Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush & Lusk train station - field closed?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Does anyone else park in the field beside the station at Rush & Lusk?
    I see there were gates up there this morning....

Does anyone know what the story is?
    Are they going to close it off? Where else is there to park??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭dubmick

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Commuters facing station parking crisis [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wednesday April 11th 2007[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Conor Byrne[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DOZENS of parking spaces in a field beside Rush and Lusk train station will be lost this month because a local farmer plans to dig it up![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The shocking daily parking grind for hundreds of commuters in the area will reach crisis point when work begins on ploughing the field that had become a parking place for up to 70 cars which couldn’t get into the main station car park.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The field had been left open to commuters by the farmer - free of charge - because he knew they had no other option.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]‘I’ll have to put up a notice and a gate and the cars will have to go elsewhere,’ he warned. ‘I’ll need direct access from the road for machinery.’[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He did not use the land for the past winter, the reason being that ‘people have to park somewhere.’ However, he admitted that the possibility of personal liability should there be an accident entering or leaving the field is also pressuring him to refuse access. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All available car parking spaces in the official station car park are gone by 7.00 am, according to commuters. It will be at least another year before the company will be in a position to expand car parking, Iarnrod Eireann spokesman Barry Kenny told the Fingal Independent.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The station does have two car parks catering for about 200 cars, but it cannot cope with the growth in population in the area. Only disabled spaces currently lie idle. Clamping is in operation in the station car park. A spokesman for NCTS, the clamping contractors, says that they patrol the station almost every day. Almost one year ago, 65 spaces were opened up on the Lusk side of the car park but they filled up immediately. [/FONT]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I used to park in that field when i got the train. Fair play to the farmer for allowing it so long....but it's a very big field and I'm sure he needs it back. That station is a disaster for parking. I don't know how Iarnrod Eireann can get away with their lack of services there since it's such a remote station. And it's not like you can rely on the bus service to get you there on time to catch your train!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

catch--22 wrote:
    I used to park in that field when i got the train. Fair play to the farmer for allowing it so long....but it's a very big field and I'm sure he needs it back. That station is a disaster for parking. I don't know how Iarnrod Eireann can get away with their lack of services there since it's such a remote station. And it's not like you can rely on the bus service to get you there on time to catch your train!

Its not Iarnrod Eireanns fault that the planners in Fingal County Council,
    agreed for all of those house to be built without proper access, parking and the like

Branners wrote:
    Its not Iarnrod Eireanns fault that the planners in Fingal County Council,
    agreed for all of those house to be built without proper access, parking and the like

There has NEVER been enough parking at that station. Even before the property boom in the Rush and lusk area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

catch--22 wrote:
    There has NEVER been enough parking at that station. Even before the property boom in the Rush and lusk area!

ah right didn't really know that, thought this was only a recent problem

• Advertisement

Branners wrote:
    ah right didn't really know that, thought this was only a recent problem

Sadly not.....it's just 100 times worse now....and if these rumored plans are going ahead to this massive housing development between Rush and the Station I will cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

catch--22 wrote:
    if these rumored plans are going ahead to this massive housing development between Rush and the Station I will cry.

There, there... * pats catch--22 consolingly on back & hands a tissue *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hmmm....am I the only one thinking the farmer should build a car park and fleece/charge people for using it?
    I even think you can get tax breaks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd imagine that the planning permission for change of use from agricultural to commercial would take a wee while, not to mention a few bob. Does anybody know what the Local Area Plan has the land designated as?

micmclo wrote:
    Hmmm....am I the only one thinking the farmer should build a car park and fleece/charge people for using it?
    I even think you can get tax breaks for this.

I think the main problem is the size of the field! The farmer seems to be quite willing to let it stay as a car park bar the fact the field itself is so large and I'm sure he can't afford to leave it fallow for another season. If it was smaller....who knows!?
    Hill Billy wrote:
    There, there... * pats catch--22 consoling on back & hands a tissue *

*sniffle* ...thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Buck Mulligan

I moved to Rush in 2000. I used to leave the house at 8.00am, park at the station at 8.05am and get on the train at 8.10am - ah the good ole days. Now I leave at 6.30am for the train at 7.00am due to the lack of parking. Each year I get an earlier train, mainly due to parking problems. It'll be the 06.30am next year! I wrote to fingal coco a number of times (to the transportation department (Michael Lorigan) and directly to the County Manager (David O'Connor)). Basically they cannot see a problem at the station and also fail to see the connection between planning and transport. In O'Connor's own words - "The Councils priority is to house populations". (i.e the council could'nt give a toss about transport, traffic etc - clearly visible by the shambles of a road and the constant roadworks on it). I would suggest that everybody write individually to the council (David O'Connor) to let him see that I'm not the only grump about the place. I would also suggest pestering the Politicians when they come knocking on the door looking for votes.

