Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola E770v, Bluetooth and OS X

Options
  • 29-11-2005 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I know these sort of threads probably get posted all the time but I've tried everything and there seems to be little documentation for this phone online.
    13089_MotImage.jpg
    I recently got a new Motorola E770v on Vodafone, and I want to be able to send files from my computer to it via Bluetooth.
    I'm using Mac OS X 10.4 and I can see the computer on my phone, and successfully send files from my phone to the computer, however not the other way around.

(Edit: Just to add I'm using the latest OS, Bluetooth software and an iMac with built in Bluetooth, though I can use an iBook with a USB bluetooth adapter if that makes a difference to the solution, because the same happens with the iBooks ATM)

With Bluetooth turned on (or in 'Find Me'), it doesn't appear on the lists of devices on the computer, even though I did bond the two successfully with 'Setup a new Device'.
    I can see the phone in the list of recent devices, however it seems impossible to connect the two, and I cannot send a file from the computer to the phone, it just fails.

I've tried uploading pictures I want on my phone to the internet and browsing them on the phone, but I don't seem to be able to view them even when I put the URL in. At this point I'm getting worried that Vodafone are preventing me from using my own pictures on my phone in order to sell me their overpriced crap - (I've heard of one of the US Networks restricting Bluetooth on their phones, and this phone seems to be heavily Vodafone branded)

If someone could help me with getting the E770v and Computer to make a proper connection and be able to send files Computer -> Phone I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks

(Incase anyones wondering, the phone is brilliant otherwise so far, and the price was great at €149 RTG with €10 credit/month for 10 months!)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'm having similar issues on a Mac Mini running 10.4.3 - they bond alright but thats about as far as it goes. My K700i had similar issues but they resolved themselves after a few phone reboots but ain't much happening with this guy.

My next step will be to try it on a PC and see if that makes any difference.

Nice phone alright (video calling is interesting) especially when I paid €99 RTG with €100 credit ;-)

I've tried this on an XP laptop and I can happily shift files to/from the phone so it would seem to be OS X related. Which is a darn site better than having a crippled implementation of bluetooth a la Cingular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

parsi wrote:
    I've tried this on an XP laptop and I can happily shift files to/from the phone so it would seem to be OS X related. Which is a darn site better than having a crippled implementation of bluetooth a la Cingular.
    Damn, I don't have access to any Windows PC with Bluetooth… I've cross-posted this topic to the Mac forum though and hopefully someone can find a workaround:confused:

Hopefully someone will. Thing is - its a new phone so we might be waiting. However the USB cable works fine for viewing the card on Os X and its a normal type cable..so it might be an option is you're trying to drop files/apps - no good if its the phone data though.

parsi wrote:
    Hopefully someone will. Thing is - its a new phone so we might be waiting. However the USB cable works fine for viewing the card on Os X and its a normal type cable..so it might be an option is you're trying to drop files/apps - no good if its the phone data though.
    The USB cable isn't a regular mini-USB one, I don't think and I haven't been able to find one for this phone anywhere online. You can choose on the phone to access the card data, or the phone data over USB.

EDIT: I was wrong, it IS a standard mini-a USB cable, and you can't access the phone data, but you can switch between a Data connection (What?) and Memory Card.
    I think I may have to invest in a larger MicroSD/Transflash now!

• Advertisement

The USB cable is the same as is used for a Blackberry, a Canon A85, a PSP so its a bog standard cable and will even charge the phone - I use the same cable for all these devices ! You can access the card data without the Motorola software (it shows as a drive letter or mounted drive) without the software.

Its a mini-a on the plug end -->

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7562765560&category=8301

parsi wrote:
    The USB cable is the same as is used for a Blackberry, a Canon A85, a PSP so its a bog standard cable and will even charge the phone - I use the same cable for all these devices ! You can access the card data without the Motorola software (it shows as a drive letter or mounted drive) without the software.

Its a mini-a on the plug end -->

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7562765560&category=8301

Thanks, this is awesome, it'd just be a luxury to have the Bluetooth working now :D

www.getjar.com have a Motorola DEBrander software which doesn't work on the 770 yet but it might be an idea to add your voice to those clamouring for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chambaofan

hey all - happy to find this forum and this thread :D - can someone clarify for me exactly what i need to connect my e770v with my mac ibook (os x 10.4.5.)? The bluetooth isn't working (device error of some sort - basically the same error that everyone else receives) so I'm willing to go the cable route in order to download/upload photos, ringtones, etc. I see the cable sold on the motorola website but it doesn't say that it's mac compatible. Can someone offer some recommended products that work? I checked out the ebay link someone referred to but I didn't understand the language it was in :(

Thanks!!!!

Advertisement