Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Im buying an Alfa 147 - few questions

Options
  • 06-05-2007 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

If your just here to bash it, dont bother posting please. I want this to be a seroius thread cos all the ones i did a search for ended up with people debating whether alfas are reliable or not and contained little or no information. I know what there supposed to be like reliabiltiy wise and am prepared for it, so please dont go on about it!

Im going to get a 147 over the next few weeks and need some question answered!

First of all, is there an AUX input so i can connect my mp3 player into the sound system?

I have moved from Ireland to England and am a 23 year old male with full licence but only 5 months no claims bonus(so cant use it i presume), I have obtained a few quotes on the 147 with £1200 being the cheapest. Are 147's really that expensive to insure? I currently have a 323F 1.5 DOHC which only costs me 970euro!

Compared to my current car (96 1.5 323F DOHC) will the 1.6 Tspark be faster?

Safety wise, how does the 147 rate?

I've had a a look into the main things to watch for when buying these cars and they are to check the oil level, that its been regualry serviced and has had it cambelt changed. Also the suspension must be checked and check for wet carpets around the boot and make sure i get the 2 keys(this seems to be really emphasised). Anything else?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

keep this thread nice folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If your just here to bash it, dont bother posting

First of all, is there an AUX input so i can connect my mp3 player into the sound system?

You could try one of the Dension kits to integrate your iPod. Have a look here
    I have moved from Ireland to England and am a 23 year old male with full licence but only 5 months no claims bonus(so cant use it i presume),

Normally insurance companies want to hear about full yearrs for NCB. Were you a named driver on any policies for any length of time? This may help reduce your policy cost.
    I have obtained a few quotes on the 147 with £1200 being the cheapest. Are 147's really that expensive to insure? I currently have a 323F 1.5 DOHC which only costs me 970euro!
    Compared to my current car (96 1.5 323F DOHC) will the 1.6 Tspark be faster?

Your Mazda has 103BHP & the 147 has 120BHP in the 1.6L TS model. There might be a small bit in the power, hence the insurance increase. However the Alfa could be 100kg heavier making it perform the same in a straight line, however I'd imagine the Alfa will drive better than the Mazda.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/alfa-romeo-147-1.6-litre-ts-1004064.html
    Safety wise, how does the 147 rate?

For safety ratings go to:
    http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=2&id2=108
    I've had a a look into the main things to watch for when buying these cars and they are to check the oil level, that its been regualry serviced and has had it cambelt changed. Also the suspension must be checked and check for wet carpets around the boot and make sure i get the 2 keys(this seems to be really emphasised). Anything else?
    I'm not sure that there is the same issue with the keys anymore for the more recent models but with the Fiats & Alfas there were two different coloured keys, a blue and a red, one was the master key that is needed if something goes wrong with the car. It's an expensive fix if you don't have that key. So if you do buy don't use the master key every day.

Oh here is a review of the 147 from an owner:
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Alfa_147_1_6__Review_5591183

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

kbannon wrote:
    keep this thread nice folks!

That time of the week again....

<-- gets popcorn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Depending on your take on global corporate giants and monopolies you could try Tesco for car insurance! I found them to be far cheaper here (England) than the other companies we searched for insurance from.

Our insurance history and no-claims bonuses in Ireland counted for diddly-squat with anyone we tried. Remember that in the UK, each car is placed in an insurance group based on a lot of factors. So depending on what group the 147 is in you may end up paying more.

EDIT: Interestingly, when I bought my used Stilo it only came with 2 blue keys and the remote central locking doesn't work with one of the keys...I was told it would cost £150 for a replacement :(

BTW, say hello to us on boards.org.uk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Honest John might put you off! Only positive thing he seems to say is 'stunning looking'. Read his page on 147!

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

r3nu4l wrote:
    Depending on your take on global corporate giants and monopolies you could try Tesco for car insurance! I found them to be far cheaper here (England) than the other companies we searched for insurance from.

Our insurance history and no-claims bonuses in Ireland counted for diddly-squat with anyone we tried. Remember that in the UK, each car is placed in an insurance group based on a lot of factors. So depending on what group the 147 is in you may end up paying more.

EDIT: Interestingly, when I bought my used Stilo it only came with 2 blue keys and the remote central locking doesn't work with one of the keys...I was told it would cost £150 for a replacement :(

BTW, say hello to us on boards.org.uk ;)

Signed up to boards Uk last week but havent got around to posting yet :-)
    Will try tesco out and see what they say.

Have had a look at Honest John etc but its not putting me off. If I find it to be troublesome I'll sell it on so on!

Anyone know the expected mpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Check at what mileage the timing belt was last changed, they need to be changed every 36k miles on Alfas. If there is any doubt about it then budget to get it changed and use it as a bargining tool. Also keep an eye on the oil level regularly as the twin spark engine likes to use a bit of oil. Try and get one owned by an enthusiast with a full service history and well looked after.

Try and avoid buying one and servicing one from the Alfa Romeo dealer network as they are notoriously poor. Do a search for a UK Alpha Romeo forum where owners can advise you where to buy one and who to take it to for maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭tech

hmm Alfa havent the name out there for cars, but I believe they are getting better :) very slowly tough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Like all Alfa's a full service history is vital...On T-Sparks Timing belts plus all the bitz are done every 36K...Why not go for a Diesel:D excellent fun and great to drive..and T-Belts don't need changing as often as a T-Spark...

shop around for insurance you should do better than that....
    Try here, has loads of info and advice on buying Alfa's

Best of luck with the car...:)

I would get the diseal but as there newer there more expensive and therefore out of my budget unfortunatly.

Have put a thread up on alfa owner, so hopefully i wil get some answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The 147 is an amzing looking car.. I dont own one :( I wish i did after drving one though... not only do they look good but they are really nice to drive.. lots of power if/when you want it.. and you can throw them round corners and they go exactly where you put them (they hold the road very well)..

From what ive experienced of the 147 id go for one.. even though id love a brera even more... (i can always dream)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

I own an alfa 147 and love it. Its a great car to drive and to look at.

Important to have one with full service history, if you buy one without it and it wasn't looked after it will just give you lots of trouble.
    Timing belt needs to be done @36k and maybe the varriator at the same time, the spark plugs @60k and can cost 180euro from a dealer, other things like the bushes on the wishbones and the aux belt should probably be done at 60k if you want to stay trouble free. Otherwise just make sure the oil is topped up every 6 to 8 weeks.

The standard stereo is a blaupunkt and i don't think it has an aux port but i think some dealers are selling ipod kits for newer models.

Fuel consumption is not the best i get approx 27mpg for city driving but on a recent trip down to waterford i got approx 45mpg, but it also depends on how you hard you drive it.

Most 1.6t.sparks are 120bhp but some models (the 'distinctive' i think)are only 105bhp, you can tell this by where the red line is on your rev meter, 120bhp - 7k, 105bhp - 5.5k.

Insurance is is more expensive than most 1.6 cars because of the t.spark engine. I am 25 living in dublin with 2years NCB, full liecense for a year, and i'm paying 1100euro fully comp with AIG. I got this thru the AA. I'd being with quinn for 2years and they where looking for 1300euro, some places where looking for 1600euro so make sure you shop around, but the AA are worth a call.

Most of your questions can be probably be answered better than me in one of the owner clubs which are full of good information and advice. Just don't buy one if your not 100% sure about it as it could come back to haunt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi Gary,

I have a 147 also, a diesel one, and it is a fabulous car.

The problems I have had to date are:
    - The chrome on the front left fog lamp bubbled, and it was replaced under warranty.
    - The rear drivers side door child lock would not release, replaced under warranty.
    - A pipe on the turbo charger tore/split, resulting in a whistle noise when accelerating hard, and also black smoke from the exhaust, replaced under warranty.

So that is not too bad. Probably a few more problems than your average Honda would have, but it is not exactly crippling either.

It drives well, looks great and it is just a nice car to be in and drive. Also, the relative exclusivity is nice.

Im going to see this over the weekend (i live in England!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hi Gary

I own an Alfa 147 and I can tell ya that you will not regret buying this car if you do. They are great looking, very good fun too drive, has the speed and power should you need it (mines the 1.6 t spark) and handles very well also. Please ensure that you have a full service history with any 147 you look and as above make the timing belt was done every 36k.
    Also don't be afraid of one with high miles as long as it has the full history mine has 91k miles and drives perfectly but i made sure that the service history was completely up to date

on a side note I only got one key!!!

Sorry i forgot to put the link in! Im going to see this at the weekend:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/159403.htm

Hi Gary, that's an impressive looking car for the price tag! What year is it? I wish I'd held out and not bought my Stilo now :D

Yep its not bad at all. He's taking a further 200pound of so i can go get the belt done straight away. he assures me its been nothing but realiable for him.

Looks nice, especially them seats! pity its not red though, thats the colour I was after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My understanding is that there are a lot of 105bhp ones out there, but that a lot of people think they have the 120.

Afaik, there are only two ways to tell:
    a) look for the vvt (oops almost said vtec) solenoid between injectors 3 & 4. Not present on the 105.
    b) I believe the 120bhp VINs start with AR321.

Dont mind if its the 105 or 120, but the owner says its a 120.

What do people think of the car in my link? Was holding out for a red one but this one looks good and I love them seats - plus its Lusso spec.

its a 01 by the way.

• Advertisement

What do people think of the car in my link? I'd say them seats may be impossible to keep clean? though they do look nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What do people think of the car in my link? I'd say them seats may be impossible to keep clean? though they do look nice!

Leather seats are easier to clean than cloth seats. Just buy a good leather trim polish for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

not to hijack the thread but
    if i bought key to suit my 147, say on ebay, What would i need to do to get it to work with my car?

neacy69 wrote:
    not to hijack the thread but
    if i bought key to suit my 147, say on ebay, What would i need to do to get it to work with my car?

So far as I'm aware it would need to be reprogrammed and that ca cost a lot of money. Also be aware that with my car (not an alfa) the dealers garage weren't able to reprogram the car key and said a replacement would cost me £150 (~€175-200). Why not just get one from your local dealer?

Gary, I would go for leather seats too, look better, feel better and lots easier to clean! The cloth seats on my car are filthy now and I've no idea what I was doing to get them that way but I hope I enjoyed myself doing it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭vinruane

Hey Gary,

thinking about buying an Alfa myself over the coming weeks. Not bothered what people saw about the reliability!

There are some great cars in the alfaowner.com classifieds and these cars are kept by alfa enthusiasts so you're pretty sure you're getting a car thats been well kept.

Hope ya find what you're looking for!

This thread was put up about a year ago!

Bought a 147, best thing i ever bought. Love it and its been nothing but reliable (touch wood). Has 18inch wheels on it, alfa red....love it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement