Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi PC - Next Thursday

• 17-11-2005 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Aldi have a decent PC offer from next Thursday. As usual, no monitor is included, but a 17" TFT is available seperately. the details aren't on their website yet, but I saw this in a flyer thrown into the local paper yesterday.

Dual core pentium 4 (D830 i think, @ 3ghz)
    PCI-Express nvidia 6700XL 128mb - I've never actually heard of an nvidia 6700 before.
    250gig seagate SATA drive, 7200rpm
    dvd burner
    card reader
    usb2/firewire
    10/100 ethernet and 802.11g wlan
    DVB-T TV tuner
    Fancy vacuum fluorescent display thingy on the (BTX) case
    1GB 533mhz ddr2 ram
    8-channel audio
    Windows XP home

As I don't have the flyer in front of me at the moment, I don't have the exact specs but the above should be very close. Price was about 1200 euros if I recall corrrectly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Can't see anything on their website either ...Has anyone bought their LCD's before ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Actually, just found this article with full specs on google:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27712

The price the guy in the article (in Austria) mentions is €1099, so €1200 would be about right for here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will need a TV licence if you buy one

"The machine supports two DVB-T signals, two DVB-S signals and two Analogue TV or Cable TV signals. For all the people that like to watch a TV this really sounds like a nice deal."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thought you only needed a TV license if you have a tv...

ie. You could have a cable subscription in the house, but no need for a license if there is no actual TV

JohnCleary wrote:

ie. You could have a cable subscription in the house, but no need for a license if there is no actual TV

If there is a tuner in the house then you need a licence, a dumb monitor attached to a dvd needs no licence as it can not tune itself to receive a channel.

The Aldi PC has the tuner built in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Makes sense really.
    ... you learn something new everyday

On a lighter note, theres a damn hot girl sitting across from me :)

-Edit- By next Thursday, do you mean the 24th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If there is a tuner in the house then you need a licence, a dumb monitor attached to a dvd needs no licence as it can not tune itself to receive a channel.

The Aldi PC has the tuner built in.

Quite true

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

You could always remove the TV card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Aldi pc here the spec sheet is in German but eazy to follow
    a fancy flash video can be found here
    http://www.medion.de/flash/md8800/#
    and what about the 42" plazma they are flogging, how much will that be over here !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

JohnCleary wrote:

off main topic I know .. but if your house has an outlet for cable .. whether you subscribe or not you are required to have a license ... read this before ... I went WTF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

just to let you know, i've got the flyer infront of me and it say's €1099.99
    so im off to aldi next week to get 1 and monitor :)

I'm impressed, they normally hike the price here, due to our ridiculously high vat rate and to make a little extra profit... but this is the same price as it was in Austria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This Titanium MD 8800 Designer PC with high-gloss front design is the ultimate high performance PC, TV, audio, video, games, office and internet PC.

THE LATEST INTEL® DUAL CORE PROCESSOR ARCHITECTURE

* Intel® Pentium® Duel Core Processor 830
    * Featuring the latest PC Processor Technology: Dual Core. The new Intel® Pentium® D processor features 2 processing cores enabling your PC to think as fast as you can multitask
    * 3.0GHz, 2 x 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB
    * Future-proof technology for optimal performance
    * Extremely low noise due to new BTX form factor with optimised air stream, heat pipe cooler and quiet fan

1024MB MEMORY

* DDR2-533MHz SDRAM
    * 64 bit dual channel memory (1 bank free for upgrading)

250GB HARD DISK

* 8MB cache S-ATA 150 interface
    * Super fast 7,200rpm

3 x DUAL TV-TUNERS READY

* Watch a TV channel at the same time as recording another TV channel
    * 2 x DVB-S digital satellite reception (only functions with the appropriate aerial, not supplied)
    * 2 x DVB-T The digital everywhere TV (requires a DVB-T digital service in your area)
    * 2 x analogue TV/cable TV (stereo TV reception via the normal house and room antenna, or the existing cable connection)

