Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishGamer.ie - A Great Bunch of Lads

Options
  • 06-07-2006 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who reads this forum has seen that irishgaming.ie are getting pimped a fair bit by a few of the posters here.

I was reading there review of Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS on their wesbite, and it seemed very familiar.

Then I remembered where I'd seen it before, In May 2006's Games(TM) magazine.

For those of you who don't read it here's a quote from the magazine on http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/metroidprimehunters

"games(TM)
    Broken arms aside, Metroid on the DS is a smooth, attractive and compelling FPS that shows what the machine is capable of, cramming in a fulfilling multi-player mode to boot. [May 2006, p.106]
    "

And on IG website -

http://www.irishgamer.ie/reviews.php?id=37&page=2

"Metroid on the DS is a smooth, attractive and compelling FPS that shows what the machine is capable of, cramming in a fulfilling multiplayer mode to boot."

Now, normally I wouldn't care, the site is made by a couple of kids anyway, but I used to get free Games(TM) mags cause my brother knew one of the guys working there :)

Anyway, what do you think?

Is it possible IrishGamers are the ones being plagiarised by Games(TM) ?

Or is it more likely that one of the Games(TM) reviewers wrote the review on March 23rd 2006 about a month before it's release, and the cheeky chappys robbed it(and most of the other reviews) and passed it off as their own.

Irelands Best Gaming Centre, me hole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Does the GamesTM review have a by-line? Is it possible that both reviews were written by the same person?

If not, shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Different names on the reviews.

Might drop a mail to Paul Morgan(editor) and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I never got why people copy verbatim. If you want to copy something, just like when in school, read, reword and rewrite. Unless you have no ability of your own or just plain dont care..

Havent read any of the reviews, is it really more than just that one line copied?

Matt

It was written on team by one of my guys on the 23rd March, and given that the game wasn't released until the 5 May I took a look at the review online. I checked it with ours and this Noel Brady has copied a lot more than just that sentence. Thanks for the tip - I'll be having a word.

Kind regards,

Not sure how much was lifted direct from that magazine, who knows, maybe a little bit from a collection of reviews.

IG is being pimped big on this site, check out the IrishGamer.ie PES5 tournie, and a Irishgamer.ie Fantasy Football League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

After doing abit of investigating, these guys also own www.copyandpaste.ie ;)

How embarrassing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

zabbo wrote:
    Not sure how much was lifted direct from that magazine, who knows, maybe a little bit from a collection of reviews.

IG is being pimped big on this site, check out the IrishGamer.ie PES5 tournie, and a Irishgamer.ie Fantasy Football League.

Reviews are not copied I assure you of that zabbo, and the fact that you are making that assertion from one review maddens me TBH.

The line could of came from anywhere. It could have been from a press release or anything. I don't read GamesTm so I don't know.

If you would like more on this, please pm me and I will talk to you about it. Other than that, I'd appreciate if you didn't excuse us of copying the 50+ reviews we have on the site over 1 line.

By the way, we are not being pimped on Boards. We are offering prizes for their competitions. That is all.

I suggest you take it up with the editor of GamesTM.

See his quote above.

Do you mean reviewers just churn out press release's instead of writing review copy?

zabbo wrote:
    I suggest you take it up with the editor of GamesTM.

See his quote above.

Do you mean reviewers just churn out press release's instead of writing review copy?

Sometimes they might take a sentence or two from one if it decscribes the game aptly. And yes, I will take it up with Paul Morgan if he is the editor.

If you would like, I can have the review pulled for now while I investigate this.

Do whatever you like.

Why pull the review? you wrote it, you should be asking GamesTM to reimburse you for robbing your review.

Which one of you's is lying ?

Strange how only you and GamesTM decided to use that line, which you're claiming was part of a Press Release

In fact, show us the Press Release

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote:
    Do whatever you like.

Why pull the review? you wrote it, you should be asking GamesTM to reimburse you for robbing your review.

Which one of you's is lying ?

Strange how only you and GamesTM decided to use that line, which you're claiming was part of a Press Release

In fact, show us the Press Release

Give me your address and I'l post you a copy. Other sites could have used it, have you checked?

I don't have an e-mail copy (too many too keep so I delete them) but, if you'd like, pm me your address and I keep a printed copy of press releases by month.

I would pull the review until I investigate this. Now, I'd appreciate if if you could pm me rather than try to drag the site's name through the mud. If you don;t like it, you don't have to read it.

We are trying to provide a service and, so far, alot of people say we do. Alot of people are fans of our weekly price check and read our DS Lite feature but, if you're not a fan, there's no need to read the site.

I suppose we copy all the Irish features we do too, which have Irish prices etc.? Or we copied our exclusive Gears Of War interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

FFS he didn't claim you plagerised anything else and he has every right to make a thread about this.

Editor of Games(TM) says you've taken more than that sentence.

Is it possible both are lazy reviewers who lumped in part of a press release.

zabbo wrote:
    Editor of Games(TM) says you've taken more than that sentence.

Is it possible both are lazy reviewers who lumped in part of a press release.

He has just e-mailed me so I will sort it out with him. I didn't say he was doing anything wrong Ciaran, I just pointed out that we would appreciate if we were not accused straight off over one sentence.

Well, what did he say ?

He has asked me to pull the review which I have done. The review was written by Dave White, one of our writers. My name appeared on it incorrectly because of mistakes with uploading reviews quickly by our updaters.

I have pulled the review, told him I see the similarities between the two (he sent me a pdf copy), that Dave will not be writing for IG again and that a public apology will be issued on site.

An apology to you I also issue.

Do you still want my address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Lemlin wrote:
    He has asked me to pull the review which I have done. The review was written by Dave White, one of our writers. My name appeared on it incorrectly because of mistakes with uploading reviews quickly by our updaters.

I have pulled the review, told him I see the similarities between the two (he sent me a pdf copy), that Dave will not be writing for IG again and that a public apology will be issued on site.

An apology to you I also issue.
    Err...seeing as how you've just lost a writer, could I offer my services? PM me if your interested as I have exoerience writing for online sites.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

As a matter of interest, is the website investigating other work by Dave White?

zabbo wrote:
    Do you still want my address ?

Nope, I see the similarities. Any of Dave's content has been taken off the site and we'll be screening any writers a damn signt more in the future.

I actually probably owe you one for highlighting this so, if you'd like, send me your address and I will sort you out with a game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I must say all respect to you Lemlin for taking responsibilty and acting on the matter!! ;) And for offering zabbo a game for pointing it out!!

In Fairness you've taken it well, I could post something smug and I told you so etc., but it probably wasn't your fault, and you've done the right thing with the reviewer as well.

In light of your gratis game offer, I will gladly accept (pm me some details, I like DS games)

No hard feelings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Hooray! Responsible and gentlemanly actions all round on a games forum. Is this the next stage in human evolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Just seconding the props given to Lemlin for the way he's handling this. I have to say at first I thought he was going about it the wrong way but he's proven me wrong.

Hat's off to you.

zabbo wrote:
    In Fairness you've taken it well, I could post something smug and I told you so etc., but it probably wasn't your fault, and you've done the right thing with the reviewer as well.

In light of your gratis game offer, I will gladly accept (pm me some details, I like DS games)

No hard feelings

None at all. I just hope this won't stop anyone reading the site. I feel we have alot to offer and, even if you may not like the site zabbo, alot of people say that we fill a gap in the market with news on irish prices etc.

I'll be back in Dublin this evening so I'll pm you a list of games then and you can choose one which I will send as goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Good on you Lemlin (and IrishGamers.ie) and well spotted zabbo.

Perhaps the thread title should be amended ;)

I'd appreciate if anyway... how about "Irishgamer - they are great" :D

Big up to Paul Morgan from Games too, just said he fully understood, didn't want an apology and to just take the article down.

I'm taking all of the reviewer's articles down just in case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

plus i've decided to sign up to the newsletter ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

RuggieBear wrote:
    plus i've decided to sign up to the newsletter ;)

Is it for the news or the posibility of a free DS lite? :D

I've signed up too but didn't get any confirmation email... am I supposed to?

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    Is it for the news or the posibility of a free DS lite? :D

I've signed up too but didn't get any confirmation email... am I supposed to?

Nope, we haven't been able to setup confirmation yet but you will be signed up if you enter your details.

It looks like I owe zabbo a few games, this has got us loads of publicity! :D

Incidentally, what do people think of the site? We've still a few things to iron out, like screens for the previews etc. but we feel its going well so far (today's little panto aside).

Advertisement