Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help unsigned band to number 1

Options
  • 13-03-2007 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

21 Demands are a dublin based band whom are currently in the last 3 of this years "Your a star"

They are giving Your a star a different dimension and currently have a song released for download that is eligible for the irish charts. The song is called " Give me a minute" and is quite an infectious song in itself

apparently they are currently number 1 temporarily in the midweek charts according to Thomas Black on the Afternoon show today meaning they are already up at number 1.

The aim now is to keep them there till friday so that it becomes an official number 1 track

If they manage to stay there, they will be the first unsigned band to reach number 1 in the irish charts. Let alone from a download only release.

if you can help and want to see a fantastic event in 21 demands being number 1 in the charts then see below for the details to buy the single

"Give me a minute" is now available for download.

If you wish to download "Give me a minute" you can;

Text; Demands to 57707 (vodafone only)

or

See www.7digital.com/star and download it from there.
    Track costs €2

All support welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭K.O.L

Ahhh best of luck but id vote for the show to stop altogether, 3 bad judges couldnt find good music in a room full of beatles records.

Being honest your a star is shocking, any band thats wants to have any cred would never enter that competition, 21 demands and scubadice get smoke blown up their arse every week it for reasons unknown to me, both bands are way below mediocre theyve had their 15 minutes fair play best of luck anyone agree/disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Hey i watched the 2nd part of your a star last week the solo guy who they were up against was 10 full times better then 21 Demands and that is not dogging them for the sake of it but he was much much better Ray Darcy even said it the day after on the radio .Seriously guys if you were on the dublin scene after your a star ye would be slaughtered live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

im sorry but, how on earth can anybody take someone who's on your a star seriously?its no way to go about getting into the music business, wish the show would disapper back tp where it came from, and as for the artists...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HeroinIsSo90's

Are you a friend of theirs or just their biggest fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Trying to resist replying to this out of politeness, but can't help myself. Shows like this are ruining music IMO. I wouldn't watch them out of music principal and would encourage 'all' people who consider themselves musicians to bycott such a show. The likes of Ray Charles, The Beatles, Buddy Holly etc helped put the power into the musicians hands more. These shows are a step back. Pre-signing contracts, with the caveat sign or your out. Disgusting. Someone like Thomas Black, who is alledgedly a 'real' music lover should be ashamed. I'm not going to diss the people taking part in the show as I don't watch it so don't know what I'd be talking about, but I would implore musicians to bycott this type of thing. Its all about TV ratings and phone call money and absolutely nothing to do with music!
    Also, have to agree with other sentiments. Credability is Zero after doing a show like that. Sell your soul, suffer the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I know the band, but im not their biggest fan

more rather a fan of see-ing an unsigned band in the charts

im not heralding your a star

im not heralding using it to further your career

but they will get a record deal out of it, and may end up in the charts if enough people buy it.

that is seperate to your a star and is just an aim of the band. as im sure any band would like to do. TBH if this gets them noticed and signed i dont think they care about doing your a star because it will let them play music for a living instead of just existing and doing a full time job alongside playing music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Martin Mills

How many copies of ‘Áon Focal Eile’ by Ritchie Kavanagh do I have to buy to save the Irish Music Industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

JimiTime wrote:
    Trying to resist replying to this out of politeness, but can't help myself. Shows like this are ruining music IMO. I wouldn't watch them out of music principal and would encourage 'all' people who consider themselves musicians to bycott such a show. The likes of Ray Charles, The Beatles, Buddy Holly etc helped put the power into the musicians hands more. These shows are a step back. Pre-signing contracts, with the caveat sign or your out. Disgusting. Someone like Thomas Black, who is alledgedly a 'real' music lover should be ashamed. I'm not going to diss the people taking part in the show as I don't watch it so don't know what I'd be talking about, but I would implore musicians to bycott this type of thing. Its all about TV ratings and phone call money and absolutely nothing to do with music!
    Also, have to agree with other sentiments. Credability is Zero after doing a show like that. Sell your soul, suffer the consequences.

What's the point of creating music if nobody hears it? You're a star is all about making rte money and getting ratings, but so what, it's a tv show, what do you expect?

Record companies have been screwing over bands for years, with much, much, less chance of fame or succeess that most people who perform on you're a star get. In fact any success or fame that acts get from the show will put them in a stronger place to deal with record labels when the time comes.

I don't understand why people complain about the credibility of a band that appears on You're a star .... for many it is a chance to broadcast their music to a very large audience, gaining exposure. What's the problem with that?

Because there are acts that are only seeking a bit fame and fortune despite any lack of talent?

No, because if you're serious about your music, and letting people hear it, you grab your chance where you can, why would you ever do anything less? The pubs and clubs are full of no hit wonders, here today, gone tomorrow, and never missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Respect doesn't pay the bills.
    I'd swallow a whole cow live on tv if i thought it got my music heard by 1 more person :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HeroinIsSo90's

Would you???? I'd swallow it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Cactus Col wrote:
    What's the point of creating music if nobody hears it?

Because you enjoy it would be one reason. Also, there are a hell of alot of ways to get your music heard, especially in the internet age.
    You're a star is all about making rte money and getting ratings.

Exactly. RTE and screentime shinawil its production company.
    Record companies have been screwing over bands for years, with much, much, less chance of fame or succeess that most people who perform on you're a star get. In fact any success or fame that acts get from the show will put them in a stronger place to deal with record labels when the time comes.

You obviously don't know what happens then! Its not just a showcase. Acts must sign a record deal before they enter the contest. This basically says that if you win you are tied to the terms of the deal. You are advised to look over it with a lawyer, but if your lawyer says, this or that isn't good, they say ' fair enough, ther's the door'. So no, you have no more sway with the label, the opposite is the case.
    I don't understand why people complain about the credibility of a band that appears on You're a star .... for many it is a chance to broadcast their music to a very large audience, gaining exposure. What's the problem with that?

Don't get me started!
    No, because if you're serious about your music, and letting people hear it, you grab your chance where you can, why would you ever do anything less? The pubs and clubs are full of no hit wonders, here today, gone tomorrow, and never missed.

Again, this is how some serious guys probably go for these shows. Fair enough. Personally I see it as selling us all down the river. The more musicians take the power, the more they gain the power. The more they give the power, the more they lose it. Thank you for independant record labels! It was an independant that took a chance on U2, Nirvana, Oasis etc, and these 3 powers had 'real' control on their music.

As I said before, i can't blame people for doing it. I just think there is more to it than, 'Its just exposure'. There was a sentiment that basically one would eat a cow for their chance at fame. To me, fame is the downside to making your living from music. I'd be happy to make my living writing and performing, no matter how small, as long as it tided me over. I would not sell out my principals to achieve this though. Thats my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Dudes, if you love the music don't ever be afraid of asking/begging or selling your soul - fear non of it - here is a true story (and there are always many different angles and takes of the same situations!)

I'm signed to an independant which is run by my partner (the other half of Binary Finary) - the reason we were able to do this because i aimed my music at broad appeal and of course i loved it also... because we were picked up by EMI to sell the single people could say 'that we sold out', for the act to appear on 'top of the pops' people could say that we 'sold out' - but we hadn't, life had led us to that point by the momentum of what the act was (and there were better musicians around, better acts and probably more deserving people - but we had our 'lot' to deal with)

Since that time, i got paid - stopped being a manically depressed 6 stone close to death starving musician. The selling out process was just natural and means very little after the event and if it puts food on the table then great.

What the real issue here is about is jealousy about the shelf life of the act - 'why should they get attention when some joe who has more talent in their poo starves' - This unsigned band made a choice, they are using the resources around them to find way out of 'nothing' - let them be, and if they make it and become assXoles then throw some mud :)

Come to think of it - how many musicians plough there time/money into local projects that would enable musicians to have more ways to get out there? i.e. If your'e in a school - start a 'battle of the bands'

Loads of great points here about it, no matter what happens there will always be a divide but i think the paying the bills, putting food on the table holds true.

if you were poor you would contemplating stealing bread to feed your family, as a poor musician, is your a star any different a choice, taking a shot at limelight to pay the bills and do what you love for a living

as for putting something back into the community

i personally own goldenplec.com which ive run for nearly 4 years now. so were slowly becoming one of the more aging sites on the net for irish music, yet for what we have achieved, we will always be in the shadow of sites like thumped.com cpu.ie gigsmartireland.com whom have been around longer and achieved much more.

thats my helping other musicians in my own way, 21 demands started at goldenplec, i think we helped give them their first gig after i was asked to be a judge on a battle of the bands which they won (by far the best band on the night), without goldenplec, i would never have known this band and to that end i run goldenplec, at a stone cold loss to my wallet, out of my own love for music.

eventually i may be forced to close goldenplec if the costs outweigh the usefulness of the site. but until that time i will continue and try make goldenplec one of the more recognised names on the net with regards irish music.

If anyone did buy the song because of this discussion, then i think a lot of good came of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

normally this would have been deleted for spam aido but a good little debate has sprung out of it so its all good :)

personally, i wish the bands the very best of luck but i wont hold my breath. previous indie bands have tried this approach on "your a star" and the mini flash in the pan / minimal PR obtained does nothing and ultimatly ends up in the band being "pidgeon holed" into a category that has some very bad company...............brendan kilkenny etc , etc

Like I said best of luck to the lads hope they get what they're looking for out of it. Just being nosy here (and genuinely not trying to have a mild pop at the lads or anything) but from any PR I've read or heard the only place you can buy it is from is 7digital.coms your a star hosted site and AFAIK (I'm well open to correction on this if I'm mistaken) their sales data is not collated for the charts so where is the number 1 position in the midweeks coming from or are people buying it in another online store who sales data is collated because I'm not seeing it on any of the stores who's data is collated

The 7digital is apparently registered for irish chart downloads for specified irish tracks that they carry

also you can download it to your phone

Text; Demands to 57707 (All Networks!)

cheers for not deleting it, its not really spam, its promotional just like people posting about their gigs, but im still grateful that conversation popped out of it.

also miju, sort out your trophy manager team, i hammer you on day one and your bottom of the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭veryslowey

Pretty effing excited about this too say the least lads oh bnoy.

Pretty effing excited about this too say the least lads oh bnoy.
    might just be me, but sarcasm doesnt suit ya

it really just lacks effort to be honest

The 7digital is apparently registered for irish chart downloads for specified irish tracks that they carry

ah cool , learn something new everyday :)
    also miju, sort out your trophy manager team, i hammer you on day one and your bottom of the league

i'm taking a long term plan with my team and in fact my first team are all 16-19 so not doing too badly. am concentrating more on managing the Irish national team anyways :p

btw check out the boards.ie trophy manager forum aido ttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=885

aido i know your not a universal shill but saying band is unsigned when they're actually signed to a major , tut , tut :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Just have to get this point in.
    You're a star is so hypocritical. Those 'judges' haven't a clue as to what they're talkin about.

I decided for the laugh i'd go audition, see what happened.
    Now I've got ink and Ive got piercings. Before the audition everyone was asked questions about their bckgrond etc blah. All I was asked was 'Oooh did that not hurt.' and 'How many have you got?' Nothing about my singing or anything. However they did find out about Suicide Girls... Heh. Weird. Anyway. I went for the audition and I got turned down. And, lads I'm not amazing but i can sing.

My best friend also went for the audition for the laugh. Now she has no metal or ink or anything. And she cannot sing. She decided to do a rip of MCR's 'I'm not ok'. Yep You guessed it. She got through.

Same goes for my sister. She's like me. Mods and all that. Now she can sing. I mean wow. She's won awards and the like. Sounds very amy lee like. She didn't get thro either.

You're a star, my arse.
    A load of rubbish. They wouldn't know talent if Slash fell from the sky playing a VR solo.

Good god that was relieving. :p

• Advertisement

They arnt signed

the song was released through universal ireland because they have a contract with your a star for doing that.

as far as i know, if 21 demands decide not to sign for universal, they would lose the song as universal would technically own it now

Advertisement