NVIDIA® G-FORCETM 6700XL HIGH-END DVI/VGA GRAPHICS CARD

* TV Out connection via: SCART, S-Video, Composite or Component (YUV; YPrPb) High Definition
    * Super fast GDDR3 memory at 1100MHz
    * nVidia® G-ForceTM 6700XL graphics processor with 525MHz
    * 128MB PCI Express x16 bus concept

16 x DUAL LAYER, MULTI-STANDARD DVD/CD BURNER

16 x DVD-ROM

WLAN 54Mbit/s

* IEEE 802.11g 802.11b compatible
    * Wireless network access, the perfect solution to a cable-free network at home and in the office (assuming there is a WLAN Access Point at your location)

INTEGRATED 8-IN-1 USB 2.0 MEMORY CARD READER

* Integrated USB 2.0 Flash memory card reader, reads and writes most current flash memory cards (flash memory cards not included)

6 x USB 2.0 PORTS, 2 x FRONT, 4 x REAR

2 x FIREWIRE PORTS, 1 x FRONT, 1 x REAR

MODEM

* V.90 PCI Data Fax Modem

NETWORK CONTROLLER

* Fast Ethernet 10/100Mbit/s

8-CHANNEL INTEL® HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

WOW factor is high in this one, €1099 for the complete ready to go PC, take note Dell.....Everything you could possibly want in a pc is in there (cept a monitor :p ) But its a fantastic deal. Could do with another HD tho :eek:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Wtf is a 6700 :confused: , why have i never heard of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

looking at some german sites i found that it was released 31/8/05 and only OEM.

and for some reason they dont seem to like "BTX form factor"

Wtf is a 6700 :confused: , why have i never heard of this.

The last one had a ATI X740XL :confused: Again OEM uses the same drivers and performs between an X600 and X800. Has a stupid amount of tv ins and outs tho :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

w0rd, that sounds good. SHould i buy it ? will it run Half life 2 and battle feild 2

Placebo wrote:
    w0rd, that sounds good. SHould i buy it ? will it run Half life 2 and battle feild 2

It will run them on high quite easily, HL2 will look stunning and BF2 will be amazing as the ram and cpu will make the online part work better.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Anyone know if the TFT Monitor is a good deal?

Okay thanks alot KDJAC,
    so with all this tv in/out functions = would i be able to play my ps2 etc ? on it

• Advertisement

hmm i customized a dell, price is around 1,101 euro

not sure if link will work
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&oc=D11915&rbc=D11915&s=dhs&sbc=iedhsrsdimen_9150_3

Dimension 9150 (D11915)
    Intel® Pentium® 4 630 (3.0GHz, 800FSB, 2MB Cache)
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2 [Included in Price]
    1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (2x512) Memory
    160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
    16x max. DVD+/-RW Drive
    Dell E176FP 17" Midnight Grey (TCO99) Flat Panel Monitor
    256MB nVidia GeForce 6800 (DVI/VGA/TV-out)
    OR 256MB ATI Radeon® X600 HyperMemory graphics card [subtract € 139.15]
    Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ Sound Card
    Dell Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY) /Dell USB 2Button Wheel Mouse

so with 256MB ATI Radeon® X600 HyperMemory graphics card its €962 with the monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The TFT is 220 and has a 9ms response time. Not bad at all.

There's a big external HD for 150 too.

There's gonna be some big queues at Aldi next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Placebo wrote:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&oc=D11915&rbc=D11915&s=dhs&sbc=iedhsrsdimen_9150_3

Dimension 9150 (D11915)
    16x max. DVD+/-RW Drive
    Dell Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY) /Dell USB 2Button Wheel Mouse

so with 256MB ATI Radeon® X600 HyperMemory graphics card its €962 with the monitor

There is very little resemblence with this and the Aldi.....to start with it's not dual core...I could go on but I imagine it's pretty obvious to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Placebo wrote:

Dimension 9150 (D11915)
    16x max. DVD+/-RW Drive

Dimension 9150 (D11915)
    From € 1,964
    Now From
    € 1,905
    Includes VAT & Shipping

thats the cost of a dell as close to that spec. as possible.

that processor u picked isn't dual core and the hard drive is smaller.
    wireless keyboard and mouse are more expensive. dell also have a special offer of €150 off the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 gireland

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_477.html

here ya go... it's all up there... 1099...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27712

will lidl be brining out a pc ?

i'd say lidl will bring one out soon. the last one they did bring out was not a high spec one i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i thought they'd take out the dvb-t as there's no use for it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

ghost26ie wrote:
    i'd say lidl will bring one out soon. the last one they did bring out was not a high spec one i think.
    no sign of lidl's new PC on the German site, current items or next week,..who knows when we'll see it.

• Advertisement

its on targa's german site. they provide lidl with their p.c.'s

http://www.targa.de/index.jsp?SID=0&NAV=236&DOC=&PAGE=&PCAT=2&PROD=&PTUBE=&PARAMS=&PARAMS2=&SPCAREA=undefined

don't know how long it will take to get here

You can use the dvb-t to pick up freeview if you live around the border I think... Anyways, it will also pick up analogue tv too.

parasite wrote:
    i thought they'd take out the dvb-t as there's no use for it here

It should work where the RTE DVB-T test broadcasts off 3 Rock in the Dublin mountains can be picked up or along the border where the signal comes from the North (Freeview)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I seem to remember from previous aldi-related threads that its possible to order up if all the shop stock is cleared. Is this still the case and if so, do they take full payment in advance/a deposit? How long is the lead in from order to supply?

Looks like I will not be able to call in on thurs until later in the day.
    2 x DVB-S digital satellite reception
    ]
    Is this integrated or seperate cards and theres two of them? Anyone have any idea what make/model of card they are?

You can go now and pay for it and it will be there for you either Thursday or over the weekend.

I would imagine the tv cards are Philips 1734 and its bigger brother for the DVB.
    In hardware manager it will show as Medion but with a PCI identifier or using the registry it will show as a Philips.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

plenty of details here: http://www.discountfan.de/gratis/download/pdf/Testbericht-Aldi-PC-Titanium-MD-8800-vom-16-November-2005.html (german)
    TV-Tuner-Karte
    Medion SAA7131 (Creatix) Hybrid Capture Karte
    Hybrid Tuner-Karte mit DVB-S, DVB-T- und Analog-Funktion und jeweils 2 Tunern

• Advertisement

so if i pay now, can i come in late to collect it on thursday ? or is it First come first serve ?
    BEST place/branch to get it ? what time does it open? what time do ppl start queuing?

Placebo wrote:
    so if i pay now, can i come in late to collect it on thursday ? or is it First come first serve ?
    BEST place/branch to get it ? what time does it open? what time do ppl start queuing?

LOl i made d22ontour get to the store @ 7am it opened at 9 and they were a few left the following sunday. But dont take the chance go with a mate (a big one as you will have cash).

Drop into any Aldi near and say you work as a nurse or somfin and cant get time off hand him money get the receipt and pick it up at lunchtime.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

KdjaC wrote:
    Drop into any Aldi near and say you work as a nurse or somfin and cant get time off hand him money get the receipt and pick it up at lunchtime.

kdjac

Im telling you Kdjac you are full of surprises.A word of warning(Placebo), if a power washer is near or at front when you go in,tell those voices in head "You dont want one".:D

Okay thanks guys, im taking day off work, so queue for 7 i guess ?
    can pay with laser or c'card if they take em !
    Do you have to go and take one yourself and bring it up to the counter i take it ?

People advise against going to the blanch branch..only one closest to me . ne Other ?

thankS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

they will take laser. you will have to go up to a line in the store usually at the entrance to the stock room where you will be handed a pc and u then bring it to the cash register. if you also need a lcd, bring a mate..i imagine they will fly off the shelves as well.

this is howits done in parnell anyway

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

With great deals like this, always selling like hotcakes, I'm suprised Lidl/Aldi don't sell PCs all year round.

They would give dixons/pc world/currrys etc. a run for their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,799 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KdjaC wrote:
    Drop into any Aldi near and say you work as a nurse or somfin and cant get time off hand him money get the receipt and pick it up at lunchtime

Clevah :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

more details at http://www.medion.co.uk/ - click on 8800 on the left there :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Now let me think
    More then 20 people in a Q each with over a grand in cash on them..... :eek:
    Easier then a bank, no security.....Wonder can I get time off work? ;)

Use Laser much safer and easier. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shaneos

I bought one of the aldi computers that aldi had last time (on St. Patrick's day). I think that it was a good bargain and a great multi-media computer - I use it as a video recorder, music centre, dvd player etc. A good software package came with it last time too.

I queued up from 8.30 in Parnell street - and was fourth in line. Last time most of those queuing wanted the accessories (scanner, screen etc) and not the computer, and all those there at 9 got what they wanted.

If you are researching the computer on the web beware of those giving poor review. A lot of non-technical people think that the computer is a load of crap because they can't figure which way is up on a plug or how to update a driver. There is a good uk forum supporting medion computers for those of us less-technologically challenged.

Details on the last computer below for comparison (not this week's one!):

The new ALDI-PC MEDION Titanium MD8386 with Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 and HT Technology

€ 1099.99

High performance 3.2GHz-2MB L2 Cache-800 MHz FSB
    64 bit Technology
    XL-HARD DISC CAPACITY
    Enormous 320 GB
    Hard disc capacity
    XL-MEMORY
    XL-HIGH-END GRAPHICS
    ATI RADEON X740 XL
    XL-BURNER
    XL-PACKAGE
    DVB-T Digital TV TUNER
    Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card
    Bluetooth
    WLAN 54 MBit/s
    9 in 1 Memory Card Reader
    6x USB 2.0 2x front, 4x rear
    2x FireWire IEEE 1394, 1x front, 1x rear
    8-channel Intel® High Definition Audio
    LAN Network Controller
    56K V.9x PCI Data/Fax modem
    SOFTWARE XL
    Microsoft Works Suite 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

parasite wrote:
    more details at http://www.medion.co.uk/ - click on 8800 on the left there :v:

Why is this computer not running Windows Media centre edition operating system. Dell seems to have it installed on most of their Home PCs.
    And what are the advantages of Windows Media centre edition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Media Center 2005 is XP Pro with Media Center applications running on top of it.You can use it as normal XP Pro (though I think it does not have the ability to support multiple concurrent logins, not sure on this though) and then launch MCE whenever you want.

You generally have a medica center pc in the living room and use it as a PVR for TV, and a server for all your music and photos. It kicks a whole lotta ass.

You'd think this PC is an ideal candidate for media center as it should be quiet and has loads tv tuners and should be quiet cos of the heatpipe, though obviously its not a htpc case which people often use to make it fit in in the living room. MCE 2005 is 130 european monetary units from komplett.ie but its oem so you need to buy hardware with it (the MCE remote counts and is 30 quid and essential).

The future trend will see people using PCs (and this one is perfect) as a media center server in the PC room, and then stream its media to other points in the house via the Xbox 360, which can act like an extender over wireless or wired networks. I've never been a fan of any technology as much as I am of Media Center - I love it and that aint no joke.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Placebo wrote:
    Okay thanks guys, im taking day off work, so queue for 7 i guess ?
    can pay with laser or c'card if they take em !
    Do you have to go and take one yourself and bring it up to the counter i take it ?

People advise against going to the blanch branch..only one closest to me . ne Other ?

thankS

Are they the same as Lidl in that they do not take credit cards?
    Want to get a couple of the external hard drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

bucks73 wrote:
    Are they the same as Lidl in that they do not take credit cards?

yes cash or laser card only

• Advertisement
Advertisement