Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'll be doing English next year...

Options
  • 19-06-2006 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

...assuming there's a massive collapse in points. Anyway, I thought I'd humour/torture myself by getting ahead on the reading requirements for the course during the summer. Can anyone tell me when the reading list gets published and where I can get it from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

You could get in touch with Diane, the executive officer for Freshman students - contact info is up at http://www.tcd.ie/English/contact/ - she'll post out the reading list when it's available if you leave in an SAE.

Not sure when exactly it gets done up, but I do know that a lot of the time it's just the previous year's reading list - I got mine in October and several of the texts changed when the courses were actually taught, so it's not a 100% reliable list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

You speak wisdom. You may put on the wisdom hat and stand upon the intelligence stool.
    stool-noflash_8x10.jpg

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Squoosh

English Studies, not TSM?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you'll be subjected to the torture of Old English! Suffer! And it's the one subject you can't fail! Mwahahahahahaha, so glad I'm done and dusted with that.

Ah no. It's not that bad. Not really. Well it is, but you only have one term of it, the last. You'll survive. Probably. Possibly.

Well I have English TSM along with Film put down as my first choice, with pure English as my second. Will I get enough points for either? Only time will tell.

Actually, no. No I won't.

I have an actually useful post to add this time; if you know someone who'll get you into the Trinity local site (someone who goes there that is) they could get you into the examination papers section for English Junior Fresh. The exam papers have questions on almost every book on the course, so you'll get a good idea of what you should be reading from that.

I'd copy and paste them for you, but my Adobe Reader isn't working for some unknown reason and they're all pdf files.

Hope this is a bit more help than the last one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

According to the exam papers, it looks like you should look at:
    • Matthew Arnold
    • Ferdinand de Saussure
    • Roman Jakobson
    • Roland Barthes
    • Sigmund Freud
    • Michel Foucault
    • Louis Pierre Althusser
    • Ania Loomba
    • Edward Said
    • Pierre Bourdieu
    • Jean Baudrillard
    • Jean-François Lyotard
    • Walter Benjamin
    • Jacques Lacan
    • Antonio Gramsci
    • Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick
    • Jane Austen
    • Thomas Hardy
    • Kate Chopin
    • Virginia Woolf
    • Edmund White
    • Jeanette Winterson
    • William Butler Yeats
    • James Joyce
    • Seán O'Casey
    • Patrick Kavanagh
    • John McGahern
    • Seamus Heaney
    • Eavan Boland
    • Tom Murphy
    • Patrick McCabe
    • Edmund Burke
    • William Blake
    • William Godwin
    • John Barrell
    • Virgil
    • John Milton
    • John Dryden
    • Henry Fielding
    • John Gay
    • Samuel Richardson
    • William Wordsworth
    • Laurence Sterne
    • Klas Östergren
    • Peter van Diest
    • Henry Medwall
    • Sir Philip Sidney
    • JW Lever
    • Thomas Kyd
    • Thomas Dekker
    • Francis Beaumont
    • John Webster
    • William Shakespeare
    • Christopher Marlowe
    • Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    • Klaus Mann
    • Thomas Mann
    • Hector Berlioz
    • Oscar Wilde
    • Mikhail Bulgakov
    • Sophocles
    • Jean Racine
    • Henrik Ibsen
    • Niccolò Machiavelli
    • Benjamin Jonson
    • Molière
    • Dion Boucicault
    • Anton Chekhov
    • William Langland
    • Geoffrey Chaucer
    • Cynewulf
    • Some Anglo-Saxon stuff of unknown provenance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

By the way, don't take that as a complete list. I'm sure the English Department would change their courses every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

I think you have to read Dryden's translation of the Aeneid at some point in first year. Read that, it's amazing, and by far the best English translation that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

You know Europerson, i think i shall make it my mission to read one of each from that list this summer :) either that or finish off the reading list from the 4th year gothic and horror fiction course - Darryl Jones has good taste in books :)

hrmm never did finish "the monk"...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

&#231 wrote: »
    hrmm never did finish "the monk"...

Do, it's quite good towards the end.

• Advertisement

I foolishly started reading it just prior to the leaving cert - will have to get it out of the library.

I read it a couple of months ago, I was attracted by the very dramatic cover of a demon carrying a man through the air.

actually - if you like lovecraft and that sort of thing, give M R James a read - ghost storyesque version of lovecraft -much better written overall.

Oh, and look for a book called perfume - (translated from the german Das Parfum) by Patrick Süskind - very dark, and an excellent read.

Also Angela Carter's bloody chambers and other stories - reworkings of old fairy tales - a feminist leaning but despite that a good read :P

Thanks, being the only other person I know to have heard of The Monk I will be more than willing to take a risk on these. Oh and I will see your recommendations with Count Stenbock. Quite hard to find but a big influence on Lovecraft. I think you'd like him.

Wow. Thanks all.

Are specific works by those authors typically specified for the course?

The Monk is teh sex0r, by the way.

[*]Matthew Arnold
      [*]Ferdinand de Saussure
      [*]Roman Jakobson
      [*]Roland Barthes
      [*]Sigmund Freud
      [*]Michel Foucault
      [*]Louis Pierre Althusser
      [*]Ania Loomba
      [*]Edward Said
      [*]Pierre Bourdieu
      [*]Jean Baudrillard
      [*]Jean-François Lyotard
      [*]Walter Benjamin
      [*]Jacques Lacan
      [*]Antonio Gramsci
      [*]Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick

[*]Jane Austen
      [*]Thomas Hardy - Tess of the d'Urbervilles
      [*]Kate Chopin - The Awakening
      [*]Virginia Woolf - Orlando
      [*]Edmund White
      [*]Jeanette Winterson - Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit
      [*]William Butler Yeats
      [*]James Joyce - Dubliners
      [*]Seán O'Casey
      [*]Patrick Kavanagh
      [*]John McGahern
      [*]Seamus Heaney
      [*]Eavan Boland
      [*]Tom Murphy
      [*]Patrick McCabe
      [*]Edmund Burke - extracts only
      [*]William Blake - extracts only
      [*]William Godwin
      [*]John Barrell
      [*]Virgil -
      [*]John Milton - Paradise Lost
      [*]John Dryden - Aeneid translation
      [*]Henry Fielding
      [*]John Gay
      [*]Samuel Richardson - Pamela
      [*]William Wordsworth
      [*]Laurence Sterne - Tristram Shandy
      [*]Klas Östergren
      [*]Peter van Diest
      [*]Henry Medwall
      [*]Sir Philip Sidney - wonderful, read everything of his
      [*]JW Lever
      [*]Thomas Kyd - Spanish Tragedy (?)
      [*]Thomas Dekker
      [*]Francis Beaumont
      [*]John Webster
      [*]William Shakespeare
      [*]Christopher Marlowe
      [*]Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Faust

[*]Klaus Mann
      [*]Thomas Mann
      [*]Hector Berlioz
      [*]Oscar Wilde
      [*]Mikhail Bulgakov
      [*]Sophocles
      [*]Jean Racine
      [*]Henrik Ibsen
      [*]Niccolò Machiavelli - The Prince
      [*]Benjamin Jonson
      [*]Molière
      [*]Dion Boucicault
      [*]Anton Chekhov

[*]William Langland - Piers Plowman
      [*]Geoffrey Chaucer
      [*]Cynewulf - in Old English book
      [*]Some Anglo-Saxon stuff of unknown provenance - in Old English book

Alright, the stuff in red is all in the Critical and Cultural Theory book which I really can't remember the name of right now. The stuff in blue (except for the Shakespeare) is all in the Kinney editions of either Medieval Drama: An Anthology or Renaissance Drama: An Anthology. Do NOT, I repeat do NOT buy either of these. It's a total waste of money (loads of people in my first year bought either one or the other without realising that all the plays weren't in both, and they're really expensive) and you can get them on long loan from the library, if you get there quick. The stuff in green I am reasonably sure is all given to you on handouts in The Essay course - they'll be fairly compact and won't take too long to read. Oh, and don't worry about the Old English stuff. Just get the book when you get the list.

I've stuck in the titles of novels that I can remember; you may as well read as much Austen and Shakespeare as you can though, they're both going to pop up again and again. Richardson's Pamela is WITHOUT DOUBT the worst novel I have ever, ever read. It is awesomely excruciating. But you have to read it, so you can go through the bonding experience of hating it with everyone else. And it is the first real novel blah blah blah blah. It's still rubbish.

Hope that's useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Kovik wrote:
      Are specific works by those authors typically specified for the course?

Yep. Most courses (and exam qs) are text-specific rather than author-specific (unless you're looking at a poet or a literary theorist/critic).

Austen turned up on three JF courses this year (or possibly more, someone from SH may have some to add) - Pride & Prejudice on the Lit & Sex course, and Northanger Abbey on The Hero and Romanticism & Revolution. Most of the other writers only show up once, with one particular text to look at.

ETA adding to Squoosh's list:

Jane Austen - Pride & Prejudice, Northanger Abbey
      Edmund White - A Boy's Own Story [not on course 05/06, replaced with Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray]
      Charlotte Bronte - Villette [05/06, anyway]
      James Joyce - The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
      Patrick Kavanagh - The Great Hunger
      John McGahern - Amongst Women
      Seamus Heaney - any poetry that deals with memory/cultural history/archaeology etc
      Tom Murphy - Bailegangaire
      Patrick McCabe - The Butcher Boy
      William Godwin - Caleb Williams
      John Gay - The Beggar's Opera
      William Wordsworth - The Prelude
      Laurence Sterne - The Life & Opinions of Tristram Shandy
      Mary Shelley - Frankenstein
      Elizabeth Bowen - The Last September
      Charlotte Lennox - The Female Quixote
      Matthew Lewis - The Monk [which, as has already been established, beats yer standard soap any day of the week for drama and craziness]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

John McGahern - Amongst Women

I hated this book, and yet I liked Cat's Eye...(shut up, Dec)

What kind of novel is Richardson's Pamela?

William Godwin - Caleb Williams

you know, i'm almost sure i've read this, but its somewhat non existant in my mind...

Pet wrote:
      What kind of novel is Richardson's Pamela?

It's an epistolatory novel, first published in 1740, and one of the very first - if not the very first - novels ever published or written. That fact, however, doesn't make it any less absolutely awful. It's terrible. It's preachy, annoying, unbelievable, irritating, hard to read, and downright patronising. If I could find Richardson today I'd punch him.

Don't do it unless you HAVE to.

Oh I've just remembered - the Henry Fielding book on the course is Joseph Andrews.

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks again. I'll go pick up a few of those titles today. It seems I've read some of them which makes me feel all prepared and 1337 and such.

I offer you love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭fiveone

Or you could, you know, read what you actually want to while you still have time on your hands. Everythings relavent anyway. Im slightly sceptical of the "head-start" mentality but I suppose it'll be of use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Sabre_wolf wrote:
      Accepts love on behalf of the forum. <3

<3 Sabre_wolf...though you made a grammar error in one of your posts ;_;

lydonst wrote:
      Or you could, you know, read what you actually want to while you still have time on your hands. Everythings relavent anyway. Im slightly sceptical of the "head-start" mentality but I suppose it'll be of use to you.
      Well, some dude at the open day told me, essentially, that it was vital to do so. And I'm not going to argue with a bald man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

Kovik wrote:
      Well, some dude at the open day told me, essentially, that it was vital to do so. And I'm not going to argue with a bald man.

If I were you I'd just enjoy my time off. Course content changes very frequently.

It will mean more to you if you do it first in lectures anyway... thats their function... otherwise we could just get a reading list sent to us and do an exam in May!

Kovik wrote:

Yeah, he lied to you, nobody does that. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Murv

HA. Reading. I remember I thought I had to do that. Dark days they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Just out of curiosity... how many books are English students expected to read throughout the course of the year... and how much time do they have to do it? And how many hours lectures? Is it tough??

Just out of curiosity... how many books are English students expected to read throughout the course of the year... and how much time do they have to do it? And how many hours lectures? Is it tough??

On the final point, you'll be hard pressed to find a course in college that is 'easy', especially given that one person's strength is another person's weakness.

Lectures I don't think is that many, and am even unsure if it makes it into double figures, though that might depend if you're doing TSM or Single Honours.

Looksee at the School Handbook (you're looking at JF - Junior Freshman, i.e. 1st year; SH = Single Honours, TSM = Two Subject Moderatorship) here: http://www.tcd.ie/English/assets/docs/School_Handbook_%202006-2007.pdf. It mentions about the different exams you take, and even details the deadlines for the essays you have to hand in (which is quite handy. I always get additional assignments from random lecturers not knowing that we have other assignments due).

This thread, in fact, has some suggestions for whom and/or what you should read, as well as a response by someone about their impression of the reading list. Look again!

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Myth wrote:
      On the final point, you'll be hard pressed to find a course in college that is 'easy', especially given that one person's strength is another person's weakness.

Lectures I don't think is that many, and am even unsure if it makes it into double figures, though that might depend if you're doing TSM or Single Honours.

Looksee at the School Handbook (you're looking at JF - Junior Freshman, i.e. 1st year; SH = Single Honours, TSM = Two Subject Moderatorship) here: http://www.tcd.ie/English/assets/docs/School_Handbook_%202006-2007.pdf. It mentions about the different exams you take, and even details the deadlines for the essays you have to hand in (which is quite handy. I always get additional assignments from random lecturers not knowing that we have other assignments due).

This thread, in fact, has some suggestions for whom and/or what you should read, as well as a response by someone about their impression of the reading list. Look again!

Ah well obviously it's not "easy"... I'm just wondering like what standard in say Leaving Cert English grade you'd want to be or how difficult it is to keep on top of the course and everything...

Thanks for link and everything tho.

Advertisement