Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did dinosaurs have lips?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

No idea what to think how many species were there? how many species today have lips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Rubecula wrote: »
    No idea what to think how many species were there? how many species today have lips?

Many mammals have lips to allow for suckling of the nipple during infant years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

But dinosaurs did not suckle...

The problem seems to be that modern dinosaur relatives (crocodiles) and descendants (birds) have no lips, but because they're both specialized (the crocodiles as aquatic predators with interlocking teeth to catch fish, and the birds with hard keratinous beaks or rhamphoteca), they don´t necessarily prove that dinosaurs lacked them as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Are there any major disadvantages to dinosaurs not having lips?

It might be harder to retain food / saliva in the oral cavity but don't see this as being a major problem.

I think dinosaurs are polyphyodonts so they could just regrow damaged teeth.

Glands in the lip are only minor and wouldn't play a major role I'd imagine.

Can't see any major advantage to dinosaurs having lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I think (not sure) but I think the idea is that lips would prevent dehydration and protect the dinosaur from self injury, like in Komodo dragons- we know they have lots of sharp serrated teeth but they're not very evident even when their mouth is open; there's lots of soft tissue surrounding and protecting the teeth.

sp2027-3c2d66f7.jpg

Raja-Ampats-famed-Komodo-Dragon.jpg

Same with snakes, like pythons, they actually have lots of sharp teeth but the lips and soft tissue in the mouth cover most of them:

wildlife09050.jpg

giantpython.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement