Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

I prefer Obama's renewable energy policies to Romney's. As a result I would vote for Obama.

A victory for Romney will result in even more destruction of the environment.

At the same time I am not a fan of Joe Biden at all, so I would have reservations about voting for the Democrats because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

I like Biden because of his 'gaffs'

Makes me smile when people actually think a statesman using the F word is a big deal

• Site Banned Posts: 25 get_even

Why not, and would Romney be?

obamas treasury secretary tim geithner was instrumental in saddling this country with the debts of banks and bondholders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone heard anything about romney secretly recieving 111 million from the auto industry bailout?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

anyone heard anything about romney secretly recieving 111 million from the auto industry bailout?

With a cricket ball?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This is not as close as people think. Obama has an 86% chance of victory. http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/ this guy called it to within a tenth of a percent for the last election.

Ba-Zinga!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

[-0-] wrote: »
    This is not as close as people think.

While Nate Silver is pretty much spot on, the "It's really close!" narrative is far more entertaining than the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just watching Fox News there a while ago, my god they really running with the fact that it will be closer then anyone thinks and the constant playing of Romney attacking Obama gets a bit old after about the fifth re-run in the hour.

Will it be any bit as close as 2000 I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just watching Fox News there a while ago, my god they really running with the fact that it will be closer then anyone thinks and the constant playing of Romney attacking Obama gets a bit old after about the fifth re-run in the hour.

Will it be any bit as close as 2000 I wonder?

If it is and Obama wins the electoral college win and the presidency, with Romney actually getting more votes overall, prepare yourself for an incredible amount of leftie hypocrisy when their guy benefits an antiquated form of election this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Scary thing about Obama getting back in is, he's got another 4 years to extend presidential powers under the NDAA - and with a Democrat in power, the Dems that would generally be out protesting such things will be largely silent. Can you imagine the furore if GW Bush had tried passing laws that allowed the indefinite detention of citizens because the President makes the call? There'd be uproar.

And then, with these powers in place, what happens when someone like Romney, Santorum or Bachmann gets the presidency in 4 years? At least if Romney wins this time around, the Democratic base will start to oppose the slide toward totalitarianism. It's hard to use that word without sounding over the top, but really that's where things are headed for the US.

I'm not a fan of either of them. I'd love to see the US electorate vote no-confidence in the two-party system and put someone like Gary Johnson in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If it is and Obama wins the electoral college win and the presidency, with Romney actually getting more votes overall, prepare yourself for an incredible amount of leftie hypocrisy when their guy benefits an antiquated form of election this time around.

I still find it kind of hilarious that the Democrat party is considered left-wing by some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Whilst I'm hoping for an Obama win, in a perverse way I'd like to see him lose the overall majority vote to Romney.

Hopefully it should result in some sort of meaningful debate on the weakness of the electoral college system and usher in some sort of proportional representation system. A break in the duopoly between Rep and Dem would be welcome but the flip-side is that the lunatic fringe gain in popularity and power. A fair price to pay IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

beans wrote: »
    Scary thing about Obama getting back in is, he's got another 4 years to extend presidential powers under the NDAA - and with a Democrat in power, the Dems that would generally be out protesting such things will be largely silent. Can you imagine the furore if GW Bush had tried passing laws that allowed the indefinite detention of citizens because the President makes the call? There'd be uproar.

And then, with these powers in place, what happens when someone like Romney, Santorum or Bachmann gets the presidency in 4 years? At least if Romney wins this time around, the Democratic base will start to oppose the slide toward totalitarianism. It's hard to use that word without sounding over the top, but really that's where things are headed for the US.

I'm not a fan of either of them. I'd love to see the US electorate vote no-confidence in the two-party system and put someone like Gary Johnson in.

If Obama gets another 4 years he'll have a successful economy by the end, Democrats will get in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

If Obama gets another 4 years he'll have a successful economy by the end, Democrats will get in again.

Agreed. Considering the severity of the situation, an economic turnaround was never going to happen overnight, let alone four years. Just a pity Obama lost some of that magic after being elected - not too many 'strength-inducing' speeches similar to his campaign. Anyhow, I'll gladly take Obama over Mitt anyday. Seems statistics on election are showing it to be especially close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I wonder who is the overall favoured candidate from an Irish point of view.... Obama, Romney which would be better for us?.. or would there be any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I wonder who is the overall favoured candidate from an Irish point of view.... Obama, Romney which would be better for us?.. or would there be any difference?

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/news/people_and_politics/96-percent-in-ireland-say-they-would-vote-for-obama-in-us-election---puzzled-americans-ask-why-do-irish-in-ireland-dislike-the-gop-so-much-175065651.html

96% :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Which one called us a "tax haven"?

Clue: It wasn't Romney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

dizzywizlw wrote: »

He has left it in a worse position than four years ago, and it will be worse again in another four years if he keeps on down the same road. If he keeps spending at this pace, I think there will be serious concerns about the debt levels, maybe even a full on debt crisis by the end of his 2nd term. He is living in some fiscal dream world right now, and will leave his successor with a right mess. The inevitable austerity will be much worse when the whole thing blows up than if he started thinking about it now....the debt clock needs to be slowed down. Yes, it is true that to repair the damage in four years is not possible, but he has accelerated it and his policies will continue this trajectory.

