Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band & Gigging Advice

Options
  • 11-07-2006 12:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

Good ol' Doc J has made a good suggestion to start a band / gigging advice thread , for all the uninitiated out there in light of this chancer / bottom feeder

So if you've got any questions about:
    • How to run gigs
    • How to promote gigs
    • How to promote your band online / offline
    • Good promoters / Bad Promoters
    • Anything else you can think of to do with your band
    Then ask away on this thread and I'm sure the more experienced users on boards will be only too happy to answer questions and in time hopefull turn this thread into a nice quick and dirty guide filled with advice for the younger bands out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

To all bands and musicians out there, feel free to ask anything, no matter how stupid or insignificant you might think it is, and somebody here will try to help you out. The music industry is a filthy business and there are plenty of leeches out there looking to rip off bands in one way or another. Never be afraid to look for opinions or advice on anything.

This is a great idea and I'd like to put forward one thing to start the ball rolling.

If you are putting on a gig night, print out a list of times of soundchecks and performing times. If there's 3 acts on with soundcheck from 5 try this:

17.00: Soundcheck band A (including soundcheck of drums and all backline amps)
    18.30: Soundcheck band B (most of backlie will be done so it's just a matter of getting vocal levels right)
    19.00: Soundcheck band C (most of backlie will be done so it's just a matter of getting vocal levels right again)
    19.30: All soundchecks finished

20.00: Doors

20.45/21.00-21.25: Act C. Leave this til 9 if the punters haven't arrived yet
    21.25-21.40: Turnaround time
    21.40-22.15: Act B
    22.15-22.30: Turnaround time
    22.30-23.00: Act A
    End

While this might seem militaristic, I have found it nothing but helpful as all bands know what time to be there etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

miju's gig / general tip #1:

Have a look at the attachment i use when running gigs and why I use it, it contains:
    • Guestlist
    • Reduced Entry List
    • E-Mail Subscribe List

Some Problems You Face
    • People who say yes on the internet does not neccesarily translate into bums on seats.
    • Trying to build and maintain a regular active fanbase.

Why I Like To Use These Pages

Guestlist
    Obviously to help get people into the gig. It's tempting to bang half of your friends on the guestlist but you really should be comping people who haven't seen your band / can help your band in some way.

Of course you can always put one or two on the guestlist at each gig and "rotate" them to make em all feel happy :-)

Reduced Entry List
    Alot of bands websites have forums with quite a few members but alot of them don't really interact. What I like to do is to list all the forum usernames and then send out one nice big email to them all inviting them to the gig.

And of course because they've taken an interest in the band by signing up to the forum they'll be put on a list for reduced entry. This is VERY helpful is identifying who is an active fan even if their not active on your website.

E-Mail Subscribe List
    If someone is not on your forum username list or on your guestlist then chances are they may not have been to see you / heard of you before.

So offer anyone who doesn't have a concessional flyer the chance for reduced entry by signing up / scribbling down their email address and OBVIOUSLY check that it's not askmebollix@yer-ma.com :-)

This helps you to keep in contact with people who may not have been on your website / who may not have heard of you before and who YOU KNOW has been definitely to see at least one of your gigs.

If the person likes you and you send out a "gig update" for your next gig chances are they may well pop along with a few friends.

Back in my band management days this worked a charm and over the course of about 2 months was able to raise a crowd pretty damn quickly / easily of about 90 people that didn't consist of friends and family. Not bad for 2 months work eh?

It's all simple basic common sense stuff but effective non the less

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimidalliance

Hey would anyone have any advice on how to promote our band on the net? We have a myspace page ( http://www.myspace.com/dalliancemusic ) already. We are also looking for a new singer/frontman, where is the best place to look? I have posted up a few threads before but all forums are usually full of bands searching for singers!!
    We are basically trying to get some interest and a wee fan base before we get into regular gigging!
    Any help or advice is much appreciated!
    Cheers
    Jimmy

[** start cheap plug **]

have a look at the link my siggie www.cpu.ie for a good start (and there's TON'S of things that'll be happening with it soon enough ;-)

[** end cheap plug **}

asking how to promote your band on the net is a bit like asking "how longs a piece of string?" but firstly before anything else you need your own website

secondly, what do you want to promote on the net your band in general / gigs / your music / your achievements ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fidge

absolutely agree with everything you said ... we used a mail-list and got out fan-base up to 300 in about 8 months - then we couldn't manage to get above that - then the band broke up ... but it shows can be done. I think once you're filling the likes of whelans it's time to get someone that knows about management on board - something we should have done!

it is a very effective process that i've found to work now with 4 seperate bands so it's definitely a positive trend , but with that said it's all down to work ethic (which is something some bands severely lack)

ye have to careful of those management types though there's alot of "have a go heroes" out there who think they're a manager and it just involves booking a venue , emailing a few people and massaging the bands ego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Stinkerbelle

My mate's band are playing a gig in the Boom Boom Room Saturday week, we've done posters and flyers so am looking for ideas of where in Dublin City to put them? Any idea's greatly appreciated, so we don't waste our time.

http://www.myspace.com/greenpocketsubway

cheap , cheerful and best solution without breaking the bank (or the soles of your feet) is a company called micro media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 oogieboogie

Hi, I want to know what the best duplication house in ireland is.

The band are considering using digipaks,but are concerned about cost.
    The budget is 1500 for 500cds.
    The criteria are: Quality of print on booklet,as some of the cds the bands we know have got badly registered colors on their sleeves.
    Does the dupication house have any effect on the sound quality of the cd's?

Im also unsure about if its worth the money getting the tracks mastered.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Conor

• Advertisement

hi conor , couple of things

1: its definitely worth getting mastering done

2: not to be pessimistic but do you intend on selling / getting rid of the full 500 CD's ? the reason i ask is because i've seen many a band duplicate 500 - 1000 CD's in the belief that they'll shift them all when in reality they shift about 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I agree with miju - mastering is essential and is worth every penny and get it done by someone who has a good track record and knows what they're doing and not some clapped out sound engineer who thinks he knows it all. Ask a few bands who have had work done and try and listen to the end result.
    Also avoid trying to do it yourself with a PC and some software nicked from the Net - bad idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Does anyone have a list of the general hiring cost of different venues around Dublin city center? Venues like The Hub, Whelans, Eamonn Dorans, all those that hire out for rock events. Cheers!

theres a list in the resources thread , the cost varies with sun-weds being a bit cheaper than thurs-sat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

As far as i can see theres only contact details for different venues, not any prices for them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Anyone got any idea where I can make my band available for slots? We're only 16 that's the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 oogieboogie

Being 16 shouldnt really be a problem if your band is good.

What i recommend doing is get tight,good songs and save up your money to record a demo/cd,theres plenty of people who have badly done cds,so spend some money on getting it to sound nice if you can. This now gives you something you can hand out to people so they know where you are as a band. Usually you will be contacted and offered a gig by a promoter who you gave your cd to.

Go to as many local shows as you can,find out who put them on and give them your cd,or tell them that you are looking for a gig to play.

Or else just find a hall/scout den/whatever and set up your own gig,thats what we did for 5 years! We started a collective called Basta! and began booking larger touring bands like Against Me and This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb.

Check out.

www.moshspace.com
    http://punk4it.proboards29.com/index.cgi

And hopefully you'll find something.

Conor

Voltwad wrote:
    Anyone got any idea where I can make my band available for slots? We're only 16 that's the problem

three words network , network , network :)

We splashed out last week so we'll have a cd to give out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on being a support act, I'd like to get a few support slots, but I don't know how to go about it? I don't have the time to organise a full blown gig, but I would like to be on stage!

Does anyone know what I mean? lol.

http://www.myspace.com/eilycoghlan

That's my site, I was preferably looking for a support slot over paddy's weekend, well, not necessarily the actually weekend but between the 15th and the 20th of March, one of those nights!

Any advice on how I would do this? See, I played in Voodoo Lounge and Eamonn Dorans a few times before but I always knew the bands and they'd asked me to play. However, I've since lost contact or the bands have split, so I don't have the contacts I used to!

I hope someone can help me out!

Eily :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 staccato41

eamon234 wrote:
    I agree with miju - mastering is essential and is worth every penny and get it done by someone who has a good track record and knows what they're doing and not some clapped out sound engineer who thinks he knows it all. Ask a few bands who have had work done and try and listen to the end result.
    Also avoid trying to do it yourself with a PC and some software nicked from the Net - bad idea!

of course when you do eventually get the perfect cd packaged and what not to your wildist dreams, which is the best option...give out freebees at gigs or sell them and for how much...
    anyone got any thoghts on this..
    out of my own experience in my band mannikin
    http://www.myspace.com/mannikinmusic
    we handed out 60 in one gig for free and got diddley squat feed back on our website or anything when manys a time we've sold 10 at a pub in our local town and got gigs and all out of it!

simple solution is:

sell the nicely packaged CD AND ONLY give it away to free if its someone of worth promoter , venue , media etc, etc

do a second CDR with white label printing etc to give away at gigs for free , put only 1 maybe 2 songs on it , make sure they're your best songs to whet the listeners appetite for more

visit www.mediawrite.ie , they have blue shells cases and 100 CDR's and labels for €60 for the lot. about 2 hours of burning songs etc and you have a very eye capturing (if your using the colored shell cases) pro looking freebie for less than half the price meaning you could double the amount you could normally give out with the same budget. it's all about maximum resources people :)

btw these are shell cases:

clear-c-shell.gifCSHELL_COLOURS.jpg

wrong forum for pimping sky-line , next time it'll be a swift ban

welcome to boards btw :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 okeeffed

Can you tell me what backline equipment i need for a live gig, ie does every musician need a monitor, and where i can rent stuff like mics? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

usually the in house will have a pa for you or if not....
    answer here
    how big is the venue how many will be in the audience? no definite correct answer

beg borrow that stuff i havent made loads cash gigging

Looking to get an all ages charity gig going in the cty centre in aid of Cystic Fibrosis, our drummer was born with it and we're always looking for ways to raise a few quid. Complete beginner in organising gigs.

I'm aware that all ages gigs cost a lot to run, any pointers?

it will be very hard to set up an all ages gig in a venue. pubs are either not interested because theres very little in revenue for them and / or leads to many complaints and hassle for the venue. TBMC used to be a regular all ages gig venue but they've banned them outright due to the amount of hassle

basically it'll be hard to set one up

I expected that.. :(

unfortunately this is one of the main reasons that the number of all ages gigs being run in both Dublin & around the rest of the country has dried up significantly

it can be done if you can convince the venue your well organised and are persistent and polite etc, etc

• Advertisement

Yeah its a shame, the city's crying out for all ages gigs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement