Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky introduce new encryption system to combat piracy (HD Channels have began switch)

• 23-05-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

From thread on DS -
    Confirmed channels switched to new encryption data -

Sky 1 HD
    Sky Premier HD
    Sky Atlantic HD
    Sky SciFi / Horror HD
    Sky Disney HD
    Sky Living HD
    Sky Arts 1 HD
    Sky Arts 2 HD
    National Geographic UK HD
    History HD
    Crime HD
    NAT Geo Wild HD

Sky's new pairing doesn't introduce any significant differences to the existing NDS data, that data is still encrypted so only a genuine card can decrypt it, but what it does do is add an additional layer of encryption between the box/card to prevent their cards from being used in card servers like oscam or CCcam (what your c line uses to decrypt channels).

A new HD box running the latest firmware is able to take the incoming NDS data [ECMs/EMMs] from the MPEG (video) stream and further encrypt it before sending it to the card.

An old HD box (or an SD box) just continues as it did before, extracting the NDS data from the MPEG stream and feeding it to the card.

This design allows Sky to alter NOTHING to the existing NDS code, which is essential to (a) prevent loggers/hackers from running comparators over logs from the then/now data streams and (b) allow older boxes to work as before.

Remember, the change has NOT happened at the NDS level, it has happened at the firmware level of both the new HD boxes and the existing cards.

It's the boxes that are instructed to use the pairing algorithm [or not] for a particular channel(s) [or more accurately, entitlement group/level]

If you place a card in a new HD box, the card will be instructed to accept the newly encrypted data using the sky box's pairing key...

If you then move the card back to oscam, it will continue to expect that encrypted data for that channel(s) and try to decrypt it...
    Of course, as the incoming data is NOT encrypted (coming from oscam for example) you'll get nothing worthwhile back..

So what happens when you put a card back in oscam or put it back in an SD box or an old HD box and leave it..?
    If the card is unable to verify it's running in a new HD box [after x amount of time (or cycles) or following a new install/pairing process], it reverts back to the original system we all know and love, which is of course easy for most to share.
    [I'm sure their lawyers have reminded Sky not to enforce a blackout on paying customers for fear of prosecution or maybe Sky have acknowledged some people may use their own older boxes in the event of a failure..]

How long Sky allow the card to revert back on the other hand is the question most pay servers should be considering..

As it stands now the new system does nothing to prevent c/s, however, once Sky are happy they have updated all the smartcards (all those EMMs you've been seeing...) and have completed most (if not all) of the box upgrades, expect to see some disruption.

When this will be, you'll have to ask the boys over at Sky (and I'm not talking about their installers / customer support agents here lol)

Here's a quick overview of both the old and new data exchange:

Current:
    ECM/EMM Data is fed to the box via the MPEG stream, it then passes it to the card for a response.

New:
    ECM/EMM Data is fed to the box via the MPEG stream, it then further encrypts the data using a pairing key before passing it on to the card. The card decrypts this in order to then decrypt and process the original ECM/EMM command. The reply is then encrypted [again using the pairing key] and sent back to the box, which then decrypts and executes it.

Both the original ECM/EMM data and the reply have not changed, the only thing that has changed is the way the data was exchanged between the box and the card..

Very interesting (albeit expected) development from bskyb to combat piracy, from what I have read elsewhere Sky Italia have been using the system for about 6 months and all HD channels should be under the umbrella of the new encryption system before the world cup comes around.

I suppose at the end of the day the system will be broke but it will give sky much needed breathing space - internet streaming I take will be their next big area to tackle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

irishfeen wrote: »
    From thread on DS -

Very interesting (albeit expected) development from bskyb to combat piracy, from what I have read elsewhere Sky Italia have been using the system for about 6 months and all channels should be under the umbrella of the new encryption system before the world cup comes around.

I suppose at the end of the day the system will be broke but it will give sky much needed breathing space - internet streaming I take will be their next big area to tackle

Certainly not the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

radiowaves wrote: »
    Certainly not the case :)
    Ha thanks for pointing that out radio, I meant HD channels... SD will remain on the old system until all old boxes are upgraded (which will happen in due course) - I would expect all boxes to be upgraded within 12 months though.

