out on the public affection thing
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8602449.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

If you can ignore the Ethical issues that raise there head there then your grand.

You'd want to watch out on the public affection thing
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8602449.stm

Yeah they have some mad views over there alright (each to their own) but the uncle seems to be getting on great over there.

Doesn't matter though i'm happy out here in Eindhoven :D

Plenty of jobs here too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MarkD. wrote: »
    What kind of jobs could an Irish person walk into over there? What is in demand?

IT is booming in Europe. as a result of IT booming, lots of other non-IT related jobs are available. Us techs need HR people, and canteen workers, and office administrators etc.

As I keep saying don't just look at North America, Australia and the UK when you are looking at job sites.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

syklops wrote: »
    IT is booming in Europe. as a result of IT booming, lots of other non-IT related jobs are available. Us techs need HR people, and canteen workers, and office administrators etc.

As I keep saying don't just look at North America, Australia and the UK when you are looking at job sites.
    delonglad wrote: »
    Yeah they have some mad views over there alright (each to their own) but the uncle seems to be getting on great over there.

Doesn't matter though i'm happy out here in Eindhoven :D

Plenty of jobs here too!

Could not agree more... It's very difficult to get good IT people in Europe right now - last time out, we were lucky to drum up four or five good applicants!

Good luck with that,

Jim (Switzerland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

I saw adverts in the Irish Times today for construction workers in Dubai.....maybe an option?

Wouldn't go near the Middle East.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/8228244/Britain-forms-plan-for-Gulf-evacuation-in-event-of-war-with-Iran.html

Because they are forward planning for a "what if?" scenario. Just like when nuclear bunkers were built in the US during the 50's? Or when lifejackets became mandatory on boats? Or when you buy life assurance?

If you knew anything about the Middle East and the politics of the region, you would know why war is extremely unlikely.

Typical ill-informed hysteria about the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Try UAE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Because they are forward planning for a "what if?" scenario. Just like when nuclear bunkers were built in the US during the 50's? Or when lifejackets became mandatory on boats? Or when you buy life assurance?

If you knew anything about the Middle East and the politics of the region, you would know why war is extremely unlikely.

Typical ill-informed hysteria about the region.

Where would you suggest is the best place to look for employment in the region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

That's the same here ?

professore wrote: »
    That's the same here ?

No, you can declare bankrupcy.

Have you ever heard of anyone in Ireland going to jail for an unpaid visa bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No, you can declare bankrupcy.

Have you ever heard of anyone in Ireland going to jail for an unpaid visa bill ?

One quick google search later:

http://www.debtadvice.ie/blogs/83/Court-frees-Woman-Jailed-Over-1500-Credit-Card-Debt.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Folks, let's try and keep the discussion focused on emigration destinations and their relative merits.

If you're aware of specific legal issues in certain countries and you want to compare them to Irish law, you can do so - but it's generally better to go by the letter of the law and/or legal advice on how the laws will be interpreted than by one or two news stories about cases that may or may not be exceptional in terms of how the laws are applied.

For instance, anyone travelling to or through the United Arab Emirates should be aware of the full list of restricted and controlled medicines or drugs (49-page PDF) before travelling. Certain items such as any prescription drugs containing codeine, diazepam or dextromethorphan are banned unless you have a notarized and authenticated doctor's prescription.

keane2097 wrote: »

I don't get your point, "Court frees Woman Jailed Over €1,500 Credit Card Debt"
    If she actually turned up in court an said "I can't pay" then she wouldnt go to jail.

Have a read of the article below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai_b_183851.html

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

Im considering Emigrating when I'm finished college, But I don't think I can get anyone to come with me. Does anyone know of any groups of people Irish or otherwise that I can go out to and meet with to live and or work with, or group of people that I could meet up with here and emigrate with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭3DataModem

eh2010 wrote: »
    Im considering Emigrating when I'm finished college, But I don't think I can get anyone to come with me. Does anyone know of any groups of people Irish or otherwise that I can go out to and meet with to live and or work with, or group of people that I could meet up with here and emigrate with?

You'll meet people when you are there, like any new job or home.

3DataModem wrote: »
    You'll meet people when you are there, like any new job or home.

Do not underestimate the need for a strong support mechanism when you move to a new country.

I was extremely lucky moving to Bahrain in that there were approx. 20 other Irish people moving with me (em, including my wife, of course). So we were all in the same boat and it made a massive difference in terms of issues we faced, missing home and going for a pint. I would now count some of them as being good friends.

It can be quite difficult making new friends in a new country, especially where the language barrier is present, or there are different cultural norms.

I suppose it all depends on the type of person and whether the person can make friends/settle in easily.

I see what you are saying Tom but I kind of agree with '3DataModem' in that I wouldn't be basing an emigration decision on having people to go with or a ready made group to step in with.

Both my moves (with the same company but to massively contrasting countries) were done on my own and while it is daunting moving to a completely new environment, it forces you to get out and make the effort. Admittedly, I haven't moved to non-English speaking places so the language issue is not there.

'eh2010' is presumably relatively young and probably male so it could potentially be a better move to get out there on your own.

Obviously lots depends on circumstance and destination. You moved with your wife and to a small country and I'm aware both those bring about different needs.

I see what you are saying Tom but I kind of agree with '3DataModem' in that I wouldn't be basing an emigration decision on having people to go with or a ready made group to step in with.

I agree, to a certain extent. Though going with people, as opposed to going on your own, is a little easier.
    Both my moves (with the same company but to massively contrasting countries) were done on my own and while it is daunting moving to a completely new environment, it forces you to get out and make the effort. Admittedly, I haven't moved to non-English speaking places so the language issue is not there.

'eh2010' is presumably relatively young and probably male so it could potentially be a better move to get out there on your own.

Obviously lots depends on circumstance and destination. You moved with your wife and to a small country and I'm aware both those bring about different needs.

Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

any good countries in Europe to emigrate to?

i am currently in 2nd year of a business/i.t. degree so i would have 2 years to learn a new language. i was thinking Norway myself cause they only have 3.2% unemployment and a sound economy (i think). then again the world might be very different in 2 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

any good countries in Europe to emigrate to?

i am currently in 2nd year of a business/i.t. degree so i would have 2 years to learn a new language. i was thinking Norway myself cause they only have 3.2% unemployment and a sound economy (i think). then again the world might be very different in 2 years time.

One vote for the Czech Republic.

Plenty of jobs(particularly IT), strongest Currency in Europe, great beer.

Don't worry about language too much, most people under 30 have a decent knowledge of English. This is the case all over Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

syklops wrote: »
    One vote for the Czech Republic.

Plenty of jobs(particularly IT), strongest Currency in Europe, great beer.

Don't worry about language too much, most people under 30 have a decent knowledge of English. This is the case all over Europe.

when u were looking for working in the Czech Republic did employers want u 2 be able to speak Czech?

Advertisement