Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The News/Media awards 2005: Nominations (closed)

Options
  • 21-12-2005 10:58pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In a similar (but smaller) vein to other ongoing awards here at boards.ie I feel there should be a boards.ie News/Media awards 2005.

If all goes well with this, maybe next year could be a bigger deal with more categories, a more elaborate nomination system and possibly even a seperate forum, but let's keep it simple for now.

What I'm looking for are some nominations for the following award categories, any amount of nominations can go into each award category but that might change depending on the responce.

So here are the awards and a quick description just incase it isn't too clear:

Best Newspaper:
    This can be a national or regional paper, it doesn't really matter (although nationals stand a better chance of getting more votes as they have more readers). It can also be a daily or weekly newspaper and can follow any format or demographic. Weekly publications like Village or Phoenix can not be included... see next category.

Best Current Affairs Magazine:
    There aren't a hell of a lot of news heavy Irish magazines, so the rules will be somewhat flexible. The Dubliner could be considered a current affairs magazine for example.

Best International News/Current Affairs Website:
    It can be an off-shoot of an existing news outlet or something that is online only, nominations should be made based on design, navigation and content but with a focus on quality of work over everything else. Blogs are excluded, see next category.

Best News/Media Blog:
    Can be a blog about politics, current affairs or about traditional media, it doesn't really matter.

Best Scoop:
    The best story to be uncovered by an outlet/reporter during the last year. Can be for a newspaper article, TV show or even blog entry.

Best Factual TV Programme (Ireland & UK):
    This would focus on a perticular edition rather than a series of shows, so it wouldn't go to Prime Time Investigates or Panorama but instead an episode of them.
    It also includes the UK and would cover the standard channels available; RTE 1 & 2, TG4, TV3, BBC 1 & 2, UTV, C4, Sky 1.

Original Achievement in Media 2005:
    This would cover a media outlet that has broken the mould in some respect. It will recognise a station/magazine/blog/website/paper that is doing something new, fresh and original. They could be creating something totally new, or they could just be giving an old trick some new life. Either way, if they've push the boundries or changed the dynamic of the Irish media, they can be nominated.

So post below with your nominations for the categories, make sure you make it clear which category you're referring to, and don't feel obliged to nominate for each category either, even 1 suggestion for 1 award is good enough.
    If you have any questions about the nominations, awards or categories, or would like to suggest a change, post here also.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Best Newspaper:
    The Irish Times

Don't read a lot of magazines, except when flying so I'll go with Newsweek.

Best News/Current Affairs Website:
    Definetly http://news.bbc.co.uk/ - brilliant.

Best News/Media Blog:
    no vote on this one.

Best Scoop:
    ditto - requires too much thinking.

Prime Time Investigates - some excellent programs - especially on the car dealers.

Alternative Media of the Year 2005:
    Not quite sure what is meant for this category - but I think Newstalk deserves a mention. A lot of interesting stuff going on on the station over the year - from Kidstalk, to Muppet of The Week, to Dublin Stereotypes. The really do look beyond just giving the news. Great station, great asset to the community.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

That's a good point about the last category, let me go into more detail (and change the idea slightly too).
    I'm looking for nominations for the award based on alternative uses of the media. This could be a traditional media doing something new and different, or a completely new take on media (like podcasts are). It could be a station like Newstalk bringing something different to the table, they don't have to re-invent radio, just rethink it and make it something fresh again, if you know what I mean?
    If you do make a nomination for the award, please point out what you like about that outlet and why that makes them alternative.

Hope that helps (and Newstalk is a perfectly fine suggestion)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Best Newspaper:
    Daily: The Irish Times
    Sunday: Sunday Business Post

The Village

BBC

Best News/Media Blog:
    Slugger O'Toole

Best Scoop:
    The CIA Torture flights

Cannot access any of the Irish channels here so I will go for Death in Gaza on C4 (not sure if it was made earlier)

Not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

there seems to be a mix of Irish and UK entries here, and rightly so due to the "spillover" of media and topics.
    I'll give my Irish first and UK/World in brackets

Best Newspaper:
    Daily: Irish Times - but special mention has to go to the Indo for it's new format launched in Feb. The IT better wake up and "do a Guardian" and bring in a more compact (Berliner) version.

The Village

BBC News Online

Best News/Media Blog:
    Don't read blogs...

Best Scoop:
    Ireland: Eddie Hobbs. From Rip Off Republic - grocery ban... all the way through to the Village article and dirt trying to be put on him.
    Undoubtedly the media story of the year.

Rip Off Republic

Newstalk 106 - recorded an excellent year.
    Special mention to Metro Freesheet entering market

More possible titles/winners:

Best reporting in a major story
    Charlie Bird in Tsuanami Hit areas of Sri Lanka

Biggest blunder in reporting:
    Winner hands down... The Sunday Indo and it's "Lawlor died in red-light distrit with teenage prostitute" headline.

Just to clarify, I'd prefer if all entries were Irish excluding the website category (which I think is fair to be international), and the TV category with is Ireland and the UK.
    Another point on that category, the award is for a perticular edition of a show rather than the show in general.
    I've changed the category name to Original Achievement in Media 2005 to reflect this, and nominations like Newstalk and the Metro are certainly perfect suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

flogen wrote:
    Just to clarify, I'd prefer if all entries were Irish excluding the website category

Media has stopped being colloquial for a long long time.