Ha thanks for pointing that out radio, I meant HD channels... SD will remain on the old system until all old boxes are upgraded (which will happen in due course)

Ah, I see that now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

reading the international fourms, it seems that the sky italia has succumbed to a hacker, is there not someone always trying to outsmart the authoritys.

flutered wrote: »
    reading the international fourms, it seems that the sky italia has succumbed to a hacker, is there not someone always trying to outsmart the authoritys.
    Really?? :eek: ... first I have heard about it, I have heard it was rolled across sky Italy about 6 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Ha thanks for pointing that out radio, I meant HD channels... SD will remain on the old system until all old boxes are upgraded (which will happen in due course) - I would expect all boxes to be upgraded within 12 months though.

no chance of that until sky drop the sub charge for hd

Really?? :eek: ... first I have heard about it, I have heard it was rolled across sky Italy about 6 months ago.

It was (all HD channels).

What he's saying is that it's (rumoured to have) been hacked.

tinner777 wrote: »
    Could of course just directly replace all old boxes free of charge to let people remain on their normal subscription.

tinner777 wrote: »

Subscribers don't need to be HD subscribers to receive the new box.

Once all the HD channels are on the new pairing system they will start targeting the SD boxes. Once most subscribers are on the newer boxes I would expect the HD charge to be dropped (it effectively subsidises the boxes).

Just googled the potential sky Italy "hack" and it doesn't seem all what its cracked up to be - boxes are suppose to be selling for thousands of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

That would be the cost to the server though, obv. Looks like it could be fake but it's only a matter of time before a real hack is released.

internet streaming I take will be their next big area to tackle

Unless they figure out how to lock down the internet, preventing streaming is pretty much an impossibility. :)

CL7 wrote: »
    That would be the cost to the server though, obv. Looks like it could be fake but it's only a matter of time before a real hack is released.

Unless they figure out how to lock down the internet, preventing streaming is pretty much an impossibility. :)
    I suppose we could see tighter controls on streaming websites from internet providers and the likes - if sky can make the encryption system unbreakable then it would be massive in the fight against piracy. To be brutally honest sky and other subscription broadcasters should really look at themselves and ask themselves why people actually go to the bother of doing this - rising prices are unsustainable in the long term and it will come to a point where people will just refuse to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Sure if Sky stop the cardsharing won't this also stop the illegal streams? , am I correct in thinking that the sites for streaming are sourced from card sharing? I know there will be still plenty of sources available for streaming but may be this will stop it at Sky's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Most people watching illegal streams will be watching for sport. Most streams for games that I would see are from non UK broadcasters. As much as Sky might try they will never stop it.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Most people watching illegal streams will be watching for sport. Most streams for games that I would see are from non UK broadcasters. As much as Sky might try they will never stop it.
    Still obviously the English language and the sky feed in particular would be the most sought after for those who indulge in streaming matches. I think the NBC PL feeds will majorly increase off the back of this as direct HD streaming from certain boxes in the UK will probably be more difficult.

I'm trying to figure where this "before the World Cup" idea came from (I know you're just reporting on what you've read elsewhere Irishfeen).

I don't doubt that it may well be completed before then but I don't think Sky execs are thinking that way - Sky don't have the World Cup!

Any World Cup matches in HD on their system will be available on FTA channels (apart from RTÉ Two of course but that would hardly be prioritised).

I think whoever first posted this may have got confused thanks to Bein Sports' announcement in which they have publicly stated that ALL of their channels (SD and the remaining HDs) will be "secure" by the time the World Cup kicks off. Bein Sports will be covering the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Just googled the potential sky Italy "hack" and it doesn't seem all what its cracked up to be - boxes are suppose to be selling for thousands of euro.

I have heard that also.

It has been beaten, so I'm told, but they will only release it to big servers as there is so much money involved.

A lot of the people that hack it are the same people behind the decryption in the first place.

Money has a lot of persuasion in that line of business.

I'm trying to figure where this "before the World Cup" idea came from (I know you're just reporting on what you've read elsewhere Irishfeen).

I don't doubt that it may well be completed before then but I don't think Sky execs are thinking that way - Sky don't have the World Cup!

Any World Cup matches in HD on their system will be available on FTA channels (apart from RTÉ Two of course but that would hardly be prioritised).

I think whoever first posted this may have got confused thanks to Bein Sports' announcement in which they have publicly stated that ALL of their channels (SD and the remaining HDs) will be "secure" by the time the World Cup kicks off. Bein Sports will be covering the World Cup.
    As you say radiowaves i'm just passing on information but it could very well have been leaked from inside sky - its hard enough to understand how the new encryption system will work but i'm taking for granted that the channels already under the new system are basically in "test" phase and if successful (as in no problems reported) then it could be rolled out across the rest of the HD channels overnight.

