Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tune in extra BBC Channels

• 09-07-2003 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

As the BBC is due to go free-to-air on the 10th (fingers-crossed), I thought it might be useful to have a handy thread for those newbies who will wish to add the free channels, but don't know how.

To add the BBC channels to your "Other Channels" option, do the following.

With your digibox turned on, press the "Services" button (near the top of the remote).

Select number 4 (System Setup), and then 4 again ("Add Channels").

In the appropriate fields enter the following (you move through the fields using the up and down arrow keys).

In the Frequency field enter: 10.773,

The next three fields are toggle fields, i.e. using the left and right arrows will change the value.

Toggle Polarisation to : H
    Toggle Symbol Rate to: 22000
    Toggle FEC to : 5/6

Then select the last button - Find Channels.

After a few seconds the channels should appear. The channels on this frequency should be - BBC One England, BBC Two England, BBC News 24, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC Three, BBC One Northern Ireland and BBC Radio Cymru.

Use the Yellow button to place a tick beside each one and press "Select". These channels will now be stored.

You can view them by pressing the "Services" button, then 6 ("Other Channels"), use the arrow keys to move to the channel you want and press "Select".

To view the channels below, repeat the procedure using the details provided.

10788 V SR 22000 FEC 5/6

BBC One West Midlands, BBC One North West, BBC One East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire, BBC One Yorkshire & North Midlands, BBC One East Midlands, BBC One East England.

10803 H SR 22000 FEC 5/6

BBC One Wales, BBC Two Wales, BBC One Scotland, BBC Two Scotland, BBC Two Northern Ireland, BBC Radio Five Live, BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2*, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4 FM*, BBC Radio 4 LW, BBC Radio Scotland FM, BBC Radio Wales FM, BBC Radio Ulster FM, BBC Asian Network, BBC World Service Europe, BBC Radio Five Live Sports Extra, BBC World Service Extra, BBC 1Xtra, BBC 6 Music, BBC 7, BBC Radio nan Gaidheal.

10818 V SR 22000 FEC 5/6

BBC One West England, BBC One South East, BBC One South England, BBC One South West, BBC One North East & Cumbria, BBC One Oxford.

10847 V SR 22000 FEC 5/6

BBC One Cambridge, BBC One Channel Islands, BBC Parliament.

12441 V SR 27500 FEC 2/3
    BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 4 FM

(On the 6th August, due to complaints from Europe, the BBC moved R2 and R4FM to a wide beam so it can be receieved by ex-pats)

****As rightly suggested by Sceptre, I'd just like to make people aware that sometimes when too many channels are stored in "Other Channels" they can mysteriously all disappear ! This seems to be a bug in Sky's software that they've never bothered to fix. Different people seem to recommend different numbers of Other Channels to store, but I've never had a problem with anything up to 30. If they are deleted, don't panic - you just have to go through the hassle of storing them again.

Happy viewing !!!

(Mod edit: added new BBC Radio 2 and 4 FM freq and New BBC Parliament freq.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

By the way Damo, maybe you could take the stickie off the "BBC FTA tests" thread, and make this a stickie instead.

I'd imagine people would find it handy to have the tuning info at the start of a thread.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

been looking for those frequencies for awhile now, all stored and ready for tomorrow, lets hope the BBC and sky keep there promises

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nice instruction set Charles. Kudos.

Might be worth tagging on a warning to the botom of the post about the danger of adding too many channels to the Other Channels (someone will add all of them)

Still encrypted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

In the Frequency field enter: 10.773,

ive tried all that still cant get channels

• Advertisement

Try it again now.

They're all available.

Wohoo !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Hi Charles, great piece, can I rob it and use it on my site, with credit of course?

Thanks

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    As the BBC is due to go free-to-air on the 10th (fingers-crossed), I thought it might be useful to have a handy thread for those newbies who will wish to add the free channels, but don't know how.

Happy viewing !!!

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    By the way Damo, maybe you could take the stickie off the "BBC FTA tests" thread, and make this a stickie instead.

I'd imagine people would find it handy to have the tuning info at the start of a thread.

Thanks.

It is done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Here's a link from the BBC Website with a few pictures which could go along with the great information provided by Charles.

Can't wait to get home at this stage!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_add_channels.shtml

Originally posted by Tony
    Hi Charles, great piece, can I rob it and use it on my site, with credit of course?

Thanks

Of course !! Share the information !! That's what it's all about here really, isn't it ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jez
    Here's a link from the BBC Website with a few pictures which could go along with the great information provided by Charles.

Can't wait to get home at this stage!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_add_channels.shtml

Great link thanks

From the 29th July, all* BBC national and regional variations will be available in the Sky EPG (a full list of channel numbers will be available on this site from the 29th)

will that include roi sky epg but if not if i removed my card would that bring it up on fta epg

Ray

sorry bout this can anyone tell me how to tune in bbc parliment

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

12129 V
    SR 27500
    FEC 2/3

FTA on this transponder:

BBC Parliament .. Also carries CSPAN and other non-Parliament programs
    S4C Digidol ... Good for rugby!
    S4C2 - The Information Channel (Tue-Thu 10-19)
    You TV (Thu 19-Tue 10 & Wed 19-10)
    Goldshield Vitality
    Create & Craft

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭eirman

The added channels are stored in the order you press the yellow button. Go through all the fequencies and select all the BBC1s
    Then do the same for the BBC2s then add the others (3+4 etc)

This will keep all your channels nicely grouped together

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I followed the instructions to tune the first bloc of channels. All the tick marks were displayed on the channels. Then I went to Services button, and opened Other Channels. There were none. ( I deleted all previous, unviewable, "Other Channel" listings on the second or third try.)

It seems that my new BBC channels are not being stored. Is there something I should do after ticking the channels? I just followed the Sticky instructions and went to Services.

I have not added a channel before, so am not sure of the procedure apart from the instructions given.

Please help, someone.

OK, I'm sorted! I followed Tony's link with the screenshots, and found I was missing a couple of "Select" presses. I had my TV set to "Cinema" display, which drops a bit of picture at top and bottom, so missed the "Now press Select" part.

Leaving this here as someone else might do the same! :-)

Actually somebody else found that link.

Originally posted by captainpat
    I
    OK, I'm sorted! I followed Tony's link with the screenshots, and found I was missing a couple of "Select" presses. I had my TV set to "Cinema" display, which drops a bit of picture at top and bottom, so missed the "Now press Select" part.

Leaving this here as someone else might do the same! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Anyone else having problems viewing BBC 3 & 4? They are just showing up as a blank screen like before they went FTA.

carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭parasite

well neither of them start till 7 or 8 in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BBC3 and BBC4 don't start until 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

/me slaps himself, doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Can channel 4 and itv be got on fta?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

No. ITV and Channel4 are not available FTA.

There are rumours that ITV will become FTA next year when their encryption contract runs out with Sky.

Nobody knows about Channel 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

ok cheers S O'C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Am I right in saying that when you take out your card, the BBCs appear but with all the other pay channels as well?

Originally posted by Cloud
    Am I right in saying that when you take out your card, the BBCs appear but with all the other pay channels as well?

If you put your card in upsidedown yes that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paddyponchero

Hi,

I just got a satellite package in Cork with an Emme Esse 2200 FTA receiver. http://www.emmeesse.it/ENG/e_ricsatD2.htm

I get a stong signal with excellent quality for the BBC transponder but when I do a transponder and network search I get no channels. I seem to be able to pick up all the other FTA channels. Any ideas?

A friend told me that BBC were in the process of changing transponders but that may be second-hand smoke.

One further thing anyone know where to get a good cheap PCI DVB card.

Thanks

PAddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    If you put your card in upsidedown yes that will happen.

With no card, what do you get?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cloud
    With no card, what do you get?

The box "remembers" the last card that was inserted so you get the regular Irish EPG.

Advertisement