Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stetson - a brand not a style...

Options
  • 03-01-2012 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

A hat thread from me at last :)

I've just become the proud owner (belated Xmas/early birthday) of my first Stetson;

I've always thought of a Stetson as a style of hat - not a brand: wrong of course
    "Within a decade the name John B. Stetson became synonymous with the word "hat," in every corner and culture of the West."

I went for a gambler style - A Royal Flush no less, from the Gun Club range; 4X rabbit fur felt, silk liner, leather hatband and leather sweatband. Love it.

Stetson-Royal-Flush-Sep-2004-500X.gif

The cherry on the top was meeting the guys (Bill and Stuart) at the Mans Hat shop; Bill on the right, Stuart in the middle...service, advice and a bit of fun trying other styles...these guys have 4000 styles in stock and the shop has been in business since 1946.

group(1).jpg

http://manshatshop.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Do Stetson still do a beaver fur felt or is it all rabbit these days? Looks nice, well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yep they do beaver...be prepared to pay though; starter quality pure beaver felt (4X) runs about $200, 10X about $300 and 30X a whopping $400 upwards...hell of a lot to pay for a hat. All will last more than generation however if well cared for...

Couple of things I learned....store upside down, never put flat on the table brimside down, never handle the crown.

Advertisement