Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Bubble Bursting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

"The slump" will take years to play out, if you read back on the thread you will see that no one is saying that will will wake up one morning to find prices have dropped 50% overnight or even in a short time frame. Estimates vary from 3 to 9 years before we start to see prices begin to rise in real terms. Much of the reduction in prices will come in the form of price stagnation with inflation reducing the relative net worth of property.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Kipperhell wrote:
    5 months on from this thread being started makes me wonder if all the doom and gloom being spoke about has come true. As far as I can see the answer is simply no!
    Nothing that could be called an actual slump in the market has happened. Prices have gone down but that is not a slump. I personally believe the stamp duty issue being resolved shortly will have a big effect and I doubt that it will cause prices to drop when it done.
    How long now before there will be a 40-50% drop from 12-06?
    How do you define a slump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BlackIguana

Kipperhell wrote:
    5 months on from this thread being started makes me wonder if all the doom and gloom being spoke about has come true. As far as I can see the answer is simply no!
    Nothing that could be called an actual slump in the market has happened. Prices have gone down but that is not a slump. I personally believe the stamp duty issue being resolved shortly will have a big effect and I doubt that it will cause prices to drop when it done.

I don't agree with this.

The slump in housing prices is happening before our eyes.

Prices are unwinding slowly. These first reductions are important - as they hit the press the irish psyche towards house prices will change. There are a lot of people out there who hitherto simply believed that house prices couldn't go down.

0.8% reduction in a month is significant. -€2.5 off the average house!! It hardly makes you want to do out and buy a house does it? As people 'wait and see' the inventory of houses for sale will grow and grow....

House prices are quite 'sticky' on the way down, developers/sellers do everything they can to keep them up. Also as Gurramok says above there a lot of extra freebies being thrown in these days, so the 'real reductions' in prices are likely to be more substantial.

I expect that this price correction will take 2/3 years to fully manifest itself.

ps. I should say that I have a bet with PP that prices will grow down in 2007 so I'm openly biased.....

Hope you put the house on it Blackiguana! :D

One gaff around the corner from me has been on the market for about 6 or 7 months now.

It's in a really nice estate with a new hotel and leisure centre on the doorstep. Started at €475,000 or €485,000 then went to excess €450,000 now it's "Property of the week" for about the third time in the local rag quoting €430,000.

No sign of anything moving at the moment and the situation is unlikely to change especially with interest rates rises coming down the road...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Possibly some farmers from Afghanistan... Or Colombia...

Yes, we have the most expensive farming land in Europe- at last count its about 6 times more expensive here than the next most expensive country, which is Luxembourg. I'm sure thats not coffee you have in mind in Columbia :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Let me clarify for some people.
    Many many people who posted here claim the bubble burst which is to say that the market deflated quickly. It hasn't 5 months on.
    If the market slowly adjusts over a period of year or longer it still can't be said to have burst. That would be a leveling out.
    As for "sticky" prices that basically means no bursting bubble especially considering there has been a lot of doubt and speculation about stamp duty.
    As far as I can see the people who spoke about impending doom 5 months ago have yet to be proven right. So I am wondering how long left now before they expect a massive drop? Why hasn't it happen like they claimed it would with investors fleeing on mass. Could it be they were simply wrong?

Could the bubble not deflate relative to the rest of the economy simply by standing still? One thing is for sure. Residential property isn't increasing in price anymore, harpooning the investment argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Slicknik

homah_7ft wrote:
    Could the bubble not deflate relative to the rest of the economy simply by standing still? One thing is for sure. Residential property isn't increasing in price anymore, harpooning the investment argument.