Sorry, but what do you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Parochial, maybe?

Well, if you mean Parochial damien, then I'd have to disagree. We may have access to international media every day, but we still have our own Irish media too.
    I would have twice as many awards, with Irish and International versions but at present this whole thing is going to be very small scale, maybe next time. With that in mind isn't it better to celebrate Irish media first as it is more relevent to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Yes, parochial. I blame all the wine in the wine gums I had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

My choices are due to my available intake here in Ireland (in shops like the Guardian, or online), feel free to discount any non-nationals if you wish…

Best Newspaper:
    Daily: The Guardian [Daily (Irish): The Irish Times]
    Sunday: The Sunday Business Post

Village

Guardian Unlimited

Best News/Media Blog:
    (not sure if you’re limiting it to mainstream news, but this is the Irish blog I’ve been reading most…)
    Piaras Kelly PR: Public Relations from an Irish perspective
    http://pkellypr.com/

Best Scoop:
    CIA camps in Europe (the Washington Post)

Prime Time Investigates

The Guardian’s change to Berliner

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What are your nominations in the categories listed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Best Newspaper:
    Irish Times

Magill - just because an ex of mine is a senior writer on it.

www.news.bbc.co.uk

Best News/Media Blog:
    Do not know if this counts, is postumous. Ivan Noble who wrote a brain tumor diary for several years.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2281811.stm

Best Scoop:
    No vote on this.

Not sure if this counts but "Jamie's School Dinners", the episode where he describes turkey twizzlers to the children.

Metro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

My thruppence worth.....

Best Newspaper:
    Irish: Irish Indo, can't be beaten for news coverage and sport and the new format's ace, the Times has really suffered at the hands of Madam K imho and isn't a patch on what it was during Brady's tenure. Although the Times Monday Sport supplement is brill.
    British: Guardian - it's new Berliner format is a triumph and the breadth of opinion is good too. Can sometimes be grating with too much liberal bias but overall top class.
    Sunday: Sunday Times

Phoenix - accept no substitutes.

GuardianUnlimited.co.uk

Best News/Media Blog:
    Don't follow these so no opinion

Best Scoop:
    Kate Moss takes drugs shock! Absolutely class scoop which changed the news agenda.

Rip-Off Republic - as above, changed the news agenda.

Sorry to sound repetitive, but GuardianUnlimited.co.uk for their Ricky Gervais weekly podcast - the first episode resulted in more than 120,000 downloads.

NB: Although I am a journo, I declare that I have abosolutely no connection with any of my nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Best Newspaper:
    Irish Independant, but to be fair The Guardian would always take priority on my list.

Newsweek - for always keeping me entertained

GuardianUnlimited

Best News/Media Blog:
    www.indymedia.ie - if you want grassroots on the ground emotional, biased and passionate writing..

Best Scoop:
    Kate Moss - we all knew but to get those sort of pictures..

The Power of Nightmares - Contraversial, maybe, 100% accurate, doubtful. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3755686.stm

"Berliner" editions. - They are just fantastic, now I'm willing to buy a paper for a bus.

Ok, I've decided to allow international nominations for the Newspaper, magazine and blog categories (although most seem to be UK based, but that was bound to happen).
    Any suggestions that have already been made before will be included in the final nominations.

I would also like to draw your attention to the biki page for the awards. It features a list of each nomination made so far for each category, which should help people make sense of what has and hasn't been covered yet. I also tidied up each category description there so it might be good for people to read who aren't sure what to vote for.
    If anyone wishes to add to the page (for example the links that I haven't found yet), please feel free.
    I will do my best to update it as more nominations are made and when the actual voting begins.

Update: Nominations will close at 12 midnight on the 1st of February, with voting beginning straight after. Voting will be open for around 2-3 weeks and winners will then be announced.

I should probably put forward my own nominations!

Best Newspaper:
    The Irish Times
    The Guardian

Magill
    Village
    Time

BBC News
    Breakingnews.ie (just to have an Irish entry!)

Best News/Media Blog:
    Slugger O'Toole
    Piaras Kelly PR

Best Scoop:
    CIA torture flights
    Irish Ferries Scandal
    Lea Cross Nursing Home Scandal (Here)

Prime Time Investigates: Home Truths (above)
    Prime Time Prostitution industry (here)

Metro Ireland launch
    Guardian re-size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gemsbok15

Best Newspaper:
    Daily: Daily (Irish): The Irish Examiner/Star/Herald
    Sunday: The Sunday Tribune

Village
    Phoenix

ireland.com

Best News/Media Blog:

Best Scoop:
    Rendition Flights at Shannon

Prime Time Investigates
    The Big Bite
    Week in Politics

Late Night Talk Show on 98FM
    Hidden Dublin on City Edition Newstalk

The Nominations are now closed; you can view all the nominations on the relevant Biki page and voting will begin later today/early tomorrow.

(Gemsbok15, I'm not going to put Late Night Talk Show on 98FM in because I don't think Late night talk shows are original by any stretch of the imagination. If there's something about that show that I've missed feel free to let me know and I'll throw it in as soon as I can.)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement