Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Road Signage Pictures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Knew I'd find it. Here you go. It's on the road from Bandon to Clonakilty in West Cork.
    MadSign.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ah, the upside-downers; don't you just love them. There's an upside down Y-junction sign (roads not of equal importance) near me somewhere. If I remember where it is I'll take a pic. Obviously the lads came out from the depot with the wrong sign - it showed the minor road joining from the wrong side, so they decided to turn it upside down, on the basis that it's close enough!
    Here's a similar example from Donabate village in Dublin. The road of greater importance goes straight ahead and then veers to the right. A minor road intersects on the left at 90 degrees to the straight part. But the sign would seem to indicate otherwise.

DonabateSign.jpg

More signage, for the same junction as above, uses mandatory and warning signs and looks contradictory and fussy.

WarningMandatorySigns.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Theres a ton of traffic light signs in Cork that are upside down. The green is on top with the red at the bottom. They havent slipped either, because they're bolted on.

I'll get pics next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Theres a ton of traffic light signs in Cork that are upside down. The green is on top with the red at the bottom. They havent slipped either, because they're bolted on.

I'll get pics next time.

At least they got the actual traffic lights the right way up! :)

Not exactly :D

There was one in Ballyvolane the other day that had the entire red light fitment hanging out and pointing at the ground, still working :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Here's a similar example from Donabate village in Dublin. The road of greater importance goes straight ahead and then veers to the right. A minor road intersects on the left at 90 degrees to the straight part. But the sign would seem to indicate otherwise.

DonabateSign.jpg

More signage, for the same junction as above, uses mandatory and warning signs and looks contradictory and fussy.

WarningMandatorySigns.jpg
    Christ on a bike and some people still feel we have adequate signage. The warning sign for the right hand curve should be well back from the hazard but that looks like an urban setting, so no real need for the warning sign at all IMO as traffic should not be moving at speed. As a side note, is the hump bridge after the junction in the fist pic? Donabate you say, well as a Fingal resident I can say with confidence that they are easily one of the most incompetent authorities wrt signage, certainly in the greater Dublin region.

murphaph wrote:
    As a side note, is the hump bridge after the junction in the fist pic?
    There is a humpbacked bridge about 100 metres after that sign but I think the sign actually refers to a series of speed ramps which are on the minor road to the left. There is a white plate below the sign which was not in the pic and I forget what it said.

(I'll check it out).

Interesting, as the signs are supposed to be in the same order (from the top down) as the hazards to be encountered by the road user. This is often messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Why don't we put this information to good use and email the locations and pictures of the offending signs to the relevant department in the LA - then we can see what improvement (if any) is made. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Yesterday I was heading south on the N8. As you leave Urlingford there is a climbing lane.
    The sign says Climbing Lane ahead 300 meters. Further up the hill it informs you of the end of the climbing lane, again the American spelling is used.

Jeez, you'd really have to go out of your way to get an American (mis)spelling.
    I'd love to have stopped to see who made the sign.

Aside, I'm still waiting for a reply from NRA CEO about the "It's not our job to review signs" comment by Rennicks.

• Advertisement

More helpful signage courtesy of Fingal County Council. :rolleyes:

A STOP sign, a NO RIGHT TURN sign and a YIELD symbol on the road, all together at the an approach to a ROUNDABOUT north of Swords.

BatterLaneSignage.jpg

......and no compulsory 'turn left' sign above the chevron. So a motorist could legally TURN RIGHT and proceed the wrong way around the roundabout. Remember, it's that little white on blue arrow that makes a roundabout, a roundabout! As for contacting LA's about their failures-some (like SDCC) will acknowledge they messed up and will commit to rectifying the situation. Fingal will ignore you until you give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

murphaph wrote:
    ......and no compulsory 'turn left' sign above the chevron.

Looks like it's fallen off (note the pole sticking up from the chevrons). Hence the barmy temporary no-right-turn sign (instead of replacing the missing turn left sign).

Are Stops allowed at entrances to roundabouts (e.g. if sight lines are bad - though I assume they shouldn't be) if the road markings were correct?

The stop sign (and probably NRT sign) likely predate the obviously new built roundabout. You can see the approach road doesn't quite 'line up' right with the roundabout entrance. I doubt the compulsory sign fell off-more likely it was never installed at all. Even worse.

