Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Masters and UK moving venue

• 26-04-2011 2:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Next season will see the UK C'ships move back to it's previous home in York and the Masters will move from it's home in Wembley to the Alexandra Palace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

What are the arenas like? I always thought the atmosphere at Wembley in particular was very intense, and translated well on the screen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I for one think it is a good move for both tournaments.

With the UK Championship, The Barbican Centre in York was a great venue, but everyone seems to say the UK's original venue at the Guild Hall in Preston was best.

And with the Masters, the Wembley Arena has never really seemed to be a proper set-up for the snooker since it moved thare a few years ago. It always seemed a bit too big and unused (from watching on TV) for a snooker event with it's high walled stadium seating. I wonder if anyone who has attended could confirm this.

The now demolished Wembley Conference Centre on the other hand was a superb 2,000+ seater oval arena. It always looked to be an amazing place to play. It's a pity it had to be knocked down, I think it was for the rejuvination of the Wembley stadium accross the road though.

grand%20hall%20wembley%202.jpg_38761073_wembley_fans_gi300.jpg

It is easy to see the Barry Hearn effect with it moving to the "Ally Pally" though with it being the current venue for the PDC World Darts Championship. It does look to be a cracking place for snooker and it's great to see the Masters staying in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

might need a decent set of binoculars if your taking the cheap seats thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Personally i'm delighted the UK is moving back to York, the Barbican is a super venue, something about York around that time of year (Dec) gives the tournament a great feel.
    I was always fond of the Guild Hall and have some great memories there, i remember a few years back in a pre televised event Peter Ebdon making a 147 against Ken Doherty and as the final black was potted Ebdon dropped to his knees! Ken incidently went on to beat him.
    Also the final against Hendry in '94 was special, how Ken managed to stay someway in touch with him even after all those centuries always amazes me.
    The Guild Hall was very dated though and the back stage areas where very basic but all in all it was a great venue.

Regarding the Masters, well i'm all for moving out of the new Wembley Arena, since it replaced the Conference Centre the atmosphere at the Master has been very different, in simple terms the place is too big. The organisers have to section off half the arena and even then it's too big.
    The old Conference Centre was fantastic and the atmosphere it made was very special none more so when Jimmy White played especially after been introduced by the great Alan Hughes as 'The Whirlwind Of London Town'!!
    Again many good memories there, from the first time Ken qualified by winning the Benson & Hedges Tournament in Scotland to his two final defeats, let alone the missed black on 140 in the final against Matthew Stevens, i had visions of driving up to Holyhead the next day in a brand new Honda sports car! But it was'nt to be and Aer Lingus had to do.

But these are great moves for the two events, they are two of the flagship tournaments on the calendar and deserve the best venues.

Advertisement