Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Graduate Area Manager... Am I mad?

Options
  • 13-07-2006 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I sent in a CV to ALDI not so long ago for the Area Manager Graduate Training Programme. Thinking nothing of it until today, I received a letter in the post. At first I thought it was a PFO, but I was suprised to see that they were giving me an interview (group one but shur wat the feck an interview is an interview). Thing is Ive heard some bad stories.... Has anyone been through the experience and came out the other end? Stories and experiences needed for this one folks....

Stephen

As well as that what should I expect in the group interview???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Nobody? there must be someone out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 snb

I got called for that group interview last year, they have one a month. At the time I was just finishing college and having doubts about my career path and saw the schekels involved with the company car and applied.

Anyway, could not believe I got called either as was only 22 at the time and 50K plus Audi was pretty tempting so I went. I was the youngest there by about 10 years, the other 9 people camed from all over literally, Japan, US, one promary school teacher, a lawyer from UK, 3 IT guys and me. Soem had a degree some didn't. Interview was tough- 3 hours and these well experienced people wiped the floor with me. I got a PFO the following week.

The company however sounded great, really straight down the line---- You work hard we pay you loads. im sure the hours would have been long but there is the working time act now. I thought of it as a great job for me for a few years, but I think they would burn you out. A very German attaitude, no waste, we plan, we buy, we sell, we make x profit. The role would definitely suit someone who liked to be in control.

In the longer term I suppose the question is do you see your career in retail ? I think they would be one of the best to work for , if so.

So what did the interview entail can you remember?

any more souls out there with a story to tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't have a story to tell but I do understand that the Aldi/Lidl jobs are quite sought after in Germany. The reason (and this is mostly my own view) is that these are strategically driven companies, not some sort of offshoot of a family business as many food retailers are (Fergal, I'm thinkin' of you.) And you have to hand it to Aldi and Lidl, they came to Ireland and they set about implementing the Plan.

The other thing I know about these companies is that learning German would need to be in your game plan if you are intending going further. If you hate languages, I would advise you to practice lying about it in front of the mirror before you go to the interview. Anyway, learning German shouldn't be a big deal. This is from what I have heard, not personal experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 snb

There were group exercises where you had to make decisions together, all 10 of you but you could not vote or show hands.

The hard part for me was a 3 minute speech on anything at all. Nota good public speaker and I messed it up. I need to prep for such things and I guess they didn't like that.

Thanks for that, got called for Lidl too...... interview in Newbridge for 5.30 on a wednesday. Yes half 5!!!! Im beginning to wonder about how easy it is to get interviews with these companies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jail8ird

Hi there

I have an interview with Aldi for Assistant Store Manager
    and I've been trawling thru Broads for some feedback on their
    interview style. I was wondering how you got on there and
    at Lidl ?

I'm coming from an IT background, no degree but 10 years
    working experience. Many people have recommended Aldi
    as a great employer, pays well as long as you work hard.
    I'm looking for something outside of Dublin and they seem
    to fit the bill, especially as they encourage non-retail types.
    As I found out speaking with some current Aldi managers,
    Aldi wants people who have not been corrupted the wrong
    way of retailing.

I've my interview next week and I'm told it'll be tough but
    their main interested in your people skills and how you
    handle stressful situations.

Ciao

J8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Lidl and ALdi = Works Hours 7am - 7pm or when store closes.

Anthing mroe than a weeks holiday is never give. The work the bejasus outa of you and the average staff turnaround is 2 years............

Dont say you aint been warned....................

Positives:- A big FOOK off car and decent salary, but in non PC terms they OWN you!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jail8ird

You seem very negative about them ?
    It has been stressed to me by a number of employees
    that you do work hard and working over your hours
    is frowned upon. But if you do you get hours back
    in lieu.

I'm not afraid of hard work and even if i only do 2 years
    their training program would be excellent experience.
    We'll see anyhow, ta.

J8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

do you get weekends off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

area managers no#

I'm not being negative, go blind to a store and ask yourself.......... I know 7 people who have gone through Lidl and ALdi and all have said the same...

Large Staff turnover is a reason of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Drapper wrote:
    Large Staff turnover is a reason of what?
    Off topic, but the place I work in has a high enough staff turnover. Mainly cos it has bare minimum wage. Also, some of the people who start don't seem to take the job very seriously, and end up getting sacked, or just leave.

I'm leaving my current job, as there's no raise in pay, or real promotion options. Maybe the same in Aldi, but I don't know.

Jail8ird wrote:
    Hi there

I have an interview with Aldi for Assistant Store Manager
    and I've been trawling thru Broads for some feedback on their
    interview style. I was wondering how you got on there and
    at Lidl ?

I'm coming from an IT background, no degree but 10 years
    working experience. Many people have recommended Aldi
    as a great employer, pays well as long as you work hard.
    I'm looking for something outside of Dublin and they seem
    to fit the bill, especially as they encourage non-retail types.
    As I found out speaking with some current Aldi managers,
    Aldi wants people who have not been corrupted the wrong
    way of retailing.

I've my interview next week and I'm told it'll be tough but
    their main interested in your people skills and how you
    handle stressful situations.

Ciao

J8

Lidl - pack of ****..... Two words for Lidl = "Burn out". Based on my experence of having an interview with them and from talking to a guy who was at the Aldi interview, I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. The pair of German twats who interview had as much personality as a dead fish. I mean the interview wasnt even structured :rolleyes: "Sell yourself" What? :confused: The girl did all the talking and the other guy just sat there looking at the wall not the least bit interested, how ignorant :rolleyes:

But I have to say Aldi sound like they actually care a bit for their staff, the group interview I went through was fairly chilled and was good craic. And fair play to them they covered my travel expenses which was cool. But TBH I dont have to worry about either of them ever again cause I have a job lined up in Bank of Ireland doing a job with less hassle and ****. :) Good luck with them and I hope you dont get the pair of dry ****es I had :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Flat

great money and a car but the thing that would put me off this job is you would go insane. think about it, if you are reasonably intelligent or articulate and have spent 4 years getting a degree, you are gonna want to interact with social equals on a daily basis. In this job you would be managing like 25 people working the floor who have limited education, are immigrants, students or the 'returning to work' brigade.

Now before anyone calls me racist, non pc or just a prick hear me out...

so your day to day will consist of telling people to do manual tasks and being generally despised for it because you pull 55k a year while they are on 7.65 an hour. Try finding a buddy in work in that situation or someone to have a bit of banter with. Furthermore and to add to my point, being a college boy or generally having some smarts about you (by virtue of the fact you got the job), you aint going to be stimulated in an enviroment were none of your colleagues have a similar educational background, interests or hobbies. This will be compounded by the fact you will be based in somewhere like dublin road, tuam and all your customers will be angry poles grunting at you to be shown the cheep european beer section of the supermarket

sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Flat wrote:
    great money and a car but the thing that would put me off this job is you would go insane. think about it, if you are reasonably intelligent or articulate and have spent 4 years getting a degree, you are gonna want to interact with social equals on a daily basis. In this job you would be managing like 25 people working the floor who have limited education, are immigrants, students or the 'returning to work' brigade.

so your day to day will consist of telling people to do manual tasks and being generally despised for it because you pull 55k a year while they are on 7.65 an hour. Try finding a buddy in work in that situation or someone to have a bit of banter with. Furthermore and to add to my point, being a college boy or generally having some smarts about you (by virtue of the fact you got the job), you aint going to be stimulated in an enviroment were none of your colleagues have a similar educational background, interests or hobbies. This will be compounded by the fact you will be based in somewhere like dublin road, tuam and all your customers will be angry poles grunting at you to be shown the cheep european beer section of the supermarket

sigh...

Mind boggles as to what you studied or more difficult to imagine what skills you claim to have acquired during 4 years at College.

Having no direct experience of the situation however IMO your expressed views reflect very poorly on you and would nonetheless warrant a BAN.

Mind boggles as to what you studied or more difficult to imagine what skills you claim to have acquired during 4 years at College.

Having no direct experience of the situation however IMO your expressed views reflect very poorly on you and would nonetheless warrant a BAN.

I think you should be banned for...
    a) misreading the post (I wasnt talking about my college education)
    b) poor grammar 'your expressed views reflect poorly on you'
    c) miss-use of capitals 'BAN', its not an abbreviation

and all that in two sentances... well done mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

oh noe.. this thread is doomed... two 06 posters talking about gramor :p

anyway, i went for an aldi interview and got the job, but the german guy in charge was such a prick, i never showed up on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Flat wrote:

sigh...

Flat, thanks for the synopsis, sounds like the voice of experience.

Did once consider applying for a similar role but was afraid it would turn out pretty much as you posted , which is why i'm now in a totally different area.

Sonnenblumen - if you have nothing to contribute..well please don't.....

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

No personal experience in this area, but i have thought about going for it for the craic, but have basically the same thoughs as Flat.

Our last Marketing Mnager worked in Lidl a few years ago and lasted 2 years until she totally burned out. The working day consists of at least 12 hours and more often than not it was 13- 14. If you have any friends and family that you enjoy seeing on a regular basis then its prolly not the job for you. But she did say it was a crash course in learning alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

No knowledge of aldi\lidl but a mate of mine worked as a manager in dunnes for years and worked 12+hours a day, 6 days a week and was getting paid about €20k less than what Aldi are affering and no car either.
    Know another girl working in Heatons and same story.

Basically when it comes to being any kind of a retail manager, from what i can gather, you can expect to be working 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week and not be able to take long holidays\days off when you want to.

The one thing i heard about being an Area manager with Aldi is you can also expect the above but be in 3 different stores each week so its even harder cause of all the driving involved.
    Money is good though compared to what other chains offer.

The other side of the coin is both these companies (aldi/lidl) are very well respected in the wider business community. They have of recent performed really well in a very tough industry. Someone correctly pointed out in an earlier post, they have a solid market entry strategy and executed it very effectively, which would lead you to believe they are a very smart and well managed outfit.

If you can put up with the 12 hour daily grind for a couple of years, and really set yourself apart from the other managers (which I supsect would be very tough) they would offer good prospects to move into strategy or operational management in another market etc etc

All in all, IMO you would want to be very committed, very hard working, very focussed and a very strong performer to make a career with these guys.

Also 55k is an extremely good salary for retail. I would imagine Dunnes or Tesco would pay you a fraction of that for a similar position, which they would call 'trainee'. I cant substantiate that though.

55k is also a very good salary compared to other industries. I worked as a product manager in telecoms for 4 years and was 20k shy of that salary. I would imagine they also offer shares in the company to management which can effectively double your annual salary. Company car will save you about 5k a year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

Aldo won't do Share options etc. as they are 100% privately owned... just fyi...

But great package they offer, and generally a good company to work for. Adding to another comment someone made about badly paid staff in the shops... even in the lower end Aldi and Lidl both pay far above minimum wage. AFAIK they pay 10.65 an hour for the cashiers vs 7.65 at tesco, Dunnes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fameosity

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas what I could talk about for 5 minutes in the Aldi group interviews, I just havnt got a clue. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

is the assitant store manager interview the same as the area managers job?what other types of things did they ask other than the 5 min presentation,I mean what can they ask for 3 hrs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

is the assitant store manager interview the same as the area managers job?what other types of things did they ask other than the 5 min presentation,I mean what can they ask for 3 hrs?

Assistant Store Manager job and Area Manager jobs are different, not least of all in the salary. Check out Aldi's site for details.

I had a Group Interview with them last month. There was no presentation. The time was filled with a debate, a group exercise, and some ability tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

stepbar wrote:
    Thanks for that, got called for Lidl too...... interview in Newbridge for 5.30 on a wednesday. Yes half 5!!!! Im beginning to wonder about how easy it is to get interviews with these companies.....

how did you interview go I had one last saturday group one I got missed call today from them dont know so if you unsucessful you getting letter or something thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

polaco wrote:
    how did you interview go I had one last saturday group one I got missed call today from them dont know so if you unsucessful you getting letter or something thanks

My post-interview PFO came in letter form ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

says you get 5 weeks holiday on the aldi site.
    Heard a horror story about someone who did one of these programs.. Don;t know if it was for aldi or lidl. Said they were working 60 hours a week and feeling extremely anxious every morning. Wonder which company it was, and how much of a difference there is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Advertisement