I would also suggest pestering the Politicians when they come knocking on the door looking for votes.

Guaranteed!

I noticed a sign up on the gate yesterday when I drove past. Anyone know what it says?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭keithrus

Early?? Go to skerries !! At least ur likely to get a seat on the train

Irish rail will do nothing for you re car parking.

Up to private operators to get service up & running for transport to the trains.

Also consider this.. U own a land for harvest/crops etc... its ur livelihood.. its how you make money. You would want to be highly compensated for selling that land up. Two sides to every story.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭keithrus

catch--22 wrote:
    Guaranteed!

I noticed a sign up on the gate yesterday when I drove past. Anyone know what it says?

They are going to stop people parking in it because they will have to get tractors in. Was in the north county leader recently. I assume there will be clamping/towing in operation.

keithrus wrote:
    They are going to stop people parking in it because they will have to get tractors in. Was in the north county leader recently. I assume there will be clamping/towing in operation.

I actually got to read the sign as I drove by this morning and it says there will be no parking from next Sunday, when i presume he'll simply close the gate giving no need to towing or clamping. The farmer seems to be very conscious of the parking problems and has been quite accommodating so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Trevor Sargent was at the train station in Skerries this morning canvassing ,he was handing out a flyer on 'the current transport mess' , they propose to encourage private bus companies to provide shuttle bus services linking Rush and Lusk with the station.Bus timetable to be co ordinated with train arrival/departure times.I'll vote for that.

Fingalian wrote:
    Trevor Sargent was at the train station in Skerries this morning canvassing ,he was handing out a flyer on 'the current transport mess' , they propose to encourage private bus companies to provide shuttle bus services linking Rush and Lusk with the station.Bus timetable to be co ordinated with train arrival/departure times.I'll vote for that.

Sounds good alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Commuters began to park in that field as a result of a misunderstanding. Several years ago, a nearby resident, who is involved in the motor trade/vehicle recovery business sought permission from the landowner to park a number of cars/trucks there on a temporary basis. Commuters going for the train then assumed that these cars belonged to other commuters who had difficulty in getting a spot in the carpark. The rest, as they say, is history.
    catch--22 wrote:
    I think the main problem is the size of the field! The farmer seems to be quite willing to let it stay as a car park bar the fact the field itself is so large and I'm sure he can't afford to leave it fallow for another season.
    Yes, that field is much, much larger than it appears. It veers off to the left at the bottom. I'd say there are about 50 acres there.

A couple of years ago he worked it but didn't utilise the top half where the cars are usually parked. There was a tractor in there today so perhaps they are working at the bottom part.

Here are a couple of pics for those unfamiliar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Fingalian wrote:
    So Trevor proposed to 'encourage' private companies to provide a service? How was this proposed?

Surely with or without Trevor Sargent part of the Government locals could get their act together and approach a private operator?

....and wouldn't private operators be doing it already if it was profitable?

• Advertisement

The gates were shut when I passed at 7am this morning. Tomorrow morning should be interesting! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

keithrus wrote:

You're kidding, right? I've often been standing along with many others when I get on in Balbriggan.

I don't see how expecting people to head to Skerries, which hardly has a huge amount of space itself, is a solution. Rush & Lusk station is so far out of the way for many people from both towns and the bus service is apalling most of the time.

I think Buck Mulligan has the right idea.

I wonder how it all went this morning. Anyone have any info/updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Buck Mulligan

keithrus wrote:

Perhaps if those in rush went to skerries, those in skerries went to balbriggan, those in balbriggan went to drogheda, those in drogheda went to belfast and those in belfast went to greenland our problem would be solved ? However, what happens the poor hoors in donabate ? Driving all over the kip to get a parking space defeats the whole purpose of using "public" transport, especially when rush and lusk station is 10 minutes away by car. What happens the commuters living just outside skerries ? Is it fair to deprive them of there car parking spaces ? - I don't think so. I don't want a seat, I don't mind standing - all I want is a parking space. Am I being unreasonable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Don't know, I didn't take the train today but it can't have been pretty. On the subject of shuttle buses, is there one already operating in Balbriggan? if so could it be a model for other towns and villages? As to whether its public or private...who cares as long as it works. My point was a problem exists with the parking and the Greens are the only ones ( that I have seen so far) to offer a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I agree with you competley Buck Mulligan. It must be economically feesable for a company to put on 2 bus's and run them from rush and lusk to the train station in the morning and afternoon. I really can't underestand why no one has done this.

I have been mailing a TV3 news representive this morning in relation to this and got the following which makes for intresting reading.

Hi Michael,
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    I don't think so. Maybe you should get on to your local candidates and ask them when will you get one. However, I did speak to Iarnrod Eireann about it and I was told they advertised for a bus company to take up the service and nobody was interested.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    Hope that's of some help,
    Sharon

Hi Sharon[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Thanks for your reply, So I take it this is not a permanent fixture ie no bus in the morning and afternoon.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Dear Michael,[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    Thanks for your query. We had a news crew there as part of our election coverage. The green party was operating a shuttle bus service for people getting off the train, to hightlight the issue of poor public transport.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    Best regards,[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    Sharon Tobin[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    Hi,[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

I saw last Friday the 4th that you had a news crew at Rush and Lusk train station, unfortunately I was in a hurry and couldn't find out what was going on. It looked as though you were in the process of interviewing a bus company (I think it was called Mandy's) which could be in relation to the farmers field closing. I would really appreciate any info you could give me on this,[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Thanks[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

catch--22 wrote:
    I wonder how it all went this morning. Anyone have any info/updates?
    I passed around 7.20am expecting chaos, but it seemed quieter than normal. Perhaps everyone was prepared. I don't get the train myself so I can only judge it from passing.
    Psygnosis wrote:
    It must be economically feesable for a company to put on 2 bus's and run them from rush and lusk to the train station in the morning and afternoon. I really can't underestand why no one has done this
    A possible explanation:

The 'bread and butter' income of many private bus/minibus operators are the fixed term contracts for transporting schoolchildren, HSE work, special needs children etc. Most of these contracts mean that their buses are 'tied up' for a few hours morning and evening. They may be reluctant to give up a viable fixed contract or to employ a driver/purchase a bus for a venture which may not be as viable. A bus only makes money when on the road. Doing a couple of runs to the station, morning and evening, may not be sustainable.

Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 affrodizzyyak

Dublin Bus once upon a time ran a bus service 2 journeys every morning to the station from the town of Rush and people used it regularly...when Dublin Bus in their wisdom in the very early 1990's decided to remove this service from Rush no body complained (typical of the Rush people i am frustrated to say)... when at least 2 private operators decided to provide a service From the town to the station no one would use it ..because hey had to pay twice their train fare and the bus fare .. and yes because it wasn't profitable the soon pulled the plug. and in this case i cannot blame them....now i know of people who drive to the station and back to Rush and then boarding a Dublin bus back to the station wasting nearly an hour of their time :confused: as well as the €1.50 or so in petrol that the bus fare would have covered

this station is so far from the town of Rush .. the road from Rush to the railway station is in such an apppalling condition you cannot even cycle your bike because its far too dangerous the paths are a disgrace and in the winter time you end up walking on the road in the dark (i may add) to avoid the muck ..
    yes folks this is all about planning or serious lack of it fingal with one of the largest increases in population explosion over the last 10 years failed to keep up with the proper infrastructure because it wasn't planned to do so .. its taken the county council 3 bloody years to construct 300 meters of path between the station and a lane 300 mtrs east ....and even doin so they dug up 200 meters of it and re laid it again .. there has been road works between Rush and lusk for the last 3 years of some description or other nothing to do with improving the road just "building" holes and more holes.... this road has not been upgraded since our forefathers days on their asses and carts and the planners are dilly dallying again and again so that the developers will foot the bill for any new road that will be built

i doubt if my new 07 D reg car will ever drive on it .. i certainly wont be holding my breath.. after 30 years of dumping in Baleally FCC finally built a new road to the dump even tho they promised to close the dump .... but hadn't the brains or foresight to widen the blooming thing and extend it to Rush 1 and a half miles away so now they are looking to build a new road 3 miles long costing millions and then having to go through planning processes etc .. God help us if they find a monument en route .. but no doubt they will pick the very route that has a monument on it ...dont talk to me

when your local TD or TD wannabe comes to your door tell them they need to provide a social service to this station with immediate effect ...a social service that will need to be subsidised regardless who provides it... whether a private operator or Dublin Bus and it hads to be Govt policy to get people out of their cars and thats where this govt has failed miserably .. i rest my case :mad:

According to today's Fingal Independent (page 5, North edition) a private operator has expressed interest in providing a service and is to meet the Department of Transport within the next two weeks to discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've posted a thread on a similar topic over in the Commuting forum (warning, it's a bit of a rant).

We have a similar problem in Enfield train station where there isn't enough parking spaces, so what do they do? They start clamping people who park on the street.

The only alternative is to stay in the car and keep driving.

Advertisement