Well according to this article in RTE the house prices in Dublin increased by 0.1%. Not much but it indicates that there's still a strong demand for houses in certain areas.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0530/houses.html?rss

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kipperhell wrote:
    Many many people who posted here claim the bubble burst which is to say that the market deflated quickly. It hasn't 5 months on.
    If the market slowly adjusts over a period of year or longer it still can't be said to have burst. That would be a leveling out.
    As for "sticky" prices that basically means no bursting bubble especially considering there has been a lot of doubt and speculation about stamp duty.
    As far as I can see the people who spoke about impending doom 5 months ago have yet to be proven right. So I am wondering how long left now before they expect a massive drop? Why hasn't it happen like they claimed it would with investors fleeing on mass. Could it be they were simply wrong?

To put it in its most simple form, bubbles are round, there's a slope going up and a slope going down, it took us about 10 years to get were we were at the peak, it probably will be faster down, but no housing market ever in history totally collapsed in five months!!
    Housing bubbles do bust but more like a slow puncture than anything, but that's what a housing bubble is.
    Its going faster than I thought it would to be honest, but I still expect prices to be falling at least up to three years from now. Make no mistake about it, the housing bubble is bursting no matter how deep some punters heads are dug into the sand.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Slicknik wrote:
    Well according to this article in RTE the house prices in Dublin increased by 0.1%. Not much but it indicates that there's still a strong demand for houses in certain areas.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0530/houses.html?rss
    How does that compare with inflation? Would that be a relative drop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dochasach

Kipperhell wrote:

I posted bearish predictions on a related thread more than a year ago and I still stand by them, but I don't think many people here ever predicted an overnight "pop" that you would see and hear as you might with a Chinese stock bubble. In fact even many of us bears were shocked at the speed with which the change from "property always goes up Up UP!" sentiment to "err uhh, buy me a beer and let's talk about something else..." I'll also admit that I probably underestimated the magnitude of the problems that will be caused by the fallout from one of the largest asset bubbles the world has ever seen.

Here is what happens. You try to sell your house for 10% more than what you paid and back in 2001-2006. A couple years back you might have easily got 20% more back when demand far exceeded supply. But some of that demand was speculative and some of that demand was based on fear of rising prices and some of that demand was caused by historically low interest rates. Now look at daftwatch.atspace.com or the 80,000 houses built this year or the 250,000 houses sitting empty or the rows of for sale signs in your neighborhood and tell me that a house is a rare find.

If you care not to call it a slump or crash thats fine, but unless you've priced below the other houses your neighborhood, don't expect to sell it immediately. So you drop it to 10% above market, then you drop it to "break-even" price. (If you pretend that no inflation happened since you bought it and ignore mortgage interest, the house still seems to have been a good investment.) And now you are only competing with all of the other houses in your neighborhood who are priced at market.

"Fine", you might say, "I can wait." And so you do, as do many others in your neighborhood, convinced that infinite continuance of this easy-money boom is just around the corner. But something happens, someone loses his/her job, can't make rising ARM payments, gets divorced, dies or meets another emergency that forces them to sell their house, so they price their house below market.. And it doesn't sell, or maybe it does but either way potential buyers are no longer in a panic to buy, so they wait and sooner or later another house becomes available below market (daftwatch is up over 40,000 homes now), this time its a builder who can easily cut his profit margin and who has the "no stamp duty" advantage brought to him by our developer-owned government. The builder also throws in a car, so it's a no-brainer for that buyer. You wait a while, sure those two houses went below market, but not yours by God. But then someone else decides to sell up and move to Luszanne, Switzerland where property is less expensive. They find a buyer in just a few days but with high interest rates and tighter lending standards, the buyer doesn't qualify. Another potential buyers says "screw it" and moves to Australia, a 3rd moves back to Poland because his construction company laid him off. A few weeks later another buyer comes along and your neighbor settles for 20% below what you paid. They're in a hurry and they bought in 1995 so they can take the hit. Your house remains on the market, the screws in the for sale sign are getting a bit rusty but eventually it will sell. And so it goes... This is why the property slump in Tokyo lasted more than 15 years (so far), and why a slump isn't something that will appear in your daily weather report.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Kipperhell wrote:

just move the goalposts why dont ye. first its prices will not fall now its not a slump even though prices are now falling :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

homah_7ft wrote:
    How does that compare with inflation? Would that be a relative drop?

That would be a .1% rise in house prices (in a particular locality) compared to an inflation rate of 4.6%- that is a net decrease in asset value of about 4.5%..... Then again, most people prefer not to look at the inflation rate......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Kipperhell wrote:

If a developer offers to pay your mortgage for a year thats about a €20k reduction but the sale price stays the exact same even though its effectively a 20k reduction thats what people mean by sticky
    Kipperhell wrote:

Firstly, your not being fair in what you say as if you have read what epole have said in this thread you will have seen that most if not all posters say this will play out over the course of at the very least 2-3 years. Though credit where its due its a nice turn on the you've been saying the market will bomb for 5 years now :)

Also over 40% of the market has already disappeared guess who made that 40% up....give you a clue they know how to turn a proft ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Slicknik

smccarrick wrote:
    That would be a .1% rise in house prices (in a particular locality) compared to an inflation rate of 4.6%- that is a net decrease in asset value of about 4.5%..... Then again, most people prefer not to look at the inflation rate......

Maybe that's because most people buy houses to live in and not as investments. Inflaiton will generally make the mortgage easier to pay (as salaries tend to increase as well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pipraider

Trouble with bubbles is...They can last for very Long Time too...especially when all af world's central banks have their printing presses operating flat out day and night...

-d-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭babytooth

Slicknik wrote:
    Maybe that's because most people buy houses to live in and not as investments. Inflaiton will generally make the mortgage easier to pay (as salaries tend to increase as well).

thats a very simplistic idea.

first you are assuming that wages increase at the same rate as general inflation. Not the case at the moment.

Also,whilst wage inflation in the past was somewhat possible due to isolated markets, the increase in globalisation will ensure that the price of traded goods stay competitive and as such the labour for them will stay the same.

So, I'd estimate that wages will stagnate or decline in Ireland over the next 10 years. Certainly the average wage will as construction tanks and tax takes causes the reduction in the benchmarking process...

Yeah, prices of all assets are mean-reverting, Houses will return to the norm, when, no one knows, but we can certainly state that the odds are starting to stack up against any more price gains, leading to price reductions.

Want to play the kids game of risk, but this time, instead of just getting knuckles on the back of your hand, you get a 300k plus headache for the next 35 years!!!...risky indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Do-more wrote:
    Hope you put the house on it Blackiguana! :D

One gaff around the corner from me has been on the market for about 6 or 7 months now.

It's in a really nice estate with a new hotel and leisure centre on the doorstep. Started at €475,000 or €485,000 then went to excess €450,000 now it's "Property of the week" for about the third time in the local rag quoting €430,000.

No sign of anything moving at the moment and the situation is unlikely to change especially with interest rates rises coming down the road...

Hmmmmm three properties in our estate (of 40) sold in the last three months.
    All went for the asking price and were only on the market max two-three months.
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think there is a conception that if you think there is a crash you also think no-one is buying anything this is not the case.

Sometimes as people have said its your home and if you need a bigger one and you can afford to take the hit for a few years. Then it maybe a small price to pay for getting the house you want at a price you can afford.

Take mathie above , the estate your in could have a high quality of house in a desirable area. These houses will fare better than others but will still suffer the side effects as people are stagnated in worse propertys they cant sell. This weakens the market as a whole and it takes time for this to materialise.

As for the argument that its not a bubble and its not bursting well come this time next year if we are not at drop nationwide of at least 8% approx I would be very surprised. We are entering the Big summer selling season. I sold a house this tme last year and there was an abundance of viewers and bidders.

That is not the case now, my house was sold after three weeks of bidding in total it was for sale for a month. The same house selling for asking price after 2-3 months IMO is a drop.

Asking prices are always under what the seller expects and are there to generate interest.

I know if I had sold then for asking I would not be happy.
    Whereas now if I got my asking I would be happy
    thats 25k drop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dochasach wrote:
    Here is what happens. You try to sell your house for 10% more than what you paid and back in 2001-2006. A couple years back you might have easily got 20% more back when demand far exceeded supply. But some of that demand was speculative and some of that demand was based on fear of rising prices and some of that demand was caused by historically low interest rates. Now look at daftwatch.atspace.com or the 80,000 houses built this year or the 250,000 houses sitting empty or the rows of for sale signs in your neighborhood and tell me that a house is a rare find.

If you care not to call it a slump or crash thats fine, but unless you've priced below the other houses your neighborhood, don't expect to sell it immediately. So you drop it to 10% above market, then you drop it to "break-even" price. (If you pretend that no inflation happened since you bought it and ignore mortgage interest, the house still seems to have been a good investment.) And now you are only competing with all of the other houses in your neighborhood who are priced at market.

"Fine", you might say, "I can wait." And so you do, as do many others in your neighborhood, convinced that infinite continuance of this easy-money boom is just around the corner. But something happens, someone loses his/her job, can't make rising ARM payments, gets divorced, dies or meets another emergency that forces them to sell their house, so they price their house below market.. And it doesn't sell, or maybe it does but either way potential buyers are no longer in a panic to buy, so they wait and sooner or later another house becomes available below market (daftwatch is up over 40,000 homes now), this time its a builder who can easily cut his profit margin and who has the "no stamp duty" advantage brought to him by our developer-owned government. The builder also throws in a car, so it's a no-brainer for that buyer. You wait a while, sure those two houses went below market, but not yours by God. But then someone else decides to sell up and move to Luszanne, Switzerland where property is less expensive. They find a buyer in just a few days but with high interest rates and tighter lending standards, the buyer doesn't qualify. Another potential buyers says "screw it" and moves to Australia, a 3rd moves back to Poland because his construction company laid him off. A few weeks later another buyer comes along and your neighbor settles for 20% below what you paid. They're in a hurry and they bought in 1995 so they can take the hit. Your house remains on the market, the screws in the for sale sign are getting a bit rusty but eventually it will sell. And so it goes... This is why the property slump in Tokyo lasted more than 15 years (so far), and why a slump isn't something that will appear in your daily weather report.

dochasach, I find it unbelieve that some people just can't grasp this basic concept.
    Also noticing lots of people clutching at straws.
    Slicknik wrote:

But maybe your salary doesn't increase because your employer can no longer compete with cheaper imports or can no longer export to other countries because his products are too dear.
    Have you ever heard of a wage freeze, have you ever heard of three day week?
    Maybe your employer decides to move to lower cost, low inflation economy and you become unemployed.

Everything does not rapidly increase in monetary value in life, the economy that we have experienced over last 10 years is not the norm.
    There are peaks and their are troughs, if you peak too high or reach the peak too quickly there is often a correction back to more normal level. You get a bubble, followed by slowdown and a burst.
    Compare our property values to other countries.
    Why should our property valeus be multiples of some other countries property values ?
    What is the basis for our growth over last 5 years. It has been the provision of residential property, supply now exceeds demand and what usually happens after that ?

Name one country, one economy that is primarily based on provision of property, the construction of buildings?
    Oh yeah that would be us, Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

jmayo wrote:
    Name one country, one economy that is primarily based on provision of property, the construction of buildings?
    Oh yeah that would be us, Ireland.
    Spain also has about 20% of its GDP coming from construction too. This is probably just as unsustainable as our own economy though so I can imagine a huge bust there as well in the near future.

EDIT: Actually I just realized that that 20% of GDP figure includes all types of construction (infrastructural as well as residential/commercial). Spain has a huge amount of infrastructural work going on at the moment, so jmayo is right in that Ireland stands alone with such a high level of dependance on the construction of buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dochasach

Afuera wrote:
    Spain also has about 20% of its GDP coming from construction too. This is probably just as unsustainable as our own economy though so I can imagine a huge bust there as well in the near future.

One interesting difference is that a considerable fraction of recent buying in Spain is from outside Spain (e.g. Ireland), for holiday and speculative homes whereas AFAIK, relatively few Irish homes are being purchased by non-resident non-Irish. Some people occasionally blame non-Irish residents for this housing bubble, but this ignores the fact that Polish workers generally contributed more to the supply of houses and demand for house rentals (which obviously have not risen in price as steeply as purchased houses.)

When the people of Spain protested high house prices a few months ago, its fortunate for us that they were unaware that much of this problem was caused by Irish and British landholders and speculators. But here, it's almost purely a home-grown problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Another interesting point is that rents have been going up in Spain in line with house prices. Unlike here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Slicknik wrote:

That's not taking into account how low interest rates still are. I'm 1 year into a 3 year fixed rate, with the interest rate rises since I agreed my mortgage and the ones that are expected to come I could see a 25% rise to my monthly payments in two years time. It's unlikley that mine or my husband's salary will have risen by 25% by then, in fact we will be hoping to start a family so my salary will be gone and we will have another mouth to feed.

Long-term inflation will most likely make the payments easier to pay, but it could be 10-15 years before we really see the positive effects of that.

mathie wrote:
    Hmmmmm three properties in our estate (of 40) sold in the last three months.
    All went for the asking price and were only on the market max two-three months.
    M

Where about's are you Matie? If your thinking about selling yourself I'd act now!

There are 3 houses for sale in a similar size estate up the road from me and there is no sign of movement, one is on the market since September last and hasn't had a viewing since January! The others are on since October and January.

I'm in Mullingar BTW.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭VoidStarNull

The TSB/ESRI house price index report focuses on changes in prices...
    press coverage also has focused exclusively on prices and there
    has been no mention (that I have seen) of the level of throughput in
    the market.

This could be very misleading since the market is obviously failing to
    clear big-time... showing that current prices do not reflect an efficient
    market price.

Data on mortgage drawdowns shows a 20% fall in drawdowns by FTBs
    and a 12% fall overall (both figures are year-on-year so the recent rate
    of decline is presumably higher). See:
    www.fxcentre.com/monthly/200704_IrishHousingMarketMonthly.pdf

That would seem to confirm serious loss of market throughput.

Equivalent press coverage for a similar situation affecting the whole
    economy would read, "GNP falls 20% - but don't worry! Prices remain high!"
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Iristxo

I am in a highly desirable area of Dublin south with 3 bed semis scoring between 550K and 650K depending on proximity to the shopping centre, better stablished areas, etc.

My state is not the most desirable but certainly not the least. This time last year:

- 3-bed semis were scoring bout 595K. At any given time there was one for sale tops, sometimes none. Properties never stayed in the market more than 2 months or so. You would have expected to pay between 725K and 800K for a four-bed in my state. All of these were asking prices and all sellers would have expected to get more than this.
    - The situation a year later: In my state, where there was one or no 3-beds for sale now there is 4 (state has about 400 houses). Asking prices are between 565 and 595 (reckon they would have to sell for less than 565 if they really wanted to sell). There is one stubborn seller that has had his house for sale stubbornly at 595. It has been on the market for nearly 7 months now.
    - 4-beds are now between 695K and 725K. There was one recetly (one of the worst ones, quite small) with an asking price of 600K. That’s 5k more than the 3-beds’ asking price the year before! This particular 4-bed for 600K flew off the market in just a few weeks.
    - On the other hand, there was one particular case of a very big detached 5-bed that was put on the market last year for 1.1M. It took 8 months to sell it and price went down twice. In the end, the owners had to get over 20% less than they would have gotten had they sold at the peak of the property bubble. They “lost” over a quarter of a million. The new owners have not moved in yet. They’re my neighbours, that’s how I know all this.
    - Similar states but less-desirable, had last year 3-beds scoring between 550 and 560K, depending on the particular property. Now they range between 495K and 535K.
    - Have been monitoring the property market for a while now. If you were looking for a 3-bed house or more in my area last year you were getting around 20 results back in myhome.ie. For the last few months this has been increasing slowly. When I started monitoring this thread there was a bit over 30. A few weeks before the election there was more than 40. Now there’s more than 50 (54 to be exact).
    - There’s about 3500 houses in this whole area (small). I know this for fact cos I was sent the figures when doing a leaflet distribution for my business. At the moment, there are 4 housing states under construction, one of them with planning permission for 1000 houses (nearly all of them built already) and another one (don’t know if they have started it yet) for a whooping 5000 houses. This two states will both belong to my area and will have, between them, nearly double the amount of houses there is in the area at the moment.

Of course all of this is anecdotal evidence and I won’t provide links.

Note: excuse the typos, it's late at night and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Do-more wrote:
    Where about's are you Matie? If your thinking about selling yourself I'd act now!

There are 3 houses for sale in a similar size estate up the road from me and there is no sign of movement, one is on the market since September last and hasn't had a viewing since January! The others are on since October and January.

I'm in Mullingar BTW.

I'm in Bray. Just off the Boghall Road. Not sure if it's a trend in the general area though!
    M

• Advertisement

Iristxo wrote:
    I am in a highly desirable area of Dublin south with 3 bed semis scoring between 550K and 650K depending on proximity to the shopping centre, better stablished areas, etc.

My state is not the most desirable but certainly not the least. This time last year:

- 3-bed semis were scoring bout 595K. At any given time there was one for sale tops, sometimes none. Properties never stayed in the market more than 2 months or so. You would have expected to pay between 725K and 800K for a four-bed in my state. All of these were asking prices and all sellers would have expected to get more than this.
    - The situation a year later: In my state, where there was one or no 3-beds for sale now there is 4 (state has about 400 houses). Asking prices are between 565 and 595 (reckon they would have to sell for less than 565 if they really wanted to sell). There is one stubborn seller that has had his house for sale stubbornly at 595. It has been on the market for nearly 7 months now.
    - 4-beds are now between 695K and 725K. There was one recetly (one of the worst ones, quite small) with an asking price of 600K. That’s 5k more than the 3-beds’ asking price the year before! This particular 4-bed for 600K flew off the market in just a few weeks.
    - On the other hand, there was one particular case of a very big detached 5-bed that was put on the market last year for 1.1M. It took 8 months to sell it and price went down twice. In the end, the owners had to get over 20% less than they would have gotten had they sold at the peak of the property bubble. They “lost” over a quarter of a million. The new owners have not moved in yet. They’re my neighbours, that’s how I know all this.
    - Similar states but less-desirable, had last year 3-beds scoring between 550 and 560K, depending on the particular property. Now they range between 495K and 535K.
    - Have been monitoring the property market for a while now. If you were looking for a 3-bed house or more in my area last year you were getting around 20 results back in myhome.ie. For the last few months this has been increasing slowly. When I started monitoring this thread there was a bit over 30. A few weeks before the election there was more than 40. Now there’s more than 50 (54 to be exact).
    - There’s about 3500 houses in this whole area (small). I know this for fact cos I was sent the figures when doing a leaflet distribution for my business. At the moment, there are 4 housing states under construction, one of them with planning permission for 1000 houses (nearly all of them built already) and another one (don’t know if they have started it yet) for a whooping 5000 houses. This two states will both belong to my area and will have, between them, nearly double the amount of houses there is in the area at the moment.

Of course all of this is anecdotal evidence and I won’t provide links.

Note: excuse the typos, it's late at night and all that :)

state?
    ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement