Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docklands Station Directions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

"GIANT CONNOLLY STATION TERRORISES IFSC" :)

Seriously though, no offence to inner city types but what the hell are they directing people down the dodgiest street in the inner city northside for? They should be sending you through the IFSC on Mayor St, then turn left at the end. It's safer and more pleasant.

I also noticed that they depict the old rail lines into the Point Depot as if it was still a functioning freight depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

spacetweek wrote:
    "GIANT CONNOLLY STATION TERRORISES IFSC" :)

Seriously though, no offence to inner city types but what the hell are they directing people down the dodgiest street in the inner city northside for? They should be sending you through the IFSC on Mayor St, then turn left at the end. It's safer and more pleasant.

Seconded.
    I used to walk this route to and from Guild Street for a few months and it's an extremly dodgy route, especially around Hallowen time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Very sketchy detail on that bus service to Dublin City Centre. How much is it/where does it go?

I read somewhere that the carriages for the new trains to Docklands are coming off trains on the existing arrow services to Pearse. Anyone know anything about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Thats the safest route in Dublin to be honest, it's had an armed 24 hour guard since December 27th with a massive police presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Tazz T wrote:
    I read somewhere that the carriages for the new trains to Docklands are coming off trains on the existing arrow services to Pearse. Anyone know anything about this.
    I submitted this question for the Irish Rail Web Chat before Christmas.
    Damien asks a related question: Where will the rolling stock for the Clonsilla/Docklands services come from when the station opens in March? At a recent transport meeting (Joan Burton, Littlepace, Nov 7) Michael Power said that all rolling stock is in use at peak times. How many carriages will be on the Clonsilla/Docklands trains?

Dick: Damien, thank you for taking such an interest in the service. Initially when the Docklands Station opens, using our existing fleet a bit more intensively, and we’ll start with four-car trains on the extra services. Then, as demand increases, we will be in a position to expand the size of these trains, and other four-car services on the Maynooth and Drogheda lines, when the Intercity railcar fleet is delivered through 2007 and 2008. We can do this because the Intercity railcars will free up commuter railcars currently in use on the Sligo and Rosslare lines.
    The new Intercity railcar fleet is discussed on this board.
    Bluetonic wrote:
    Thats the safest route in Dublin to be honest, it's had an armed 24 hour guard since December 27th with a massive police presence.
    Please elaborate on the armed guard and significance of Dec 27th.
    I always though that Lower Sherrif St was quite dark and lonely.

As the Docklands service is initially only for Broombridge to Clonsilla passengers, I would expect them to know about the alternate IFSC route. I'll email Irish Rail to ask why they suggest one route over the other. I'll measure both on Gmaps Pedometer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

daymobrew wrote:
    Please elaborate on the armed guard and significance of Dec 27th.
    I always though that Lower Sherrif St was quite dark and lonely.

It's in relation to the shooting on Mayor Street in early December, Oriel Street on December 26th, and the court case over a rape on a minor.

Sherrif Street, Oriel Street and Seville Place are under 24 armed guard with check points daily.

Anyhow Sherrif St lower is quite busy as its used a bus hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

daymobrew wrote:
    I'll measure both on Gmaps Pedometer.
    From the corner of Talbot Street and Amiens Street: 838 metres via Lower Sherrif Street, 1130 metres via IFSC.
    Of course, those coming from the south side of Connolly or from across the Liffey, an IFSC route will be the obvious choice.

Dick: Damien, thank you for taking such an interest in the service. Initially when the Docklands Station opens, using our existing fleet a bit more intensively, and we’ll start with four-car trains on the extra services. Then, as demand increases, we will be in a position to expand the size of these trains, and other four-car services on the Maynooth and Drogheda lines, when the Intercity railcar fleet is delivered through 2007 and 2008. We can do this because the Intercity railcars will free up commuter railcars currently in use on the Sligo and Rosslare lines.

I think that's a 'yes, we are using stock form the existing service until new stock becomes available.'

What do you make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Actually IE are telling the truth

They changed the rolling stock availability requirements so there are now 28 of the 29 29000 series railcars available was 27 (the contract terms upon purchase where for only 16 out of the original 20) and it would appear the spare 4 coaches left in Connolly are no longer held

2 more coaches are released following refurbishment in Scotland and the spares holding in Drogheda is reduced since previously unreliable coaches have become a lot more reliable thanks to more focused maintenance in Cork and Limerick

That gives 12 coaches, IE need only 8 to run Docklands. In reality for the first few months 2 coach trains would probably be adequate for Docklands

The agreement in writing is that there will be no reduction in service on Maynooth/Connolly/Pearse as a result of Docklands, war will break out if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The agreement in writing is that there will be no reduction in service on Maynooth/Connolly/Pearse as a result of Docklands, war will break out if they do
    Is it the same number of trains, but with fewer carriages / DMUs per train? With the balance being used for the new services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

No reduction in service is the line I recall, fewer coaches is a reduction in service, though the numbers suggest the issue won't arise

MarkoP11 wrote:

No doubt it would. I could swear the amount of people on the platform at Ashtown in the morning peak is growing daily with all the ppl moving into all the new apts around there. And there are hundreds of apts still to be filled :eek:

I had to stifle a laugh the other morning when a guy in a IE jacket couldn't get on at Broombridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

A question about the Docklands station:

As I understand it, Docklands station is being constructed to increase frequency and capacity on the Maynooth line since it will bypass the Connolly bottleneck.

As I also understand it, the key argument against using the Phoenix Park tunnel to bring trains on the Kildare line to Connolly is because of the congestion there i.e. to do so would mean that some DART and/or Maynooth services would have to be curtailed.

So, is there any reason as to why trains can't be run from Kildare to Docklands via the Park tunnel? There must be commuters coming in from that direction who work near the Docklands area for whom such a service would be useful. And it may take some of the pressure of the Red Luas line.

Similary, could extra trains on the Northen line (Drogheda/Dundalk) terminate at Docklands? Then, with sensible timetabling, commuters could make connections with Maynooth and (if my suggestion above were possible) Kildare services and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They lads have worked it out and it appear not to be practical.

1. No trained drivers available.
    2. No roling stock available.
    3. No time saving.
    4. Drogheda trains aren't possible because of the curve / slope at East Wall.
    5. The junction at Phibsborough points in the wrong direction.

Advertisement