Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Site for Rating Solicitors

Options
  • 12-09-2006 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

I happened across an Irish web site during the course of work and was wondering what all you legals think of it.

It seems that on this site, anyone can post a comment (good or bad) about a solicitor and give them a star rating or an avoid rating.

I would have thought that some of the things said in the site could border on libellous and considering who the site is actually aimed at it wouldn't be long before some sort of action was taken against the site.

I won't post the url but I'm sure at least some of you would have come across it.

I Just wonder what you all think of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

work in the legal end myself.can you even hint at the website as I would love take a look.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The website in question is www.rateyoursolicitor.com. There's no need to worry about posting the link as its so widely known now & has featured in newspapers & most recently a radio show with Joe whatshisface (See here)

It pretty much a libel-fest. There's a few genuine comments but to be honest with the self promotion, the disgruntled punters from the losing side of a litigation matter and the disgruntled former employees, you would be crazy to take anything seriously, good or bad.

There's some test cases in the works. If I were certain persons or indeed the operators of that site, I would be seriously looking to (a) vest my assets in my wife and/or (b) find a wife so as to (a) aforesaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

I looked through my local solicitors and there are very few ratings as yet, many individuals are rated on a single vote and I wouldn't trust the comments either way. Once there are a few hundred ratings per solicitor it might mean something, but at present it is worthless.
    Maximilian wrote:
    I would be seriously looking to (a) vest my assets in my wife

I imagine it is at best just a delaying tactic, even if you vest assets in children in fulltime education. Not that my wife is in fulltime education or I'm being sued or anything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think that once it is based offshore then Irish libel laws don't apply. The site ratemyteacher had a lucky escape thru this avenue of offshore hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

I love the way pretty much all the judges have "AVOID" beside their names.

It seems like good advice! :)

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    I love the way pretty much all the judges have "AVOID" beside their names.

It seems like good advice! :)
    Roffle. :D

The taxing master doesn't come off too well. I can't see this site lasting.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Bond-007 wrote:
    I think that once it is based offshore then Irish libel laws don't apply. The site ratemyteacher had a lucky escape thru this avenue of offshore hosting.

You're right there but thats why they are test cases. There is some authority in the UK I believe, where people have been successfully sued for defamatory comments on US Websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Maximilian wrote:
    You're right there but thats why they are test cases. There is some authority in the UK I believe, where people have been successfully sued for defamatory comments on US Websites.

Check out the link below of a transcript between Pat Kenny (RTE) & Ken Murphy (Law Society), debating this website, pretty predictable tbh!

http://www.lawsociety.ie/documents/news/rtetrans.pdf

The site is no more. Taken down by a high court order. I am surprised.

Bond-007 wrote:
    The site is no more. Taken down by a high court order. I am surprised.

The home page has been taken offline, but I am still able to read regional lists and individual entries - a bit like ripping the cover off and selling the contents! Of course you don't expect legal action to keep pace with technology.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's an article in the independent about this today. Apparently the site is facing being shut down because of libel.

I think I may have to snip the link/name of the site.

The site is still up and they have now added a forum.

I don't think you need snip the link. After all the Irish Times has published the URL as have it seems, the Independent.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Agreed. The difference is that we're linking the site. It's slightly more direct that way. However, it's become slightly more interesting now that there's been a case on it!

Will be interesting to see what the effect the lawyers will say this has on free speech on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭focusing

Some of the words used include "crook" and "liar" and since the site hosts won't be able to use the posters' cases to prove justification, you can't help but feel they're about to be on the losing end of a legal bloodbath.

There's a name and address in Ireland in the "contact us" section of the website, which I'd say has received a plenary summons or two.

If the website is controlled from Ireland, those doing the controlling can be held to account here.

One problem is that no-one will want the negative publicity of taking the first case.

Whatever about the litigation question, the accuracy of the site has to be questioned. Some of the solicitors seem to have been targeted by a single individual who has put up multiple negative reviews, which hardly gives a fair picture of them.

Have they removed the content as directed by the High court?

With or without reference to this specific instance, can anyone indicate the consequences of publishing a website that another deems defamatory? What costs would be incurred and of what order? Would they have to be paid into court before the truth or otherwise of the alleged libel was determined? Does it cost to have an injunction slapped on you? Would there be any cost if the alleged libel was ultimately found to be true?

(I know the advice is not to put yourself in this position in the first place, but assuming you felt you felt righteous enough to wish to publish a statement knowing the subject of that statement would protest)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Bond-007 wrote:

RateYourSolicitor was not so lucky. GoDaddy blocked access to the site last night after receiving an injunction from the High Court in Dublin.
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1689617&issue_id=14654

Although I would imagine that they could have easily told them to get lost.

I would have thought it obvious that creating a site like that would lead to avenues being explored to take it down more quickly given the job of the people it criticises.

Incidently I saw a solicitor I've used on there with very bitchy comments about him.
    All are relatively true in my experience,the accuracy of the comments actually surprised me-BUT I'd still use that solicitor because he gets the job done and done well.
    His personal nature is to cut to the chase and when I'm speaking to him,I cut off his cut off immedietly and say look here are the important points,1234 and then decide on the course of action.
    It's not a very affable style but,in reality its ability and capability that matter.

Many of the comments on that site probably are(because they can be) from a solicitors opponents.I dont know how it is moderated but some method should be used to establish what the motives of the poster are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/16/1741242&from=rss

Slashdot article on the issue. Interesting cross jurisdictional issues here!

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/78436

Indymedia article here, "Internet freedom", that (perhaps inappropriately) fills in some of the blanks missing from other media coverage.

• Advertisement

So the site is still operating. LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

Does anyone know the exact wording of the order of Judge Hannah? Or the record number of the proceedings?

That could potentially be contempt... The Indymedia article contains text from the administrator who seems clearly to be in knowledge of the order and also that the site is still up and running

Shocking carry on, where they are openly defying a high court judge. :eek:

The offending comment is still in place. I reckon someone will be going to jail in the next few days.

I wonder could Indy media now be joined the proceedings as it is carrying instructions on how to access the material in question?

Indymedia have had it coming for a long time, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were joined in the proceedings against this site. They tend to print biased views on real-world news and this is a good example of it.

However, they won't be joined, because it wouldn't do much good.

Advertisement