Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charles Haughey Has Died + Poll

• 13-06-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭

just like it says, died today around a quater to 11 aged 80 , just wondering what you thought?

Should Charlie Haughey get a state funeral 305 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    47% 144 votes
    Don't Care
    52% 161 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lonely Or Lazy

No Way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

scumbag tbh but RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Here's the link:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0613/haugheyc.html

Never speak ill of the dead.

That said, he was corrupt and a cut-throat.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I won't cry any tears for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Jezz he was ill a long time.Well he certainly made his mark and wont be forgotten.I guess all his mistakes are insignificant now,RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

just heard it on the news. he died of prostate cancer an hour ago.

i have no thoughts on it though, cos i'm not bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Best of a bad bunch, still though you have got to love him, sure who wasnt/isnt corrupt in politics.
    Tell me that and I'll vote for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

May he rest in peace, and I hope his family get time and space to mourn him.

On a political note he should not recieve a state funeral, he may have done a lot for this country but he did the majority of it corruptly for his own rewards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rest in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I think it's an absolute disgrace that he's getting a State Funeral. I know protocol demands it, but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Still, much as I detest the man, I hope his family are coping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Best of a bad bunch, still though you have got to love him

absolutely not. he was scum

I retract that earlier statement. I am deeply upset and demand that we have a public day of mourning for one of our greatest leaders.

Really. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Gangstaarrrrr.

All he needed was his own rap record deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Best of a bad bunch, still though you have got to love him, sure who wasnt/isnt corrupt in politics.

Typical Irish attitude to the malaise of this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wonder if he left instructions to be buried in a charvet shirt as a final two finger's to this country?

It's very hard to be sympathetic to the Haugheys but RIP

Mossy Monk wrote:
    absolutely not. he was scum

Scum like cream in this society rises to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2805019&postcount=23

Thats two down 3 to go. Almost a year to the day as well. Just call me nostrapigheadus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

In fairness to him he was a very competant minister and did a great job of Minister for Justice before the corruption started. That said he can't be forgiven the corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

did a great job of Minister for Justice before the corruption started.

lol, only in ireland could you get away with a statement like that:D brilliant!

that said theyre already lionising the guy. its like when he resigned all over again. we all know he was a crook but even in death no ones the balls to say it. and people wonder why were apathetic about politics

Fair enough I was only yanking yis r chains, I be too young to remember when he was in his hayday, I have only what i have learned from news reports and the back of sugar packets to go on.

TBH couldnt give two fiddlers either, still he was more of a celeb over the last 10 years, you dont see Dick Spring in the news every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Femmy wrote:
    just heard it on the news. he died of prostate cancer an hour ago.

i have no thoughts on it though, cos i'm not bothered.
    prostate cancer?
    so he finally got fucked in the ass.
    fitting death.

condolences to his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

CJ Haughey has died, do you believe he should get a state funeral?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

padi89 wrote:
    I guess all his mistakes are insignificant now,RIP.

Why, because he died???

I'm sorry for his family who i am sure loved him and will miss him, but he wronged a nation, so f*ck him.

The only bad thing is they offered the guy a state funeral.....just more tax money gone astray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yes, I think so. He may not have been the nicest or the most popular of people, but he was still An Taoiseach, so we should show respect for that at least.

Voting no.

More tax money gone on a state funeral for that f*cking thief????

Load of bollox if you ask me.

As i said in another thread, i'm sure his family loved him and will miss him, but he wronged a nation and in my opinion never paid the price.

Now out tax money is gonna be spent so Bertie can stand there and ignore the fact that he was a scumbag???

Come back St Patrick, there still snakes in Ireland.:rolleyes:

Only if we get a day off work to mourn*.

*Mourning may involve spending the day in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

I think it should definitely be a state funeral, the man was a great leader and an example to us all...

On a completely unrelated note: we do get a day off for state funerals, don't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Im in the no camp also.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote:

The only bad thing is they offered the guy a state funeral.....just more tax money gone astray.

actually AFAIk they dont have a choice, as an ex taoiseach he's entitled to one wheather the nation supports one or not. im dying to see what happens in the dail. Fianna Fail spent alot of time recently trying to rehabilitate haughey image (which from as far as i can tell hasnt worked, most of us still see him as a crook:D ) and then he up and dies on em!
    the state funeral should be fun. of course the usuall FF flunkies will be out but how big of a turnout do you think he'll get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I won't cry any tears for him.
    2nd that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

He was better than the shower we have at the minute.

RIP.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Only if we get a day off work to mourn*.

*Mourning may involve spending the day in the pub.

Yes... I too feel I should be allowed to mourn* I'd mourn* all day, and maybe move on to mourn* at a late night venue after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Dragan wrote:
    As i said in another thread, i'm sure his family loved him and will miss him, but he wronged a nation and in my opinion never paid the price.

Now out tax money is gonna be spent so Bertie can stand there and ignore the fact that he was a scumbag???

I agree with the first sentence here but not entirely with the second ... Bertie never ignored the fact that he was a scumbag - he actively participated in the scumbagry. Never forget that Bertie was the treasurer at the time that Charlie was screwing the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Was gonna come on here and post "why? is he dead?" (considering this questions been prematurly asked about 100 times here and considering he's been dying for about 15 years now). I really should keep up on current affairs!

Anyway, I'm in the "don't care" category atm. If theres people out there that want to give the crook a fancy farewell then it's no skin off my ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Surely an East End style gangland funeral with horse drawn carriage and attendees in sovereigns and cheesy sunglasses would be more appropriate.

However, I like the idea of a day off :) As Ed Byrne (i think) on the panel said

"I mean, Charlie Haughey? He looked like a particularly sh1t Bond villain" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If they have a state funeral will we be able to see if they staked him through the heart, just in case like? :D

Macros42 wrote:
    I agree with the first sentence here but not entirely with the second ... Bertie never ignored the fact that he was a scumbag - he actively participated in the scumbagry. Never forget that Bertie was the treasurer at the time that Charlie was screwing the country.

Good blood point.

I shall change my statement to " Now our tax money is gonna be spent so Bertie can stand there and hope to f*ck that no one points out that the whole damn lot of them are bent as hell!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Surely an East End style gangland funeral with horse drawn carriage and attendees in sovereigns and cheesy sunglasses would be more appropriate.

However, I like the idea of a day off :) As Ed Byrne (i think) on the panel said

"I mean, Charlie Haughey? He looked like a particularly sh1t Bond villain" :D

Well Ed Byrne looks like a big-nosed woman but i digress.Haughey should get a Mussolini -style funeral,with him and his cronies hanging by ther ankles from a flagpole as an example to others.

Aye Dragan, the way that most of the current FF crowd will still refuse to outwardly condemn the guy is mad. I remember Mary O`Rourke on the Panel (again) sidestepping questions basically asking whether he was a disgrace or not. Flatly refused to say a bad word against the guy.

From the BBC

"One heard that money intended for a liver transplant for the late Brian Lenihan, a former government minister, ended up in Charles Haughey's bank account. It was spent on £700 shirts from Charvet of Paris. "

Christ what a sh1t. Its worse than Ted going to Vegas with the sick kids Lourdes money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

If someone robbed your grannys house do they desver a state funeral?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Haughey bashing aside - I would say he should have and does deserve a state funeral. Its a matter of respect from the state to a former taoiseach - it doesnt mean we all approve of everything he ever did.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Flatly refused to say a bad word against the guy.

Thats most likely because he would sue them for slander etc!!! :D You gotta fear the law suits in our modern world.

However, this is the net, so .......

"FU*K THAT THIEF"

padi89 wrote:
    .I guess all the mistakes are insignificant now

To quote Alan Partridge reacting to a similiar statement

"Hmm, yeah. Thats what Nazi war criminals always say":)

Someone clarify, do we get a day off for state funerals? Or extra pay for working during one?

Like this from the BBC

"Charles Haughey and his entourage enjoyed a lavish lifestyle. He owned a yacht, his own island, race horses and a mansion.

Many believed he was the ideal man to deal with the Irish Republic's chronic debt problem......"

Only in Ireland......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

There is no way that he deserves a State Funeral!
    The man was a gangster to the core how people can respect him is beyond me.
    The list of his criminal activities makes the bases for a trilogy of Hollywood block busters.
    The sayin power corrupts was never better associated than to that man.

woodyg wrote:
    The sayin power corrupts was never better associated than to that man.

Or Hitler, Stalin, Napolean etc, etc, etc

Macros42 wrote:

yeah, people tend to forget bertie signed all those cheques for haughey but doesnt seem to remember what they were for, not exactly the actions of a good treasurer to sign a compleate book of blank cheques. remember what haughey said about him "the most cunning and devious of em all!":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

If someone robbed your grannys house do they desver a state funeral?
    Depends if he's a former Taoiseach or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As an ex taoiseach he is entitled to one , so the vote is immaterial. He had his very serious flaws and even if he didn't have respect for the Office at times, the Office needs to be respected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Th e
    arroagnce of the fecker,while teh whole country was groaning with unemplyment and strikes and poverty in the 70's,this scumbag was amassing a huge fortune from corrupt dealings AND he never attoned for it.Give him a state funeral my hole,let his estate pay for every funeral in this country for the next twenty years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement