Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckfast Lane

Options
  • 03-08-2006 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have the pic of the market street sign when someone changed it to buckfast lane??? it was a proper road sign too. i've heard anout it but never seen a pic it was before i moved down :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

It was a proper sign alright. It was White Text with a picture of a bottle on a Brown Backgroung and it read "Buckfast Plaza". The sign was made from the proper vinyl too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I remember that actually. Was on April Fools day a few years ago, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Think it was April Fools Day alright. It was a classic. I think I know the guy who made it but he didn't put it up. I don't see him anymore but there is only two places in Galway that make those signs.

Slightly going off topic but I believe there is more Buckfast sold in Galway than any other place in the country ?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah it's our favourite "brew", we certainly have the record for the most bottles of Buckfast lying on our main city's river...reminds me of some yobbo who said his favourrite drink was Buckfast and Malibu = Malifast....

• Advertisement

yuck i'll stick to the buckie and red bull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Sit at the arch with your legs hanging over the water. Now turn 10 degrees around. Look at the apartments straight ahead. The roof of them. See the two big knobbly extensions with windows on them? The right hand one? The sign is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

sgthighway wrote:
    Slightly going off topic but I believe there is more Buckfast sold in Galway than any other place in the country ?????????????
    apparently equal place with Glasgow for most sold worldwide.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

galwayrush wrote:
    apparently equal place with Glasgow for most sold worldwide.:eek:

yeah spot it in the film trainspotting?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I think for "Most sold" in one area, it's Glasgow, Edinburgh, Galway, but per capita, we are/were the highest consumers of the juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I think Belfast is pretty much up there for consumption too...

p.s. Trainspotting was set in Edinburgh not Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What's with this Buckfast stuff anyway ?

Does it taste nice,is it cheap or what ?

I remember when I was a kid(many decades ago :eek: ) it was advertised on TV - 'made by the monks at Buckfast Abbey'

Since I gave up drinking many years ago I've no intention of trying it myself...so enlighten me please :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Get me a bigger photo of that sign! Can barely read it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I remember when I was a kid(many decades ago :eek: ) it was advertised on TV - 'made by the monks at Buckfast Abbey'

Since I gave up drinking many years ago I've no intention of trying it myself...so enlighten me please :)

Well its not something you would reach for if you were looking for a tasty beverage but for a quick ,relatively cheap buzz its great stuff.The more you drink it the more you get used to it and in no time at all you'll be having at least one every weekend.I drank it for a good number of years but it takes its tole on me now so i dont bother anymore,a bottle shared is enough for me now.Its a pretty unique buzz,full of beans,energetic kind of drunk nothing like beer at all,in fact the complete opposite.
    The last drop is the worst,gives me the shivers even thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

I think Belfast is pretty much up there for consumption too...

p.s. Trainspotting was set in Edinburgh not Glasgow

true... and the Buckfast is in a London scene

cough syrup is the closest taste i can think of

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It is like a tonic, god it's so good.

dammit i might get a bottle now... all this talk is getting me thirsty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Padi/Dannie/Tar- thanks for the ..am...insights...:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

A bottle shared? ****, who'd share a bottle?

And it's definitely not cheap. You'll get a v nice bottle of wine for a tenner, or a bottle of poitin if you can find it. Cheap drink is a bottle of Nobleman, about 3 quid, or any German wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It is also a symbol of student/bum life...

ie; the more empty bottles you have lying around your house when friends come to visit, the more impressed they are. Rarely will they verbalise it, but yeah... impressed!

It makes you look.... dare i say it? Hardcore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

For ultimate buzz mix with a bottle of vodka in a bowl. Then add a bottle of Calpol(the nice kind) and ~4 big spoons of sugar. Refill back into ~3 bottles, then add a pack of Skittles to each. Let the Skittles dissolve some then enjoy. You now have a White Rabbit (thus christend cos the guy who invented this saw a massive one all night the first time he tried the concoction)
    Trust me you will need nothing else to drink all night and will keep going till morning.:D :D

wet-paint wrote:

And it's definitely not cheap. You'll get a v nice bottle of wine for a tenner, or a bottle of poitin if you can find it. Cheap drink is a bottle of Nobleman, about 3 quid, or any German wine.

it isn't that expensive, less than 9 quid a bottle and you usually will get the can of red bull included for less than a tenner.
    kevmy wrote:
    For ultimate buzz mix with a bottle of vodka in a bowl. Then add a bottle of Calpol(the nice kind) and ~4 big spoons of sugar. Refill back into ~3 bottles, then add a pack of Skittles to each. Let the Skittles dissolve some then enjoy. You now have a White Rabbit (thus christend cos the guy who invented this saw a massive one all night the first time he tried the concoction)
    Trust me you will need nothing else to drink all night and will keep going till morning.:D :D

you were the one that seen the rabbit weren't you? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

wet-paint wrote:

Its normally done if there has already been a good few beers drank your half croaked and you and a mate fancy one, but one each would have you on your arses.Its just to get the old caffine buzz into ya to keep you going through the night.
    For example Sun night after being on the piss all week during the races i could barely have a conversation with anyone in our group as i was just so shattered,so was a mate.I knew a bottle of B would sort me out but a full one was just too much for the stomach to take after a weeks drinking, so a mate and i just got a bottle between us two paper cups and Hey Presto a half hour later we're flying again.
    Its got absolutley nothing to do with the price of it ,im drinking it since the days of the Castle and Vagabonds in Salthill so i havent all of a sudden become a stingy cnut.
    Its not something i do often but its certainly perked me up many a night and i would have no problem in doing so again.
    Does it make you less of a man to do this? ...grrrrrr....or is it just not up there with the cool police?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Quite the delectiable beverage, but eats your stomach up like a bottle of sulpheric acid. Also you get rank hangovers from them... well I do anyway.

Still, I'll never knock it.... except if you mean knock it back... cause then.. i probably won't do that either!

danniemcq wrote:
    you were the one that seen the rabbit weren't you? :p

No no i didn't see a rabbit a mate did but i did see a rather fetching pig with blue polka dots.

Blue pig reminded us of the guards so white rabbit it was :D:D:D

Quite the delectiable beverage, but eats your stomach up like a bottle of sulpheric acid. Also you get rank hangovers from them... well I do anyway.

Calpol in above recipe cures the hangover as you drink so do that and ye should be grand. Well thats our theory anyway.:rolleyes:

and how much calpol would one have to drink before od'n especially when mixed with alcohol. i know calpol isn't that bad but it can't be that good either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've only ever taken one sip of buckfast in my entire life and I was nearly violently ill. And I was pretty locked already by that stage, I normally would drink anything at that point...

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote:
    and how much calpol would one have to drink before od'n especially when mixed with alcohol. i know calpol isn't that bad but it can't be that good either...

It's just the under6 stuff you could probably drink a few pints of stuff to feel any effect at all. Actually thats a good idea somebody should start slugging Calpol and see how much they can drink before they pass out .

Any volunteers??:D

Advertisement