Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[REQUEST] Cheap DVD HD recorder

• 30-12-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a good cheap DVD HD recorder preferably 160GB or better.
    The best I have seen so far is a Philips 160gB with Divx for €319 in DID

Anyone seen better?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I am looking for a good cheap DVD HD recorder preferably 160GB or better.
    The best I have seen so far is a Philips 160gB with Divx for €319 in DID

Anyone seen better?
    Thanks

I doubt you'd get much better than that - enough of a saving to justify going out of your way, that is.

I bought an LG unit (RH178) from komplett a few weeks ago. It was €299 and P&P brought the price to €311. The day after I placed the order they increased the base price by €50 ;). It doesn't have HDMI but I think I'm a couple of years off needing one that is.

So far so good - it's scary how much the available space remaining has reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1485
    £170 delivered,about €255 .
    Great machine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Great machine .

Have you bought from them?
    Does this have videoplus?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,408 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Great machine .

says they don't post outside uk, anyone no if this is true
    anybody have experience with the 160gb magnavox dvrs in powercity (240e) or dixons http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-17-PV810

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I got a Daewoo 160gb (the 8100 model) in Currys, it was €250. Was a present for a friend and seems to work well. No HDMI out though, but hey €250

• Advertisement

eolhc wrote:
    anybody have experience with the 160gb magnavox dvrs in powercity (240e) or dixons http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-17-PV810

That Powercity website has to be one of the worst I've seen

It is cool how they show how many of a particular item they have in stock at each store though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

eolhc wrote:

I've bought several times from SVP - lot of people on the boards have.

They say on the site:
    Six delivery networks cover UK & Europe

amby666 wrote:
    They say on the site:
    Six delivery networks cover UK & Europe

It's just the particular page has the following
    Please Note: Due to warranty issues, LiteOn DVD Players and Recorders are not for export outside of the UK mainland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eolhc wrote:
    It's just the particular page has the following
    They export them to Ireland allright,I bought one a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

totally agree on the powercity website,pathetic eh .......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

svp do deliver to ireland,as i ordered a pioneer 111d burner before xmas and it was delayed coming to me,so i emailed svp and the sent me another one with courier delivery.top company and very good commuications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

eolhc wrote:

use SVP regulary. have the older liteon 160gb model with no divx. have it about 2 years. got it for €350 from svp. great machine, can't fault it. SVP is great site with great delivery to ireland, even if a little pricy at £15, but if you order in bulk it is reasonable.

another to consider
    THOMSON DTH8650 DVD/DivX player-recorder with 160 Gb hard drive €254
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/335038/art/thomson/dth8650-dvd-divx-player-r.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

I bought the A760 (with 250g) from SVP two weeks ago. No bother - ordered and shipped within three days. And I live in ROI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Was up in Homebase in lisburn at the weekend. I saw a Philips 3440H for £129 which has an 80GB hdd. Thought it was a pretty good deal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,146 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

They export them to Ireland allright,I bought one a few weeks ago.

hey MisterA

have you tried copying divx\xvid onto the disk of your LiteOn - does it work well? looks like a very cool unit with a lot of features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublin16

Bought the Magnavox dvd/hdd recorder ( 160gig €240 ) from Power city before Xmas. I'm not a techno geek - all i'll say is that it works grand. Easy to set up. Its got all the usual stuff - pause live TV etc etc. Its DivX compatible. ( That apparantly makes it easier to play downloaded films )

dublin16 wrote:
    Bought the Magnavox dvd/hdd recorder ( 160gig €240 ) from Power city before Xmas. I'm not a techno geek - all i'll say is that it works grand. Easy to set up. Its got all the usual stuff - pause live TV etc etc. Its DivX compatible. ( That apparantly makes it easier to play downloaded films )

I see the Magnavox is now €199 in DID. Anyone have any problems with it?
    http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=MRV810H&subid=199

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Idunno

I bought it 3 moinths ago for 280 euro in DID. I love it!! Would recommend it to anyone for 200 as it is priced right now.

Idunno wrote:
    I bought it 3 moinths ago for 280 euro in DID. I love it!! Would recommend it to anyone for 200 as it is priced right now.

Does it have Videoplus?
    Does it have timeslip function ( allowing you to pause TV) ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Idunno

Video Plus-No
    Pause Live TV yes.
    Also has firewire input which is great for getting your camcorder DV tapes onto DVD.

sorry for the questions but there is'nt much info on the net.
    Does it allow high spped copy from HD to Disc?
    Is there a facility to edit out Ads etc. before transfer to Disc?
    Does it play DVD+/- R ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Is it possible to connect a PC to this machine and copy mp3 files (or even movie files) onto it? If so, would there be any issues with sound quality? I need to get these files off my laptop so I was going to get an external hardrive but if its possible to move files to Dvd player I'd do that. Sorry for jumping in on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

sorry for the questions but there is'nt much info on the net.
    Does it allow high spped copy from HD to Disc?
    Is there a facility to edit out Ads etc. before transfer to Disc?
    Does it play DVD+/- R ?
    Thanks

There is an edit facility to remove ads etc...

It plays DVD+/-R

There is a high quality and standard quality setting for recording from TV. HQ setting stores about an hour of TV on standard 4.7gb DVD, 2 hours or more at standard setting

Have transferred all my old video tapes and camcorder tapes to hard drive and then on to DVD with this machine.

There is live pause of TV.

Haven't timed it but I think recording from Hard Drive to DVD takes about 5mins per disc.

Thats about the extent of my technical know how with this machine, somebody more technically minded may get more out of it, I have it about 6 months and its a great piece of kit.

CLADA wrote:
    There is an edit facility to remove ads etc...

It plays DVD+/-R

There is a high quality and standard quality setting for recording from TV. HQ setting stores about an hour of TV on standard 4.7gb DVD, 2 hours or more at standard setting

Have transferred all my old video tapes and camcorder tapes to hard drive and then on to DVD with this machine.

There is live pause of TV.

Haven't timed it but I think recording from Hard Drive to DVD takes about 5mins per disc.

Thats about the extent of my technical know how with this machine, somebody more technically minded may get more out of it, I have it about 6 months and its a great piece of kit.

Sounds like a trip to DID tomorrow!!!

Okay, Bought the Magnavox 160GB HD DVD Recorder for €199 today in DID.
    Have not fully got to grips with it yet , but it appears to be a great machine.
    The Pause TV function is great. Also the Archive of recorded stuff on the Harddisc is great
    Good Buy IMO

Good man Johnny, that was a good deal I paid €255 6 mths ago.
    Just a bit of advice if you are recording from Hard drive to disc, be sure to finalise disc at end of recording, this makes it playable on all machines. But unlike me I'm sure you are a man who reads the instructions before he encounters problems!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomskimc

Just seeing the thread about the HD recorders. Looks like the DID buy is a good one. I'm just about to get hooked up to the basic Sky package. Will a HD/DVD recorder like this hook up OK to the Skybox/TV etc.? Any problems there i need to be aware of?

Cheers,

No problems, I've mine connected to the sky box via scart lead. Press the source button on the remote a couple of times until you find what its coming in on. Mine is on EXT 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

The website is showing €249.95. Has the sale ended..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublin16

199 euro is a very good price. Bought the magnavox for 240 before christmas.
    All appears Ok. Couple of question if anyone cares to answer :
    When you schedule a recording the player goes into standby mode ( effectively almost shutting down ) - but with my NTL connections using the player i presume you just power it back on fully to keep watching TV ? Does that make any sense ?

Also I don't have any multi room viwing option from NTL. am i right in saying if I'm watching one channel i can't record another ?

Cheers CLADA. Now off to DID!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I heard that if you buy anything in DID for more than €100 you can get a voucher for a weekend away in various hotels down the country. €98 for two nights and dinner (per person).

Can any of you guys who bought anything down there let me know?

I heard that if you buy anything in DID for more than €100 you can get a voucher for a weekend away in various hotels down the country. €98 for two nights and dinner (per person).

Can any of you guys who bought anything down there let me know?

I bought 2 x Magnavox for €400. No mention of a voucher!:mad:

Was ringing around to see where they had the HDD's in stock and checked about the voucher while I was at it. They are offering on purchases over €100 so I'd go back and get them if I were you. Check out the following link too. It show's the offer.

http://www.didstore.com/pressaddisplay.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement