Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How far do you cycle?

• 19-03-2006 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Just curious to know how far people cycle on an average day? And do you cycle less now than in the summer months? I can't face leaving the house in this weather, especially where i live as i face gale force winds every day, there's nothing worse. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah the wind is ****ing horrible, when in college i'd be cycling about 9km per day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

10k each day in commutes (most weather-not in extreme conditions storm, fog,) But I carry the nesessary kit each day. Its nice when you know the day is going to be good enough to leave most of it at home.

60 - 70k once at the weekend depending on how much time I have (2-2.5hours on the round).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

18 miles a day (28.8km).
    If the weather is really bad I'll take the train and jog 2.5miles to the office. I shower at either end.
    Yes, the wind recently (and for the next week or so) has been horrible. I travel in a East-West direction so tend to have the wind behind me in one direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

16km a day commuting. Proabably around 120km a week depending really. Sometimes a good bit less. Wind in general is horrible, especially crosswinds on an icy road. A tailwind is deadly though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Used to commute 60km a week or so, but now that I'm 15 mins walk from where I need to be I only put in about 20km a week on average in leisure cycling, that'll go up come the summer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

31 mile round trip every weekday. Live in swords, work in clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

dancin wrote:
    31 mile round trip every weekday. Live in swords, work in clonskeagh.

That's pretty impressive!

How long does that commute take you each way and what's your ride? I live in Swords too and when I was in college a long time ago I used to cycle (very occasionally) to Crumlin. I remember it taking just under an hour on a heavy mountain bike and it was pretty knackering. You must be pretty fit.

I work in Blanchardstown and am considering using the bike at least some of the time to aand from work. At my reckoning that's 10 and a bit miles each way. Anyone else regularly do similiar milleage?

Wibbler wrote:
    That's pretty impressive!

How long does that commute take you each way and what's your ride? I live in Swords too and when I was in college a long time ago I used to cycle (very occasionally) to Crumlin. I remember it taking just under an hour on a heavy mountain bike and it was pretty knackering. You must be pretty fit.

I work in Blanchardstown and am considering using the bike at least some of the time to aand from work. At my reckoning that's 10 and a bit miles each way. Anyone else regularly do similiar milleage?

Between 1 hour and 1 hour 10 minutes, depending on the wind. - Not terribly fit. Just accustomed to the cycle.

Route is straight in the swords road, left at the tolka in drumcondra, all the way aong the tolka to the docks. Across the toll bridge and along the dodder to clonskeagh (with various diversions for bridges, dead ends etc...).

Not too sure about cycling from swords to blanch, the roads around the airport and beyond kilshane ross are narrow and filled with traffic. V. Dangerous. Plus you get a load of heavy trucks going to the various industrial estates near blanch from the N2.

Best of luck with that.

An hour sounds like a pretty respectable time, considering the times for alternative modes of transport. What sort of bike to you have, BTW?
    dancin wrote:
    Not too sure about cycling from swords to blanch, the roads around the airport and beyond kilshane cross are narrow and filled with traffic. V. Dangerous. Plus you get a load of heavy trucks going to the various industrial estates near blanch from the N2.

Best of luck with that.

Yeah, I'm not all that convinced either. :( There's not much by way of cycle lane for nearly all of the route. Although the new link road between Dolly Heffernan's and the roundabout at Northwest Business Park does have a cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Wibbler wrote:
    I work in Blanchardstown and am considering using the bike at least some of the time to and from work. At my reckoning that's 10 and a bit miles each way. Anyone else regularly do similiar milleage?
    According to the DTO Journey Planner it is 15km from Pavillions Swords Shopping Centre to Ballycoolin Business Park (Symantec/IBM).
    Between 1993 and 1996 I used to cycle between Ballycoolin and Finglas - before the road was improved. It wasn't as scary as you might expect - less cars and less stress then I suppose.

The DTO suggested route avoids the road I know.
    From Swords the Urbus service might be an option.
    Times for Swords village->Blanch Corporate Park:
    Dep 6:42, arr 7:20
    Dep 7:57, arr 8:35
    Dep 8:27, arr 9:05
    e4 for each journey (though down to e2.50 if 10 journey ticket purchased for e25).

If you choose to cycle, wear lots of bright colours. Maybe try the route out at the weekend.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    The DTO suggested route avoids the road I know.
    From Swords the Urbus service might be an option.

I actually have a car which I've used for my commute for 5 years. If I didn't own the car the UrBus service would be ideal. There's not a lot of point in using the service when you *do* own a car, since a lack of bus lanes and stopping for pickups means that the bus is no quicker. Kilshane cross is also somewhat of a bugger

I don't want to hijack this thread, but main reason for getting a bike is to get out and enjoy the summer evenings and weekends. The commuting option is pretty secondary, but one that would be interesting if it were possible.

Your suggestion to try the route at a weekend is a very good one! I actually did that by car the weekend before I started work in Blanchardstown :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I live quiet close to where I live so about three miles a day.But plan to do extra in the long evenings.I ride off road also but not much of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

That DTO thing is deadly... Apparantly I cylce more than I thought. 18km a day. So 10km a week more. An I burn over 600 calories a day commuting. Good site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - it can now at least do cross-city roads, although it still seems to have suicidal tendancies...

Wibbler wrote:
    What sort of bike to you have, BTW?
    Saracen Vice, full suspension frame with my own bits from previous bike (a gary fisher which I broke). Heavy but comfortable.

Good luck with the summer cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Currently I only do a 4 mile round trip on work days. My previous job included a 13 mile round trip commute. Needless to say my fitness has suffered since changing jobs...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

used to be a round trip of 28km.
    Since I moved, its about 24km.

thats for the daily commute.
    On the weekends it's much different... I do nothing!

Advertisement