Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking in Wicklow

Options
  • 03-01-2007 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just need a bit of guidance (that's probably the word, yeah).

I'm hoping to hike up the Sugar Loaf this week or so, I'm coming from Dublin, so would I be right in thinking I can get the no. 145 bus out to Kilmacanogue, get out and pretty much start from there, or are there other (better) public transport routes?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The 145 will get you there alright. IIRC it will leave you right at the petrol stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, the 145 goes up the N11 as far as Kilmac, and then goes up and over the bridge stops just outside the Esso station. It's a very regular service now, every 10 mins at peak times. Try and pick one that doesn't go via Bray Dart station, if you can .. they change driver there which can take a while and sometimes he just doesn't show up at all :)

There's also a Bus Eireann service 133 to Arklow from Connolly that stops at the Shell station on the left just before the bridge which is a bit quicker and more comfortable than the 145. That's pretty regular too, but check on the Bus Eireann website for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kayakboy

Here's a good link once you get to Kilmac
    www.imra.ie/?sec1=racedetail&id=306

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kayakboy wrote:
    Here's a good link once you get to Kilmac
    www.imra.ie/?sec1=racedetail&id=306
    There's another way up from Kilmac as well .. if you walk up the Roundwood road a bit, about 500m or so, past the roundabout, there's a small laneway off to the left opposite a house entrance with some white cast-iron gates. Follow that to the end, through a gate and follow your nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Thanks lads, great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

could anyone give me directions by car to the foot of the sugarloaf - coming from Dublin?

Also, am I right in thinking it's an easy climb?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/ should give you step by step details to get there. But just go out the stillorgan road down the N/M11 until you get to Kilmacanogue and find somewhere to park. There is a parking spot I just don't know where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I usually park along this stretch of road. You'll see the other cars gathered. You need to cross over the bridge at Kilmacanogue (exit left on the N11 coming from Dublin just after the petrol station), turn left onto R755, keep left when the road forks, up the hill past the Quarry, take the next left after the small burnt out petrol station (which also has some parking), follow the road until you see other cars gathered..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

Is it safe to climb up at this time of year?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's 'safe' at any time of year, as long as common sense and wisdom prevail!
    It's not terribly high, so snow wouldn't be a huge concern (and you'll see it from a distance!), so as long as it's not too windy (and you also know what the wind is like long before you near the top) you'll be fine. Rain would be quite unpleasant, ans there's a bit of scrambling required, and would make the loose shale and rocks slippery.

And to Hot Fuss' question, yes it's an easy climb, with a small amount of scrambling required. My kids (6yo and 12yo) love it... Short approach, quick climb.. Easy-peesey..

• Advertisement
Advertisement