Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk charging for text messages now

• 02-05-2006 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know why Newstalk 106 now charge for texts going into the show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

To make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

No that is not it I missed the explanation it sounded like their was a ruling but maybe I got it wrong and they are just grabing money

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

No that is not it I missed the explanation it sounded like their was a ruling but maybe I got it wrong and they are just grabing money

What, they charge you for texting in to the show (questions etc.) or for competitions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

they're charging for texting/contributing to the show, complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

This morning Dunphy said he wasn't happy about it all and that a lot of the other presenters felt the same way. He gave the impression that it was forced upon them?
    Its now 30c to text them, they'll make no friends charging that ridiculous amount for txt!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

How is it a rip off?
    Do you feel that you should not have to pay for the privilege of voicing your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Its fair enough if you just pay like if you were sending your mate a tex but it is not right that you should have to pay extra to text them in with a comment.

They want peoples comments but its not right you have to pay extra for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

How is it a rip off?
    Do you feel that you should not have to pay for the privilege of voicing your opinion?
    Actually that would be a general right most people would think every citizen should have the right to especially for free. It is not a rip off as such but I certainly don't think there should be a charge especially as this compnay is granted a public licence which I will now oppose going national now due to the retraction of part of their public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well there is still email and phoning in, but the use of the preium text number does now mean that webtexts can't be used or phone text bundle texts.
    I reckon Sean Monchrief may actually have to do some work for a change :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

alienhead wrote:
    they're charging for texting/contributing to the show, complete rip off.

Hardly; charging extra for texts will certainly lead to a drop in the number recieved but it's good business; there are still other avenues that people can take to voice their opinions (frankly I prefer to email in than text, you have more freedom to put your point across coherently).

Sure, I think newstalk are shooting themselves in the foot a little bit because they're cutting down customer interaction but if it has that much of an effect you'll see a turnaround in a few months.

If people are willing to pay 30c, so be it... Newstalk should have known that not consulting presenters like Dunphy was a bad idea though, although I'm sure he doesn't care as much as he lets on, he's just happy to look like the good guy in all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

flogen wrote:
    Hardly; charging extra for texts will certainly lead to a drop in the number recieved but it's good business; there are still other avenues that people can take to voice their opinions (frankly I prefer to email in than text, you have more freedom to put your point across coherently).

Sure, I think newstalk are shooting themselves in the foot a little bit because they're cutting down customer interaction but if it has that much of an effect you'll see a turnaround in a few months.

If people are willing to pay 30c, so be it... Newstalk should have known that not consulting presenters like Dunphy was a bad idea though, although I'm sure he doesn't care as much as he lets on, he's just happy to look like the good guy in all of this.

fair point, i still think it stinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ahh that's sh*te... i used to love textin in! i'll send in one more angry text to complain, agus sin é.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

If they can afford to have the 30c charge they must be getting a heck of a lot of texts - so many that a drop off won't affect the 'listener interaction'. I think it's a shame as a lot of people listen in the car (although i hope they only text when stuck in non-moving traffic), or on headphones while on the move, so don't have access to email.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

RLO are charging 50c a text, and their an illegal station :eek:

Advertisement