Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TalkTalk guy calls to the door

Options
  • 21-03-2006 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Some guy claiming to be working for the carphone warehouse wearing a TalkTalk ID badge just called to my door asking me for my uan number to see "what i can do about your landline charges". I told him where to go, but I did find his approach very cheeky. Am I right in saying that if he had my uan number he could change me over to their service? I don't see the relevance of what having my account number could do with making my line rental cheaper - it's the same for everyone.

I wasn't born yesterday and I'm not going to give this guy anything. I only use the line for broadband, not for calls or anything. I let on I couldn't find it and he said he'd call back later. Do you lads have any questions you think I should ask him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i had one of these guys call to my door a couple of months ago. they asked who i was with and if i would change and that was it really. they explained there price plans (which were better than eircoms). i wasnt interested as at that time i had only just returned to eircom from the horrid utv. i didnt get any of that im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Same here, two girls called, we had a chat and then they looked for my eircom a/c no.

When I said no they got very pushy and I had to firmly tell them where to go - they wouldn't take no for an answer... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

TalkTalk called me one night and I explained how I have an IP line etc. and asked "Could you remove my number from your database?" The girl replied "You have to call..." and I angrily explained I do not have to call anyone as they have to remove me when requested. She tired to argue but realised I knew what I was talking about (she was Scottish so knew little about the law here). I felt bad for getting so angry as she was only doing her job.

I was then called by them two days later and as soon as they said TalkTalk I gave the 'remove me' spiel again. This time the girl was very apologetic so I apologized for my tone and I haven't heard from them since.

I suspect that TalkTalk have replaced Newtel as my least favourite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My conversations with these people very rarely get much futher than the point at which they say hello. If it not someones that I know asking to speak to me or one of the other people in the house then the phone just gets put down before they get a chance to respond.

The same happens to anyone calling at the door in person, if your not delivering me my latest purchase from ebay, or a pizza, then the door does not get answered as they are clearly trying to sell me something I don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We have been called by Talk Talk FOUR TIMES (on phone) in one week. Unfortunately my wife has had the misfortune to answer them each time. Our line is waiting to have number ported to Metro, which at the minute doesn't even support CPS!

I'd guess Eircom won't port the number very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I used to use Talk Talk by dialling their CPS code (when I still had a landline), as they offer extremely good value. They are owned by the Carphone Warehouse now. I can't say I've ever had a bad experience with them, the service was always top notch and "just worked as advertised".

I also have never had a bad experience with the Carphone Warehouse, where I've bought two phones, because they usually give you about 20 euro off the price for bringing in your old phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Smart Telecom used to ring my number very frequently. I would first off all tell them that our last phone bill was over €1,000 with Eircom and how I though it was quite cheap. I would then go on to ask them how are they affiliated with Smart Motors. aka Smart car. The I would ask them how much it is to call a Mobile in Diego Garcia and several other hard to find countries like North Korea, and Djiboti. My favourite was aksing them how much all calls to Tristan da Cunha cost? It would usually take them between 5 and ten minutes to find out. I would then boast about my wealth to the girl on the phone and ask annoying personal questions like, How much they were getting paid and if they were unionised. Surprisingly I haven't heard from them in a while. It must be either the time I asked the call centre girl if she would ever date the likes of me or the time I asked them why they had rang me at 2.30pm and were after waking me up! :D Ah the life of a tele rep!

I used to use Talk Talk by dialling their CPS code (when I still had a landline), as they offer extremely good value. They are owned by the Carphone Warehouse now. I can't say I've ever had a bad experience with them, the service was always top notch and "just worked as advertised".

I also have never had a bad experience with the Carphone Warehouse, where I've bought two phones, because they usually give you about 20 euro off the price for bringing in your old phone.

If this is true, why since we use Tele2 which is now also owned by Carphone Warehouse are they pestering us?

I find that the marketing, advertising (in quantity or Quality) is indeed no guide to how good a product is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I'm not trying to defend their marketing tactics in any way, sorry if it seemed that way. I simply wanted to point out that I've used them and was pleased with the service and how well it worked. They saved me over a hundred euros on international calls at the time.

If they call you, that's fine, but they should have a good system in place to remove your number and not bother you again (they've never called me on any of my VoIP lines, yet). Tele2, on the other hand, called me a dozen times. Both now owned by Carphone Warehouse, as you point out.

they've never called me on any of my VoIP lines, yet.

I ported my number from Eircom and it is in the book. I refuse to remove it as I shouldn't be inconvinienced by annoying telcos.

Are you sure Tele2 are owned by CPW? I'm not doubting I just didn't hear this. Where were they bought?

• Advertisement

I should get out more

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/19/carphone_onetel/

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/commerce/servlet/ieen-server-PageServer?ARTICLE=COINFORM.PRESSRELEASES.19DEC2005

http://www.tele2.ie/
    From http://www.tele2.ie/

STOP PRESS!

Great news for all customers!
    We are pleased to announce that Tele2 Ireland has been acquired by TalkTalk, the landline company from the Carphone Warehouse

My phone *IS* with Tele2 at the moment, so why do Talk Talk keep ring us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's very simple to stop these calls on your phone you know. Simply contact your phone provider and tell them you want to opt out of the National Directory Database (NDD). Within a week or two you'll get no more calls. Most providers allow you to do this on-line if you have an on-line account setup with them, should be in your account administration section.

I was getting calls from some Scottish marketing company two or three times a day for a while around Christmas, but not a single call since I opted out. Not to mention MBNA offering me a loan every 5 fecking minutes.

As for people calling to the door, it's simple. Don't answer the door. Unless I know who's calling, or they ring my mobile, I never answer the door. As robinph said above, it's invariably someone trying to sell you something you don't want.

jor el wrote:
    It's very simple to stop these calls on your phone you know. Simply contact your phone provider and tell them you want to opt out of the National Directory Database (NDD). Within a week or two you'll get no more calls.

But I don't want to do this and shouldn't have to because of annoying companies. All I ask is they remove me when I ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's not the telephone directory you know. It's a seperate list of numbers specifically for companies to ring you from. If you opt out of this then you'll get no telemarketing calls, but will still be in the phone book.

There's no reason not to opt out of this as it serves no purpose other than getting annoying sales calls.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jor el wrote:
    That's not the telephone directory you know. It's a seperate list of numbers specifically for companies to ring you from. If you opt out of this then you'll get no telemarketing calls, but will still be in the phone book.

There's no reason not to opt out of this as it serves no purpose other than getting annoying sales calls.

I thought that you had to have a listed number (in the telephone directory) for this to work.

Advertisement