Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a distro that looks most like MAC OS X

Options
  • 25-05-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Any takers?

Screenshots?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Ubuntu , there are thousands of videos out there showing you what it looks like ,
    It has a completely customizable "Gnome" front end and can be made look like any other OS you want.
    Piece of cake to install as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Cheers dude! Sounds good to me! Ill check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Ubuntu is a great desktop, but for what you want,
    it has to be Dream Linux.

More OSX than Mac OSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

niallb wrote:
    Ubuntu is a great desktop, but for what you want,
    it has to be Dream Linux.

More OSX than Mac OSX.

You, my friend are a legend! If I had money now I would pay you!

WooooHoooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly do you want it to look like Mac OSX?

Linux is very customizable anyway, especially the KDE desktop. Theres loads of themes out there that you can use to make Gnome, KDE or XFCE look like Mac OSX. I would advice you to look more into the ease of installation, setting up and installing/upgrading new packages.

Ubuntu is very popular at the moment so it must be pretty easy to set up and use, although I don't use it myself. Also, have a look at PCLinuxOS, I just installed it lately and it's very easy to use and recognized all my hardware straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have to recommend Ubuntu. Dream Linux looks great and comes with a lot of stuff preinstalled but the little bit of install work to get Ubuntu setup to look like OSX will safe you a lot of time when installing apps later as Ubuntu's repositories can't be beat and there are .deb files for Ubuntu everywhere now for double click install just like windows.

The latest version of Ubuntu is easier to use than Windows in many ways especially theming Gnome (always been easy in every distro though).

Should check this out:
    http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=down&page=0&PHPSESSID=1cb7f0601fcc573e32221aa9111c82c6

You can get some decent apps there and there is Kiba-dock deb in Ubuntu for an OSX like dock.

Then you have glass icons for some good looking icons for your desktop on Gnome look and you have Beryl to install for fancy effects (there is an easy how to on Ubuntu's forums, stickied in the Desktop customisation section).

If you want Xfce, you can get Xubuntu which will give you the Xfce UI with Ubuntu's repositiories and then you can just download the Dream Linux theme which should be available online somewhere (not that familiar with Ubuntu).

I think you should pick a distro by what's under the hood and how easy it is to use as opposed to how pretty it is. You can always get new themes and change the look of Linux very easily.

check out http://ubuntuvideos.org for some video's especially the Beryl section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Why settle for second best? Mac OS X can be installed on a PC if your hardware's up to it. ie. You have an ATI graphics accelerator and an Intel chipset.

Why settle for second best?

Matter of opinion! Also, why pay about 100 euro for Mac OSX when you can have Linux for free?? And in my opinion your much better of with Linux regardless of price.
    Mac OS X can be installed on a PC if your hardware's up to it.

You just hit on another good point of Linux, you can get distros to suit everything from new cutting edge technology machines to old antiques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why settle for second best? Mac OS X can be installed on a PC if your hardware's up to it. ie. You have an ATI graphics accelerator and an Intel chipset.

How is second best? Maybe he prefers how Linux works or wants a free solution.

We have a Mac in work and I find Ubuntu way easier to use for the things I want to use it for then either Mac or Windows at this stage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I use Kubuntu with the Baghira theme for KDE and matching skins for my browser and media players. Looks as much like MacOS as I'd care to have it, though it could no doubt be tweaked further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

The original poster wants something that is like OS X, and OS X is the most "OS X-like" OS I know of... anything else is second best regarding its similarity to OS X. Also OS X is a much cleaner and better integrated and downright easier-to-use OS than any distro of Linux I've ever come across.

The original poster wants something that is like OS X

No, please read the title of the thread again. He wants something that "looks" like OSX. Big difference there.

And maybe OSX is easier to use for you but many people (and almost everyone here I'd imagine) find Linux more than sufficient and better for their needs than any other OS out there. I do a lot of programming and web server stuff and I've found Linux much better than the alternatives for my purposes. I also do all the other "regular" tasks with my computer such as listen to music, watch films, edit photos etc. The only real problem with Linux is with regard to gaming and I don't play PC games so no problem :)

Also with Linux you have a massive amount of totally free, quality software at your fingertips.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

iRock wrote:
    Any takers?

Screenshots?

http://www.taimila.com/?q=node/11

This is to Mac OS X as I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter is to butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

a5y wrote:
    http://www.taimila.com/?q=node/11

This is to Mac OS X as I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter is to butter.

Someone's had no sleep for a while judging by the work doen at this site! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

As soon as I get a copy of Parallels desktop I think I might use it to run this on my Mac.

Just because a) I can and b) its the most pointless and dumbest idea I've ever had.

:D

Advertisement