Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts of repo rare arcade carts? (Ikaruga / Sega Naomi)

• 17-08-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

I've just been offered this and I'm unsure what the real benefit it would be since I already have a NetDimm (nearly like a flash cart) for my Naomi2.

I know folks don't like repo home console carts but what be your thoughts (if any) of repo rare arcade carts?

ikaruga-cart1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Oh, another;
    rsg-pcb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'm undecided. It's a nice way to have the games working on your cabinet but then, it's not the real deal and you're paying for something that isn't real. That said I have the Modbios G-Net system which is grand. Although some games I'd like to buy the cards for in future.

Something like Progear though, I'd consider I think. Mainly because of the price it commands, you'd never get one unless you were super lucky to find a legit one and also super rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well depends how much they are against the price of the real deal, personally I'd get these becuase I'm not hugely into collecting for arcades, just into playing them more so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Something like Progear though, I'd consider I think. Mainly because of the price it commands, you'd never get one unless you were super lucky to find a legit one and also super rich.

I bet Steve already has two! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Radiant silvergun STV I've seen selling for quite cheap, I wouldn't pay over the odds for a repro. The saturn version is superior.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I bet Steve already has two! ;)

Possibly. But you need to know exactly what you are buying if you want a legit Progear. It's ridiculously hard to find, hence the astronomical price a legit board commands.

I'd consider a conversion or a phoenixed version if the price was right. Cheapest conversion I saw was around €350 I think.

You need to examine the case sticker as even those are bootlegged, even on legit boards.

It's an incredible game though, I prefer it to Akai Katana (although both are brilliant games of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

350 euro for any CPS2 conversion board is ridiculous! It doesn't matter what game it is, a conversion is a conversion. They'd all be made the same way.

I was reading up on how it's done and it doesn't seem to be that hard of a process. If you really wanted one you could probably just buy a cheap CPS2 board and do it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd consider a conversion or a phoenixed version if the price was right

Big difference between the two. A conversion is another game hacked/converted into Progear, a phoenixed progear is all original, right down to the original rom chips. So to me, a phoenixed version is way more desireable than a conversion

True. I just meant that if a phoenixed version was priced right I'd consider it. But the price would be mighty and the board difficult to source.

Hmm, a conversion sounds like an interesting DIY project. Could be worth a look-in... :)

EDIT: Interesting!

http://ikotsu.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/progear-capcom-cps2-cavecapcom-2001.html

True. I just meant that if a phoenixed version was priced right I'd consider it. But the price would be mighty and the board difficult to source.

Hmm, a conversion sounds like an interesting DIY project. Could be worth a look-in... :)

EDIT: Interesting!

http://ikotsu.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/progear-capcom-cps2-cavecapcom-2001.html

I'd a conversion SSF2HAE before, they're an ugly hack unless you have the right donor board. The one I got didn't & was missing certain sounds etc as the donor board wasn't a high enough revision.

Tbh, unless the board is stock, it's just not worth the hassle. With the likes of JPAC solutions available now, it's easier to turn a pc into a pcb without having to modify the cab's internals.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I think a CPS2 Vampire Savior doesn't need any soldering to convert into a Progear.

Worth looking into I think. Wouldn't mind one myself!

I'd forgotten about that converted SSF2HAE Enternow, I think that's up in my Grandparents attic stored away with all my other goodies!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think a CPS2 Vampire Savior doesn't need any soldering to convert into a Progear.

Worth looking into I think. Wouldn't mind one myself!!

I dunno, I've always hated the thoughts of killing one game to make another. Unless its something totally rubbish I'd feel bad doing it :o

Re that SSF2HAE, if you dump all the roms on that board onto a G revision board, it should be perfect as far as I remember

Hmm, I'm going to look in to it. It'd be an interesting project to document I think. I'll price it up and see where the land lies then. If it's worth it, I'll seriously consider doing it.*

*aka, ruin the board with dodgy soldering then post here asking for help. :D

Hmm, I'm going to look in to it. It'd be an interesting project to document I think. I'll price it up and see where the land lies then. If it's worth it, I'll seriously consider doing it.*

*aka, ruin the board with dodgy soldering then post here asking for help. :D

You do know that owning a hacked g-net & a converted cps2 board means we won't be listening to any purist cr@p off you in the future? :D

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I dunno, I've always hated the thoughts of killing one game to make another. Unless its something totally rubbish I'd feel bad doing it :o

Re that SSF2HAE, if you dump all the roms on that board onto a G revision board, it should be perfect as far as I remember

Same, that's one of the reasons I hate repro carts and all that jazz.

But as far as CPS2 goes, if a game is dead due to a dead battery and it's a cheap common game nobody wants, then maybe it's not such a crime to convert it?

I don't fancy making a total hack job, but if it's just a matter of clipping in some Progear eeproms in place of the Vampire Savior ones then maybe it's not so bad.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Same, that's one of the reasons I hate repro carts and all that jazz.

But as far as CPS2 goes, if a game is dead due to a dead battery and it's a cheap common game nobody wants, then maybe it's not such a crime to convert it?

I don't fancy making a total hack job, but if it's just a matter of clipping in some Progear eeproms in place of the Vampire Savior ones then maybe it's not so bad.

Yeah true, a dead board is a dead board & it either has to be phoenixed or converted to ever be used again...good point.

Re clipping in the roms, I think its just a case of that with a G revision board...it also has to have a certain value hex invertor but its prob standard on a G revision anyway

You do know that owning a hacked g-net & a converted cps2 board means we won't be listening to any purist cr@p off you in the future? :D

Still 95% purist! :)

Still 95% purist! :)

Thats just hypocritical man, a purist wouldn't use a hacked g-net :p

Master of the Universe

Sure he's all over MAME these days too. He'll be converting that Astro to a MAME cab in no time - LCD computer panel and all :pac:

It's like saying I'm 95% vegetarian. I don't eat meat except for on Friday nights when I get some yummy take away :D

Sorry Sparks, your now part of the filth like the rest of us. I think only Steve & Casey have halo's on them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's like saying I'm 95% vegetarian. I don't eat meat except for on Friday nights when I get some yummy take away :D

Sorry Sparks, your now part of the filth like the rest of us. I think only Steve & Casey have halo's on them now

Nah, not me. I'm no purist and love my Hyperspin setup on the candy.
    Sometimes I play the game on that rather than get it and install inside the cab. A lot of my PCB's are stored in my storage locker as well so it saves a trip.
    Also, yes I have Progear as well as most of the desirable cps2 boards :)
    On that note, I have a stack of cps2 boards that need some phoenix love before they meet an untimely death/suicide.

Advertisement