Obama apologists blame the deadlock in Congress, and the intransigence of the GOP for much of this. But it is the President's job to deal with this....its called POLITICS! Unfortunately Obama is not a dealmaker, but rather is one for the grand gestures and big speeches. If he had negotiated more effectively with the party that represents about half of the American people, then he might have got somewhere. But instead he appears takes the stance of most arrogant East coast liberals who believe that everyone who votes republican is stupid, and therefore do not deserve to have their views represented.

Its not much of a choice for the Americans to be fair.....they have to pick between a lunatic from a social and religious perspective, or a lunatic from an economic perspective.

But the last 4 years has not worked. It's time to try something else before it's too late.

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Read the comments from the Romney supporters under that article. Vicious and seriously twisted. Enough reason to vote Obama.

I wouldn't normally use IrishCentral as a source of anything but they're merely stating the results of a gallup poll so I thought it would be fine. :pac: There's at least one birther in that comment section...... Comment sections have an unfortunate tendency to draw out the dross in opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

pithater1 wrote: »
    Well the Skins lost at home...

Time to back Mitt?? ;)

I work for the US govt and 3 people i work with are now voting for Romney based on the Skins losing. Wonder how many people countrywide will do that if federal employees i know have said they'll do it.

And Romney sure talks a lot of s***.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

steve9859 wrote: »
    Obama apologists blame the deadlock in Congress, and the intransigence of the GOP for much of this. But it is the President's job to deal with this....its called POLITICS! Unfortunately Obama is not a dealmaker, but rather is one for the grand gestures and big speeches. If he had negotiated more effectively with the party that represents about half of the American people, then he might have got somewhere. But instead he appears takes the stance of most arrogant East coast liberals who believe that everyone who votes republican is stupid, and therefore do not deserve to have their views represented.

There was no negotiating possible given the climate created by the Tea Party and Republicans pandering to them over Obamacare.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    There was no negotiating possible given the climate created by the Tea Party and Republicans pandering to them over Obamacare.

This is actually beginning to worry me a lot. They're basically abusing congress to attack the other side. I can't really think of a time in US history where it has become this serious an issue.

K-9 wrote: »

And their response to modest tax increases for the rich: No No No No. As if their genius plan for a further 5 trillion of tax cuts would fix the deficit. Arithmetic not allusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

i think Obama has it sewn up i hope i am right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm afraid the Redskins have already settled this.

Both are so full of **** it's unbearable.

#Johnson2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Both Obama and Romney are two warmongering corporate Fascists. There was only one man in that race fit to be the President of the United States of America: Ron Paul. He's too principled for the White House though, he was incorruptible so they had to change the nomination process at the RNC to side-step him getting the nod over special interest scumbag, Mitt Romney. Ron Paul would eat Obama alive in a debate.

Is Obama or Romney talking about the real issues facing the world today? Of course not, this election is all smoke and mirrors, a circus, a puppet show, two Goldman Sachs candidates bought and paid for long ago.

Are they talking about....
    *Corporatism?
    *The Federal Reserve?
    *Fractional Reserve Banking?
    *Monetising Debt?
    *The Military Industrial Complex?
    *Drones killing innocent woman and children on a daily basis?
    *Education and Healthcare monopolies?
    *Government debt from over-spending?
    *Endless unconstitutional wars and overseas interventions?
    *Civil Liberties? lol, Obama signed the NDAA (which permits every American citizen to be thrown in prison indefinitely without trial). Romney agrees.
    *The Patriot Act?
    *The War on Drugs?

Are they talking about any of these crucial issues? Of course not, they're not interested in real issues. But Ron Paul is. And that's why he'll never be President, being the corrupt system we live in. Neither Obama or Romney are fit to govern. Forget about these clowns.

The last liberty candidate left in this race is Gary Johnson.

Johnson 2012!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I work for the US govt and 3 people i work with are now voting for Romney based on the Skins losing. Wonder how many people countrywide will do that if federal employees i know have said they'll do it.

OMG:( I knew federal employees weren't very sharp, but that is just pathetic.
    Maybe we should just flip a coin or draw straws? Or maybe an
    Elephant/ donkey race? Obama can poke the donkey with a stick and Mitt can get right up behind the elephant with his stick, we'll see which animal crosses the finish line first.
    Wonder how they chose a candidate to vote for before professional football?

• Advertisement

EZ24GET wrote: »

OMG:( I knew federal employees weren't very sharp, but that is just pathetic.
    Maybe we should just flip a coin or draw straws? Or maybe an
    Elephant/ donkey race? Obama can poke the donkey with a stick and Mitt can get right up behind the elephant with his stick, we'll see which animal crosses the finish line first.
    Wonder how they chose a candidate to vote for before professional football?

Maybe we could copy the Egyptian Copts: blindfold a child and get him to pick the name of the next President?

http://www.goddiscussion.com/103539/blindfolded-child-to-select-egypts-next-coptic-pope/[\URL]

Advertisement