As you say radiowaves i'm just passing on information but it could very well have been leaked from inside sky - its hard enough to understand how the new encryption system will work but i'm taking for granted that the channels already under the new system are basically in "test" phase and if successful (as in no problems reported) then it could be rolled out across the rest of the HD channels overnight.

100% agree with you mate - and the fact that some of the premium channels have now been "knocked out" suggests the next stage is in progress (ie see if any premium rate subscribers are affected).

I just wonder about the "World Cup" reference - a leak from inside Sky wouldn't reference that. As I said, Sky have no reason to use that as a reference point. (Whereas Bein Sports do.)

100% agree with you mate - and the fact that some of the premium channels have now been "knocked out" suggests the next stage is in progress (ie see if any premium rate subscribers are affected).

I just wonder about the "World Cup" reference - a leak from inside Sky wouldn't reference that. As I said, Sky have no reason to use that as a reference point. (Whereas Bein Sports do.)
    Maybe they decided to get their act together alongside Bein Sport and it became a date too for which they decided would work well - I suppose you could say during the WC would actually be the perfect time to roll it out across Sky Sports as viewership would be massively reduced and all major sporting events would have finished so if something did go wrong it wouldn't cause chaos (can you imagine if all genuine subscriptions went down during a massive PL/CL game)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

It's a game of whack a mole and always will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Still obviously the English language and the sky feed in particular would be the most sought after for those who indulge in streaming matches. I think the NBC PL feeds will majorly increase off the back of this as direct HD streaming from certain boxes in the UK will probably be more difficult.

There are plenty of English language non sky streams available every week. It's only European providers that are restricted with language options. If I was to find a Sky/BT stream I'd be quick to look for another as their commentary is usually abysmal and I am far from alone. Sky Sports isn't the pinnacle of football broadcasting that many think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

CL7 wrote: »
    Unless they figure out how to lock down the internet, preventing streaming is pretty much an impossibility.

There is a way to stop Internet card sharing. Which is low bandwidth and NOT streaming. Actual video re-encoding and streaming can't be stopped. At one level you can point a digital camera at an HDTV to get an HD feed even without attacking HDMI's HDCP DRM.

Obviously I'm not going to explain how Card Sharing works or why I know it can be blocked.

Either take out a valid subscription or only watch FTA TV. Actually if people boycotted Sky Sports, Setanta BT Pay TV etc, the "sport" Pay TV model would collapse and the matches would be on FTA TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

watty wrote: »
    There is a way to stop Internet card sharing. Which is low bandwidth and NOT streaming. Actual video re-encoding and streaming can't be stopped. At one level you can point a digital camera at an HDTV to get an HD feed even without attacking HDMI's HDCP DRM.

Obviously I'm not going to explain how Card Sharing works or why I know it can be blocked.

Either take out a valid subscription or only watch FTA TV. Actually if people boycotted Sky Sports, Setanta BT Pay TV etc, the "sport" Pay TV model would collapse and the matches would be on FTA TV.

Yeah but then you wouldnt have players like Rooney earning 300K a week.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

I would hazard a guess and say that Mr Rooney has very little else going for himself so would take whatever the market rate was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sky 1 - Pirates 1

Sky will take a 2-1 lead if they block all the HD channels.

Im not familiar with the encryption process to make a valid comment.

kippy wrote: »
    Yeah but then you wouldnt have players like Rooney earning 300K a week.........

If the players and clubs paid a more sensible amount the game quality would improve. The amount of money from "Rights" is turning what used to be a sport into a "celebrity spectacle".

watty wrote: »
    If the players and clubs paid a more sensible amount the game quality would improve. The amount of money from "Rights" is turning what used to be a sport into a "celebrity spectacle".

The same argument could even be used, If sky charged a decent price people would pay it and not look for alternatives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It's the age old story, as long as people are foolish enough willing to pay big prices, companies will keep charging them. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

It's the age old story, as long as people are foolish enough willing to pay big prices, companies will keep charging them. :(

Sure Sky Movies isnt as popular as it used to be and Sky have a few offers to increase subscribers.

Netflix is kicking Sky's butt at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That's extremely interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

mikeym wrote: »
    Sure Sky Movies isnt as popular as it used to be and Sky have a few offers to increase subscribers.