Zoney wrote:
    Are Stops allowed at entrances to roundabouts (e.g. if sight lines are bad - though I assume they shouldn't be) if the road markings were correct?
    No, it's always YIELD signs (unless the roundabout is signal controlled).
    murphaph wrote:
    The stop sign (and probably NRT sign) likely predate the obviously new built roundabout
    Yes, but the roundabout is on the R132, which was once a National Primary Route and has been there for a least 6 months, if not more. I think they should have rectified it when it opened.

I'm not sure if the NRT sign was placed during construction works or before that. Making a right turn there used to be very difficult and dangerous.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

One thing that strikes me is that a lot of road seems to have very slim and short markings eg dashed white line etc. The road in from Midleton is like this. I see that the UK standards on such a road are a 3m mark with a width of 150mm - they look a lot slimmer.

murphaph wrote:
    ......and no compulsory 'turn left' sign above the chevron
    Zoney wrote:
    Looks like it's fallen off (note the pole sticking up from the chevrons)
    Spot on Zoney! I passed it tonight and it is lying on the grass behind the chevron sign.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I just spotted this in Pics of apt, rare, funny number plates taken in Ireland if possible

bmw650.jpg

WHy are the words "Bus Stop" written for the benefit of traffic on the other side of the road?

kbannon wrote:
    WHy are the words "Bus Stop" written for the benefit of traffic on the other side of the road?
    Occasionally they write it both ways (i.e. one on each end of the stop). Presumably it's for the benefit of drivers who intend to park there from the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote:
    They should also be at the other end of the bus stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

DonabateSign.jpg
    More helpful signage courtesy of Fingal County Council.

A STOP sign, a NO RIGHT TURN sign and a YIELD symbol on the road, all together at the an approach to a ROUNDABOUT north of Swords.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...aneSignage.jpg
    I reported both of these to Fingal's Transportation Department. My email (with links to the photos, not this thread), were forwarded to Mary McPhillips, Senior Staff Officer, Transportation Department who is forwarding them to a Traffic Engineer "for examination"

daymobrew wrote:
    I reported both of these to Fingal's Transportation Department. My email (with links to the photos, not this thread), were forwarded to Mary McPhillips, Senior Staff Officer, Transportation Department who is forwarding them to a Traffic Engineer "for examination"
    Fair play, thanks! :)

Occasionally they write it both ways (i.e. one on each end of the stop). Presumably it's for the benefit of drivers who intend to park there from the opposite direction.
    Victor wrote:
    They should also be at the other end of the bus stop.
    The alignment of the text is totally wrong for oncoming traffic though. It should be designed to be visible to drivers before they enter the bus stop, not when they well into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry, clearer explanation.

I understand that Victor - the one in the pic I posted isn't that way though. It appears to have one 'bus stop' text block and its facing away from that lane's traffic

I'll get pics next time.

As promised -

IMG_5851.jpg

It hasn't been swiveled around either, the sign is bolted to the pole as normal.

Also any opinions on this gantry style? I've only ever seen it on the N18 outside Shannon. Would be interested in seeing what people think of it. Good/bad/indifferent? I dont think its in the TSM at all.

IMG_5852.jpg

It is in the TSM though not as a gantry style! It's got standard features like a link line. Personally I think it's quite clear and that's the main thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yep, that's a "Get in Lane" sign that Clare County Council decided would make a good gantry. Actually it works quite well and is defintely better than a dodgey gantry.

If you want to gantries the way they *should* look, the Long Mile Road/Naas Road (R110) area inside the M50 has one-or-two almost perfectly TSM compliant gantries. Essentially they should be billingual versions of the UK style. Ironic that these nearly perfect gantries are on an R-road!

icdg wrote:
    Yep, that's a "Get in Lane" sign that Clare County Council decided would make a good gantry. Actually it works quite well and is defintely better than a dodgey gantry.

If you want to gantries the way they *should* look, the Long Mile Road/Naas Road (R110) area inside the M50 has one-or-two almost perfectly TSM compliant gantries. Essentially they should be billingual versions of the UK style. Ironic that these nearly perfect gantries are on an R-road!
    I took a picture of that and posted it on SABRE as the nearest example of a TSM compliant gantry we have. It's buried in the ROI->other roads album IIRC.

Speaking of the R110. What a silly road. It is signed and OS mapped as taking 2 different routes from that junction! both along the Naas Road and the Long Mile Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

I took this in Clifden. Wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

Straight ahead only.
    Right turn only.
    Direction signs sending you left.
    Tourism / B&B signs sending you in all kinds of directions.

P1100256.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement