Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Sports Bodies

Options
  • 11-09-2004 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

I figured if it confused me, it'd confuse most people, so I put together a small graphic to show the various shooting bodies in the Republic of Ireland who deal with sports shooting. It's probably not complete, it definitely doesn't cover Northern Ireland, and if anyone sees something's missing, let me know...

But at least it's a start!

AssociationsGraph.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's been a fair while, but here's the updated version:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75423&stc=1&d=1237687782

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

'kin hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i would think the nargc is the biggest body,

i have a issf number how many others do .

ireland is very much a grass roots country as far as shooting/hunting goes
    thats not a bad thing ,as long as the lads on the shooting bodies do there bit to look after our interests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

WTF:confused: would it not be easier to have one group as the top group? This way it would be a united front. But instead different groups will put distance between other groups that are in the spotlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solidchrome

dresden8 wrote: »
    'kin hell

Couldnt have said it better myself rofl.gif

Good info Sparks :)

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »
    i would think the nargc is the biggest body,
    Other than the IFA, yeah. 20,000 or so.
    But our subscription rate to clubs and associations is very low across our sport.
    i have a issf number how many others do .
    Can't have one, I'm an ISSF judge. Can't compete and judge at the same time, I'd have to give up the licence to get the number again.
    thats not a bad thing ,as long as the lads on the shooting bodies do there bit to look after our interests
    But it does a right number on communications :(

chem wrote: »
    WTF:confused: would it not be easier to have one group as the top group? This way it would be a united front. But instead different groups will put distance between other groups that are in the spotlights
    Doesn't work that way in practise. Unity only sounds good in rhetoric; in practise, the disciplines are so disparate that any one body trying to do everything would be nothing more than the current situation transposed onto committees and sub-committees in one enormous unwieldy monolithic body with far more vicious politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Sparks wrote: »
    Doesn't work that way in practise. Unity only sounds good in rhetoric; in practise, the disciplines are so disparate that any one body trying to do everything would be nothing more than the current situation transposed onto committees and sub-committees in one enormous unwieldy monolithic body with far more vicious politics.

I have to agree. Our lot over in airsoft were faced with a number of similar issues over the last two years. Our only saving grace was the youth of our pursuit - there simply wasnt long enough to develop the different aspects of the game to the point where they could be individually identified.

This gave us the option of lumping everything into the same corner and pointing the finger at genuine illigitimate actions. Shooting, my personal feeling aside (and I consider myself a beginner shooter), is stuck with the issue of many voices with many opinions and much overlap. Like it or not, you cant get away from it - attempting to do so inevitably results in the delegation of decision making to others in an attempt to "please everyone" - which any "all encompassing body" would have very little option except to do. This invests too much power in a small cabal of individuals answerable only to elected representatives, not those they are supposed to represent themselves!

I've seen first hand how sub committee's with influence and the power of decision can behave and believe me, it's devicive, egomaniacal and extremely petty. (I am not trying to undermine the efforts of certain useful sub-committee's that have done great work, merely expressing my own personal experiences outside of firearms as a whole).

Advertisement