Looking through the films they have on every so often this doesn't surprise me - just seems to be repeat after repeat of some very average films - Netflix as you say must be making hay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

In this day in age, movie channels should not be a premium package. Its ridiculous sky are still charging extra for movies. The only thing left "Premium" now a days is sport, which is way overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So is this the death knell for the DReambox and card sharing?

NIMAN wrote: »
    With sky still having the old SD boxes in use it will only be the HD channels which will be lost but if sky decided to give everyone HD boxes then yes they could transfer all channels (SD & HD) over to the new encryption system and probably stop it (at least for a while) over night.

• Advertisement

do not romania broadcast most of it programs in their native language, ie english, its not impossible to recieve that feed.

on one side you have the muntiple(s), saying i am keeping all this for themselves, on the other side you have the sub sellers saying that no you dont we require a little from it also, then you have the guy who says i am the best hacker in the world, i can beeat your experts, he will take things so far, then you have another bloke who will take it faurther, and so on until its open season once again.

The encryption has been cracked on Sky Italia HD (identical setup, their channels disappeared months ago), but for now the hackers are only selling it to the highest bidding pay servers. Sky UK will follow, but pay servers will do nothing in the UK until Sky plays their cards and completes their rollout, which could be the end of the year. The HD channels are disappearing one or two a week, every thursday, this gives Sky a chance to upgrade the HD boxes that have suddenly stopped clearing the channel, the Thompson one that doesn't take their new software. If you are a paying Sky customer and have a Thompson box you'll be missing about 10 channels and will be forced to upgrade, so watch what you have recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The topic at hand was discussed in detail last year for anyone interested. There is some good reading into the mechanics of it all.

There's more to satellite than Sky.... ;)

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »

i used yahoo search for free movies downloads, there are many to choose from, most have 2014 movies advailable, so one can download and play later or download and watch, the quality is quite good, sky movies are nothing to write home about, i stopped using them years ago, repeats of repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I don't use Sky UK or Sky IT, but I'd love if they blocked off all SD & HD channels. Every hacker involved in CS would be working together to break through the new encryption and all the effort of replacing boxes would be for nothing. I would be surprised if it lasted more than a couple of weeks.

IPTV is the future anyway.

There's more to satellite than Sky.... ;)

Of course there is, but I am guessing the Dreamboxs running Sky on card sharing is the reason for this move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Oat23 wrote: »
    I don't use Sky UK or Sky IT, but I'd love if they blocked off all SD & HD channels. Every hacker involved in CS would be working together to break through the new encryption and all the effort of replacing boxes would be for nothing. I would be surprised if it lasted more than a couple of weeks.

IPTV is the future anyway.

Plenty of the techniques currently being deployed in the UK have already been done succesfully in Australia and Europe. I am surprised it has taken Sky UK so long. The good thing is that HD extra costs will be a thing of the past when they replace the SD receivers, which is the next step, at considerable cost.

IPTV is already the new piracy without Control Words. CS started as an underground mechanism for bypassing multiroom costs. It should never have become the monster it is today.

Of course there is, but I am guessing the Dreamboxs running Sky on card sharing is the reason for this move.

But what you said was:

So, no, it won't be the "death-knell" for Dreamboxes and cardsharing because, as I said, there is much more to satellite than Sky ;)

You know what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

When the time comes to swap the SD boxes, I would say it will be done for free. Then sky can move over to dvbs2 for all transmissions on their platform.
    Once people have HD boxes the carrot will be there being dangled for them to subscribe to the HD pack, so I would say the HD pack is a long way away from being let go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

snaps wrote: »
    When the time comes to swap the SD boxes, I would say it will be done for free. Then sky can move over to dvbs2 for all transmissions on their platform.
    Once people have HD boxes the carrot will be there being dangled for them to subscribe to the HD pack, so I would say the HD pack is a long way away from being let go!

I disagree, I think sky will be rolling out Ultra HD (UHD) shortly and that will the be the sub to replace regular hd so regular HD would become standard

There is almost no UHD content and almost no-one has a set, also you need about 60" minimum only 2m away to appreciate it. They may do a channel as a gimmick.

It will be as damp as 3D (which is only Victorian Stereoscopic system and not 3D at all).

I wonder could we see the migration of Sky Sports/Box Office channels to the new encryption system after this Saturday's big boxing match - from Monday on they don't have much blockbuster sport so it could very well be the perfect time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement