Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Match Thread*** Tues 15/2 20:15 Wes2 -vs- SS Rovers

Options
  • 14-02-2011 2:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Important game tomorrow. SS won in our off week but we should have some people back for this.
    Last week was a big dissapointment not only the result but the performance. We know we are capable of winning against any team as we have proven all season. Tomorrow lets get back into that mindset. Lets play our game and let SS worry about the damage we can do on the attack.

Clay - in
    Conor - in
    Keith - in
    Gav - in
    Jules - in
    Ciaran - in
    Dave B - out
    Ronan D - work
    Gary - work
    Eamon - work
    Kenny - in
    Cathal - in
    Eoin - in
    Collie - in
    Anto - in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Not sure I'm available, feel like crap today, brewing a cold, will come along though if you need numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

I Am In

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

barring a miracle I'm out this week and next week with work. Give them hell lads, we're more than capable of beating these guys on any given night.

Des, will you give me a text tomorrow if you need me? Won't be near a pc after 2.

Man flu has got the better of me so good luck tonight lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

best of luck tonight lads, ive been keeping an eye on results all season and des has been keeping me updated also. i had hoped to get down to see a few games, but every night youve had a match,ive had college, so its been impossible.

huge game, one of the most important for boards since set up in early 2006, so give it your all and dont leave anything behind. not that you need motivation to win, but weve had a few chances to win leagues before and didnt, so give it that extra push tonight to get over the line. would be great to see the likes of Des, Mikie, Jules, Catal there since day one and the lads like gav, keith, dave and a few more there since the 2nd season to get that winners medal after going so close over the past few years.

again, best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Even in this sort of weather I'm tempted to go to this one. Massive game, easily the biggest since I've been watching. This is the pitch with the dugouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dfx- wrote: »
    Even in this sort of weather I'm tempted to go to this one. Massive game, easily the biggest since I've been watching. This is the pitch with the dugouts?

It's the top pitch, where we were last time.

best of luck tonight lads, ive been keeping an eye on results all season and des has been keeping me updated also. i had hoped to get down to see a few games, but every night youve had a match,ive had college, so its been impossible.

huge game, one of the most important for boards since set up in early 2006, so give it your all and dont leave anything behind. not that you need motivation to win, but weve had a few chances to win leagues before and didnt, so give it that extra push tonight to get over the line. would be great to see the likes of Des, Mikie, Jules, Catal there since day one and the lads like gav, keith, dave and a few more there since the 2nd season to get that winners medal after going so close over the past few years.

again, best of luck.

Thanks Ed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

1-2 loss

What a horrible feeling: 2 good chances to make it 2-1 to us in the last 5 minutes and from the second one they they go down the pitch to score with 1 minute left.

For my part, the stomach bug had me seriously under the weather and I was in slow motion so I'm sorry about that lads - if we'd another squad member there I'd have stepped out. But we were off key in a few ways tonight but yet had the best of the clearcut chances. Their keeper was absolutely outstanding and made the best save I've seen in all our seasons in these leagues (low to bottom left corner from Gav's perfectly placed strike near the end) but yet they had more of the possession.

The calls for the ball as a man was receiving it became a bit like hectic screams and that can put pressure on the man when a calm call would be more productive - just a little point to keep in mind.

I was impressed by how we turned the tide in the final third and kept on pushing forward - there was a 15 minute period before the winner when we were clearly on top and making good moves and chances but just couldn't finish. A neutral would likely say a draw would have been a fair result, but they only had 2 chances besides their goals, whereas we had a few more than that but couldn't convert which was gutting.

But though we didn't fully click at all times tonight, we were hard to beat at all times and very threatening when we did click - we're still the best team in this league lads. We'll need 9 points from the remaining 9 to win this title so let's focus on bagging 3 points next week and take it from there to put this horrible feeling out of our minds quick smart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I thought it was a fascinating game, one team with a high stretched defensive line and one very deep relying on getting bodies in the way. Two opposite defensive strategies.

It was very scrappy until the opening goal, I lost count of the shots around the edge of the box that they blocked from having a sheer number of bodies in the way. At the other end, they were struggling to provide the perfect pass that the high line forces on them.

Both sides conceded their first goal because of their approach, one tap in from close in for Boardeaux and an unchallenged breakaway run and shot for their equaliser. I thought you played instantly better with the ball after the first goal, confidence returned and you looked most likely to get a second throughout the whole game except for their keeper pulling off outstanding saves and being a magnet for the ball.

Another breakaway with about the fourth last kick for their winner was a bitter pill to swallow, a defeat was never deserved. But it's not over yet...

Good luck with the rest of the season lads.

dfx- wrote: »
    I thought it was a fascinating game, one team with a high stretched defensive line and one very deep relying on getting bodies in the way. Two opposite defensive strategies.

It was very scrappy until the opening goal, I lost count of the shots around the edge of the box that they blocked from having a sheer number of bodies in the way. At the other end, they were struggling to provide the perfect pass that the high line forces on them.

Both sides conceded their first goal because of their approach, one tap in from close in for Boardeaux and an unchallenged breakaway run and shot for their equaliser. I thought you played instantly better with the ball after the first goal, confidence returned and you looked most likely to get a second throughout the whole game except for their keeper pulling off outstanding saves and being a magnet for the ball.

Another breakaway with about the fourth last kick for their winner was a bitter pill to swallow, a defeat was never deserved. But it's not over yet...

Good luck with the rest of the season lads.

That's a really astute summary Daryl, thanks. You're dead right about their keeper being a magnet for the ball - our finishing could have been better for sure but his positioning was top class and his saves were outstanding.

Advertisement